Background Vocals Problem?

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jul 2005, 04:37 am »
After reading this topic and your other one (see my post on active biamping) I would do this:

Figure out what is wrong with your system or your mini 9.0s. Don't try to do 3 or 4 things at once - there is something wrong if you don't hear any recording reproduced correctly. It sounds like either they are not wired correctly, or there is a defective crossover, or a defective driver, or even a loose connection, or a combination of those things. Especially if built from a kit, there are so many possibilities. Also, it could be your preamp or source or connections. Any norh owners in your area? Or any audiophiles? It always helps to have another head looking at ithe problem.

Besides getting the mini 9.0 issue solved I would try to get a pair of marble 9.0s. Make sure they work 100%, not damaged. Sounds like that is what you want in the long run, and they are great for biamping. Would save you the trouble of trying to rig the mini 9.0s for biamping, which can then be sold or kept for rear channels (or front) in a home theater.

Then, hound Curt of IRD to get the PT-2 and PT-3 electronic crossovers to market so that we all have a good active biamping/triamping solution!

aggielaw

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jul 2005, 05:35 am »
j,

Thanks for the thoughts.  I am certain the issue I have is the speakers.  I've explored all possible avenues - I think.  Based on the comments on DM's site, I'm certain the poorly-designed XO is killing me (along with the cinder block walls, windows, and an "open wall" on one side, but that's a whole other story...)

I'm going to try doing exactly as you suggest - sell the mini 9's and buy marble 9.0's.  Then I'll have the new crossover built and I'll continue to use my single amp for now.  I'll biamp next year when I do the next round of upgrades.

That, or I'll just move on to something else.  There are some great values out there in bookshelves right now.  I'd really like to stay with nOrh, though.

Thanks again!