OB-5 Construction by Carlos

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
Re: OB-5 Construction by Carlos
« Reply #80 on: 7 Jan 2009, 06:48 pm »
So, I really want to see these on the outside of the speaker, they are just so darn cool looking.
You should not be so artistic with the something no one will see (like I should talk).

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #81 on: 7 Jan 2009, 07:02 pm »
So, I really want to see these on the outside of the speaker, they are just so darn cool looking.
You should not be so artistic with the something no one will see (like I should talk).

I know, I know.  :duh:    I can't help it. I've been an artist my whole life and every project become an art piece.
But really, the form followed function.

I've always loved Victorian machinery and the beauty that would go into parts that would never be seen.  I've tried to sustain that diligence.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #82 on: 8 Jan 2009, 12:22 am »
I seriously considered doing a steampunked version of my speakers (before settling on subtle yet very hard to assemble), and your crossover is almost there.

Carlos, I am convinced that they will have a detrimental effect on the quality of the sound on your OB-5s if they are on the inside  :(.
So, you'll just have to but them on the outside of your speakers  :).
Then, not only will the look good, they can assist with sound refraction in the room  :D.

Dusting might be difficult. :?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #83 on: 8 Jan 2009, 11:51 am »
Acrylic box.  :wink:

WallyWest

« Reply #84 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:25 am »

Simply awesome.  I can't remember seeing a better looking speaker.  That's similar to what I was thinking about doing myself.  Just not quite that ambitious.  I thought pointed ends at the top and bottom of the baffle would look cool and it sure does. 

I wish I had 1/10 of your skill.  Mine will probably end up looking more like your rough mockups.   :lol:

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #85 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:21 pm »
In order to apply the top piece, I had to get a nice even surface on the side angled edges. I did this with the router running along a piece of MDF temporally tacked at the correct angle. This was tricky to do because the base plate had a little bit of flex to it and I had to slightly lift the router as I made the passes to the outside edge of the edges. I then turned the box upside down and slid it over some 150 grit sandpaper glued down to my tablesaw top to get a nice even surface.
I like the look of the box on it's own. I think it has a very pleasing form.
Here's a last shot of the interior and the bass box on it's own without the baffle.
I've finished the box and will now start on the veneer.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #86 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:37 pm »
Wow!
Your attention to detail is an inspiration to all (ok...most) of us.

This image, I just stare at in awe:
Fantastic. Simply amazing.

persisting1

« Reply #87 on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:34 am »
One word comes to mind.

Amazing.

aOBuck

« Reply #88 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:40 pm »
Im hoping to see the final product or the progress as Im sure many others are too. How has the project been going?

Regards, Adam

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #89 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:41 pm »
Im hoping to see the final product or the progress as Im sure many others are too. How has the project been going?

Regards, Adam

Hi. You could say the speakers have been under the weather, ha!, or well actually under the temperature. I'm using contact cement to apply the veneer to the sides and it requires a working temperature of at least 65F. I don't want to do this inside the house and my garage is not heated, so I'm stuck until it warms up a bit. We've been toying with the 60s but had snow yesterday. Next week looks promising, I have my fingers crossed.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #90 on: 19 Apr 2009, 02:56 pm »
Lookin' fantastic as usual, Carlos!  :thumb: :thumb:

klh

« Reply #91 on: 19 Apr 2009, 04:41 pm »
Carlos... I love your imagination. Not only can you design a work of art, but you can fabricate it beautifully and take amazing photos. That and you make it look easy. You are a man of many talents!

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #92 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:28 pm »
Well, finally, warmer days. I was able to start veneering the boxes.  :D
The veneer will go on as 2"-2¼" strips, so the first thing to figure out was how to cut such thin material in parallel strips. I thought about just using a straightedge and razor blade but that wasn't accurate enough.  :? The next test was to see how well it would run through a tablesaw blade. Perfect ! That was it ! So what I did was to essentially make a large GRR-Ripper that would completely cover the veneer and guide it over the saw blade. I lowered the blade and aligned the veneer and guide to the fence, slid them back, raised the blade about an ⅛" and ran it over the blade. Perfect parallel strips !

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2009, 05:09 pm by Voncarlos »

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #93 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:08 pm »
The next thing to do was to get the Cherry strips stained and first-coated before they get applied. Cherry can be problematic when it comes to stain so most folks will lay down a coat of thinned shellac first and this will ensure that the stain takes evenly and you don't end up with a blotchy look . This is what I did first, then a coat of yellow dye followed by the stain and then two topcoats of water based polyurethane. This was the same procedure that I applied to the baffles.

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 03:58 pm by Voncarlos »

alanl

« Reply #94 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:47 pm »
AWESOME! 

Danny Richie

« Reply #95 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:48 pm »
You really are going to stripe that thing aren't you.

Nick77

« Reply #96 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:00 pm »
I dont understand the stripe process but that is the most beautiful color of cherry I have ever seen.  :thumb:

TomW16

« Reply #97 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:06 am »
I am in awe  :thumb: 

Jason Brent

« Reply #98 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:56 am »
sic..... :drool:

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #99 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:03 pm »
When you build something that was only an idea in your head, you're never quite sure if it's going to work out, the way you though and there's always little unknowns that pop up. Happily the veneering went smoothly.
But! When the protective clear coats dried on the Cherry strips, they wanted to slightly curl in the wrong direction, so I had to built a little form to remind them of their place.

The same with the Maple corner strips. They didn't want to make the ¾" radius without cracking, so I applied a little water to the outside face, let time slowly curl them and then placed them in a containment form. Even this was troubling, because if you use to much water, the veneer will crack as it drys. The veneer is a wood-backed veneer