X-MTM Encore build log

ntjetsmoke

Re: X-MTM Encore build log
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2019, 09:45 pm »
Jeff,

I have follow up questions I hope you will help me with:

1. Did you use HOK primer and clear coat? If not what brand did you select?
2. The bin shellac - did you thin it down? What ratio of bin to thinner is correct?
3. Have you finished your speakers? How did you finish your pair?

Thank you

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2019, 11:55 pm »
Great job and incredible finish!  I’m certain your buddy will really enjoy.  Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ed

jeffwhetstone

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2019, 12:30 am »
Thanks Ed.   Yes, my buddy is really enjoying them.

Ntjetsmoke, 

1)  No, I cheaped out and used the primer and clear I had on hand.   What I used was:

Speedokote SMR-210  Grey 2K Primer   w/ SMR-211 activator
Speedokote SMR-1150  Urethane Clear   w/ SMR-1102-Q Activator Medium.

Fortunately, I had no compatibility issues.

2)  Nope, I sprayed the BIN straight from the (fresh) can.   It doesn't require any thinning when spraying with a 1.4mm tip.   If you have a can that's been open for a while you might want to add a little denatured alcohol.

3)  Unfortunately, no.   Life is getting in the way, and I decided I'm not going to paint my X-MTMs until I finish building the matching center and rear channels, and subwoofers.     Hopefully later this fall.    Still leaning towards metal flake though...

Jeff

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2019, 04:09 am »
Jeff,

Thank you for your quick response to my questions. Your answers are very helpful.

My progress to become a painter looks like this:

1. Bought a sheet of 1/2 inch mdf and cut it into 2' x 2' squares.

2. Bought rattle cans of Kilz and Zinsser shellac.  Cans of guide coat, 2K primer, and 2k clear coat.

3. I sanded test pieces with 150 grit paper and then sprayed the Kilz and the Zinsser on to respective test squares. Using the guide coat to
    gauge progress. I applied three coats of the respective primer / sealer using the guide coat after each new coat. Sand paper grit went from 150 followed by 220 grit and then 320 grit.

4. I then sprayed both with the 2K rattle can primer and sanded with 600 grit. Note: both test pieces became flat but the piece withe the Kilz
  required more sanding to achieve the same flatness. I then sprayed  three coats of rattle can glossy paint  followed by the rattle can 2K clear coat. The next step is to buy a HVLP gun and the sealer / primer / base coat / clear coat and practice technique on each step including flatting as needed.

Again, your build log and continuing input makes a significant difference in my progress, thank you!

Scott Poerschke

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:30 pm »
Can you send me a PDF of the cut sheets to scott@rsplegal.com?   There is a picture of the cut sheet in the first photograph on this thread. 

Thank you,

Scott

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2020, 09:50 pm »
Can you send me a PDF of the cut sheets to ?   There is a picture of the cut sheet in the first photograph on this thread. 

Thank you,

Scott

When you get 3 posts you can send him a private message.
Then PM me to delete this post with your email so you don't get spammed.

jeffwhetstone

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2020, 04:02 am »
Email sent!

bithloman

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2021, 03:50 am »
Thanks Ed.   Yes, my buddy is really enjoying them.

Jeff

Hello i am currently building the mtm encore speakers. anyone know where i can find the layout for the crossover? i have the schematic but finding it very basic and need some help thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2021, 06:18 pm »
Hello i am currently building the mtm encore speakers. anyone know where i can find the layout for the crossover? i have the schematic but finding it very basic and need some help thanks

Here's a link to my X-CS Encore & X-MTM Encore (same speaker just different cabinets) build thread. Reply 32 on page 2 shows how I laid out the crossover.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2021, 06:19 pm »
Here's a link to my X-CS Encore & X-MTM Encore (same speaker just different cabinets) build thread. Reply 32 on page 2 shows how I laid out the crossover.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128392.20

Mike

bithloman

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2021, 06:37 pm »

perfect i saw that but since there are 3 i wasnt sure if it was for for the x mtm encore or the other speakers you were also building. thanks! where do the positive and negative wires that lead to the binding posts attach?

bithloman

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2021, 06:39 pm »
actually i think i see you attached all positive and negative too two separate points to attach the wires. makes sense.

Mekic

« Reply #32 on: 7 Mar 2024, 07:54 am »
Hi,

Can you please add some pictures of damping? I see that kit doesn’t include damping material, and recommend is approximately 100USD. I wonder what have you used?

Kind Regards to all