Mahler's 4th Symphony recommendations

mtrot

Mahler's 4th Symphony recommendations
« on: 13 Sep 2018, 01:35 am »
I tuned into Symphony Hall on SiriusXM yesterday and they were playing Mahler's 4th. Of course, it doesn't show who the conductor and symphony were. But my goodness, what gorgeous and flowing music it is!

What are some of your favorite recordings. Thanks in advance.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Mahler's 4th Symphony recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2018, 01:50 am »
Szell and Cleveland are my favorite "old masters" recording.  Tilson Thomas and San Francisco are my favorite modern recording.  Get both!  You can never have too much Mahler :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2018, 01:59 am »
I could suggest Bernard Haitink on Philips at the Concertgebouw Hall:
https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Gustav/dp/B00000E58A
If SACD much better sound quality.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2018, 02:23 am »
Love the RCO and the Concertgebouw is one of the best sounding venues in the world.

mtrot

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2018, 03:07 am »
Thanks for the recommendations!

mtrot

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2018, 04:21 am »
Oh nice, hope you like, its a new recording from 07NOV2006 produced by own RCO label. Sound quality should be great.

mtrot

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2018, 04:23 am »

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2018, 05:07 am »
Haitink is my 3rd choice, and it really does have excellent sound - you won't be disappointed.

firedog

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2018, 06:44 am »
For newer ones, I like:
The Russian National Orchestra (together with the 10th);
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Andris Nelsons (with the 11th)

mtrot

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2018, 10:48 pm »
I've now listened to the Haitink and the Szell, and the Haitink sounds so much better that it almost seems like a different symphony.  The Szell doesn't come close to the performance I heard on SiriusXM, but the Haitink does.  SXM must have some seriously good digital playback equipment. 

rbbert

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2018, 12:40 am »
For newer ones, I like:
The Russian National Orchestra (together with the 10th);
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Andris Nelsons (with the 11th)
Mahler, not Shostakovich  :lol:

Don't neglect Reiner (on SACD), Solti (with Kiri Te Kanawa) or Bernstein (2 very different versions)

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2018, 09:35 pm »
I've now listened to the Haitink and the Szell, and the Haitink sounds so much better that it almost seems like a different symphony.  The Szell doesn't come close to the performance I heard on SiriusXM, but the Haitink does.  SXM must have some seriously good digital playback equipment.

Well, the Szell is widely considered the benchmark recording of Mahler's 4th. Nobody complains about the sonics, mid-60s Columbia is what it is, and I like it esp. now with a SACD copy.

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2018, 09:53 pm »
Well, the Szell is widely considered the benchmark recording of Mahler's 4th. Nobody complains about the sonics, mid-60s Columbia is what it is, and I like it esp. now with a SACD copy.

Randy,
I quite agree, but that's not saying mtrot's preferences are in any way invalid, or wrong.

mtrot,
If you like the Haitink so much, then you should give Tilson Thomas with the San Francisco Symphony a try as well.  Great modern recording and similar style to Haitink, but different enough to still be interesting. 

mojave

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2018, 12:42 am »
Abbado Conducts Mahler Symphonies 1-7 on Blu-ray

Toni Rambold

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2018, 03:42 am »

… nearly a quarter of a century ago HP called the Kletzki "a wonderful surprise".

rbbert

stuardy

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2018, 04:18 am »
Hi. I have collected many Mahler Symphony 4 recordings over the decades. It was the first of the Mahler symphonies I heard on the radio when I was a teenager. My first vinyl record of it was Paul Kletzki with the Philharmonia Orchestra, on EMI/Angel. I no longer have that vinyl disc, but after all these years, and the many recorded performances, I keep going back to the Kletzki on CD, along with the the Thomas/ San Francisco SO on their own SACD in surround, which is almost as lyrical and charming. Kletzki's soloist, Emmy Loose, is possibly the least famous singer ever recorded in the part, but her voice suits the piecemore perfectly than any other I know. For an historical comparison, do not miss the old recording by Mengelberg, with the Concertgebeouw Orchestra. He and Mahler conducted the first two performances of the symphony, on the same concert!