Anyone jailbreak?

sts9fan

Anyone jailbreak?
« on: 10 May 2010, 01:55 am »
My iPhone has become much more interesting.

JohnR

Re: Anyone jailbreak?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2010, 10:41 am »
You mean more apps? Do tell.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2010, 01:15 pm »
Very easy and pretty safe if you are smart.  With your knowledge of computers this is a cake walk.
Basiclly this allows you to load apps that are not apple approved.  There are more "app stores" then just apples.  Plus there are apps that do things that apple does not approve of such as tethering.
The first step is to go to www.spiritjb.com and jailbreak your phone.  They you load the Cydia app that is a new app "store".  There are other app "stores" such as "rockyourphone" which has the mywi tethering app. 
here is a cydia walkthrough
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2008/07/how-to-use-cydia-a-walkthrough/

You can also now change the look of your iphone with themes which is fun.

One important note is that jailbraking inables SSH client which can open you to worms and such.  Because of this you need to change your passwords as all iphones have the same password 'alpine'.  You need to change both the login passwd and the root passwd.  This is done with the mobile terminal app which is also very cool.
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-secure-your-jailbroken-iphone-from-ssh-hack-9140084/

anyone else? Spiritjb could not be easier.  Also if anything does go wrong.  You always can facotry reset and you have the iTunes back up.  Make sure you get a jailbroken app back up app.  Finally do not upgrade your firmware untill the new jailbreaks have been released.
Have fun.  Apple is not the boss of you.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2010, 01:52 pm »
Thanks for the links.  I used to jailbreak my iPhone way back pawning it using T-mobile as the provider.  I switched to AT&T with my 32GB iPhone 3GS recently so no need to jailbreak it for now.  LOL.

It is truly a walk in the park.  Simply create your own firmware and upload it via iTunes.  Done and cooked in a few minutes.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2010, 01:57 pm »
Just so we are clear jailbread is not unlocking the provider.  Also things have come a long way from pwnage pineapple.  SpiritJB is a non-tethered jailbreak.  So you can reboot your phone unlike old versions.  Without the jb you cannot use all the fun apps apple whould like you to never know about. 

chgolatin2

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
This doesnt work for the 3GS correct???

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2010, 08:23 pm »
Works like a charm on the 3GS.  Thats what I have. 

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2010, 12:04 am »
Just a courtesy disclaimer/reminder:

Anyone who jailbreaks their iPhone (or I-whatever device) does so at their own risk. If you're not confident about doing it, don't.

Also, please keep the discussion of jailbreaking generic (as it's been so far). No specifics and/or tutorials here as there are many other appropriate web sites available that are specific to the process.

Thanks.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2010, 01:05 am »
You can turn your 3GS into or iBrick.  :LOL:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2010, 12:49 pm »
Anyone who jailbreaks their iPhone (or I-whatever device) does so at their own risk. If you're not confident about doing it, don't.

What he said

xsajohn

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:54 pm »
You can turn your 3GS into or iBrick.  :LOL:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not true. It is always possible to restore your Iphone back to factory settings with Recovery mode to Itunes. I've jailbroken more times than I can remember - never any problems.

Jason Brent

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:12 pm »
I thought the newest 3GS models (can't remember the cut off date) they haven't been able to jb?

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:23 pm »
Why buy a phone that you have to hack?  Why not buy a Droid that you don't have to hack?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:37 pm »
Why buy a phone that you have to hack?  Why not buy a Droid that you don't have to hack?

Not having made a decision yet (iPhone vs Droid), the best that I can gather is because it's too big and has poor battery life.

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:38 pm »
It's better. Also you don't have to hack it.

Jason Brent

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:43 pm »
I bought a Nexus one after they had the AT&T version.  Love it, mostly.  Like most things in life, it's not perfect but it offers more functionality for my uses.

I did hack mine to gain some more functionality, but stock it's comparable to a jb'd iphone imo.