X-Statik won Best Value Speaker from Stereomojo

Danny Richie

Re: X-Statik won Best Value Speaker from Stereomojo
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2009, 03:39 pm »
I think he is getting creative in dealing with the back wave. Some rear wall treatment behind the speakers might be a better solution, but this might be a reasonable alternative. It really depends on the room as to whether things like that are necessary.

Maybe we can convince him to try a Ninja upgrade and line them with No Rez.

Also, I know those JL Audio subs are some hard hitting monsters, but I'd love to get him to try some of our servo subs. I think that they will eat those JL's up in sound quality across the board.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2009, 03:47 pm »
I'll speak with him and as he lives in Boulder, maybe I can pay him a visit.  Would you be willing to loan one of your subs for this?  I could go over and personally install everything...

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 1 May 2009, 03:53 pm »
Would ysubs for this?ou be willing to loan one of your

I am only stocking woofers and amps.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #23 on: 1 May 2009, 04:03 pm »
I'll build the box and assemble if I can keep it once the loan is over ;)

I am only stocking woofers and amps.

BradJudy

« Reply #24 on: 1 May 2009, 04:17 pm »
I wanted to share the new x-statik network with you all...

This must be one of those fancy new wireless crossovers.  :)

I see you've started to use VitaminQ caps for bypass - do you like them more than the Sonicaps?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2009, 04:21 pm »
Indeed ;)  The file names are xstatik-early and voce-early smartass ;)

The VQ's are just another option.  I like them but it depends on the speaker, room and electronics...

Jon L

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2009, 04:51 pm »
Indeed ;)  The file names are xstatik-early and voce-early smartass ;)

The VQ's are just another option.  I like them but it depends on the speaker, room and electronics...

Yeah, I like'em, too.  What value Vit Q's are in there?  (uF, V)

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2009, 07:48 pm »
>>
Yeah, I like'em, too.  What value Vit Q's are in there?  (uF, V)
<<

We have 0.18uF, 600 v I believe but I have to check that.

Steven Stone

« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2009, 03:35 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've been enjoying the X-Statik and Voces very much even with only my simple-minded mods :).

In response to Danny's comment about my back wall - it's already damped with a series of ASC panels. I just wanted to reduce the amount of midrange energy which comes off the backs of the midrange drivers themselves. Also the metal enclosure on the back of the driver has a resonant frequency that can be excited at higher SPLs that I wanted to damp.

I have several questions:

1. Have you investigated upgrades to the drivers on the X-Statik and Voce? I think the cabinet and basic design is great, but I'd love to hear what sonic changes better components would make.

2. Has anyone tried to make a sandwich of two layers of No-Rez that could mount on the backs of the X-Statik's two midrange drivers? The first layer would have two holes to pressure fit over the backs of the drivers. The overall size would be a rectangle slightly larger than the length and width of the distance between the two midrange drivers. Imagine a No-Rez "plate" that blacked rear-firing energy but still allowed free air around the baskets.

I'm looking forward to getting together with Sean so he can hear my set-up and to see what we can work out in the way of mods (I especially like the idea of an external x-over).

Milehighguy

« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2009, 11:49 pm »
When tightening the screws on my x-statics, it felt like some of them were on the verge of stripping, so I went out and got new screws that are 1/4" longer ( #8 screws, 1 inch length are the new ones, #8 3/4 inch are the stock screws). They feel much more secure, and I swear the imaging and detail improved.

I would like to hear these speakers with a BG neo 3 tweeter.

The cabinet is excellant with  a 2'' baffle, 1'' bass walls, extra dense mdf, and bracing, so it's a great platform for making improvements in other areas.

I just have to decide between upgrading these, or invest the money in the next level up speakers, which are the ob5 or ob7.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2009, 11:52 pm »
When tightening the screws on my x-statics, it felt like some of them were on the verge of stripping, so I went out and got new screws that are 1/4" longer ( #8 screws, 1 inch length are the new ones, #8 3/4 inch are the stock screws). They feel much more secure, and I swear the imaging and detail improved.

The cabinet is excellant with  a 2'' baffle, 1'' bass walls, extra dense mdf, and bracing, so it's a great platform for making improvements in other areas.

I just have to decide between upgrading these, or invest the money in the next level up speakers, which are the ob5 or ob7.

If the new screws aren't brass, try some brass screws, you will be shaking your head in disbelief.

George

Nick77

« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2009, 12:08 am »
I have been wanting to give Steve's mod a try on my OB's and have been trying to find some felt locally but striking out. Would acoustic foam acomplish desired results as well?

Steven Stone

« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2009, 12:58 am »
I also tightened the screws holding in the drivers and a few were on the verge (or past) of stripping.

Longer screws - Brilliant! I'm channeling the Guiness stout guys...

And brass...but won't that look sort of, er, fuggly?

A BG tweeter, or perhaps the one used in the Genesis 6.1 designed by Arnie Nudell...drool...

Felt - I just googled my way into a site that had both 1/2" and 3/4" felt sheets.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2009, 01:05 am »
I also tightened the screws holding in the drivers and a few were on the verge (or past) of stripping.

Longer screws - Brilliant! I'm channeling the Guiness stout guys...

And brass...but won't that look sort of, er, fuggly?

A BG tweeter, or perhaps the one used in the Genesis 6.1 designed by Arnie Nudell...drool...

Felt - I just googled my way into a site that had both 1/2" and 3/4" felt sheets.

Brass screws may or may not look fuggly, but I can tell you they sound much better than steel or aluminum screws.

They don't look bad on this speaker:

George

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2009, 01:23 am »
Hello Steven,

Thanks for joining in over here, and thanks for the well written review.

I just wanted to reduce the amount of midrange energy which comes off the backs of the midrange drivers themselves.

You may have great results in doing this. It might be a mixed bag for others though as it will alter the back wall reflections. It might come down to a subjective issue.

Also the metal enclosure on the back of the driver has a resonant frequency that can be excited at higher SPLs that I wanted to damp.

I would think that it would take quite a bit to set that shielding cut off. It would take just the right frequency range to excite it too. The fact that the frame is a high strength polymer will keep it from transmitting anything to the front baffle (a big plus). No frame ringing either.

A small piece of No Rez would do it.

You might kill two birds with one stone cutting a narrow strip of No Rez and wrapping it around the outside of the shielding cup. It is easy to cut, and the pressure sensitive adhesive will make it easy to apply.

Have you investigated upgrades to the drivers on the X-Statik and Voce?

It would be tough to upgrade them. They are already top level drivers.

I have used every top level tweeter out there from Revelators, Millennium's, Usher, etc. As dome tweeters go this one is right there.

The woofers will be tough to beat without getting crazy too.

I think the cabinet and basic design is great, but I'd love to hear what sonic changes better components would make.

That can be fairly significant. You'd be really surprised. Lining the cabinet with No Rez and stepping up the quality of caps and resistors goes a long way. You could take it even further with a point to point wired network with better wire and inductors.

The BG tweeter is a step up. You can't add it to the existing X-Statik though as it physically will not fit. If you want to go that route then you might as well build a set of OB-7's.

I have been wanting to give Steve's mod a try on my OB's and have been trying to find some felt locally but striking out. Would acoustic foam acomplish desired results as well?

No Rez would be easy to use, but you (Nick) don't have the ringing of the shielding cups to contend with as your drivers are not shielded.

The BG is one of the best I have ever used. If the Genesis uses the one I am thinking of then I would pass on it. It has no rear chamber or back wave damping. The Fs is really high and it won't play down below 3kHz well at all. The BG is the complete opposite.

Milehighguy

« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2009, 01:53 am »
I should also mention that I also removed the grill covers ( as much for looks as sound) but then was left with the pegs that hold the covers still jutting out from the cabinet. Removing the pegs left holes. So when I was out shopping for screws (no, not on the "casual encounters" section of craigs's list...) I also was looking for something to cover the holes where the pegs were attached to the baffle. I found some 1/4''- 20 x 1/2'' round head slotted machine screws (zinc) that fit perfectly. They problem was that they were silver color and the baffle is rosewood (fuggly). The lady at home depot suggested I cover the heads of the screws with black fingernail polish, or rustoleum spray paint. She also advised me to try ''Fasteners Inc.'' at 1895 Dartmouth in Denver, to get black screws. Fasteners Inc. was closed at the time.
So, I went to walgreens, shopping for fingernail polish. The sales lady had a puzzled look on her face when she saw me perusing the fingernail polish isle, but I explained what I was doing and she helped me find an appropriate brand and shade (''Black on Black'').
I painted the polish on the screw heads and put them in the baffle holes. Getting some of the pegs out required pliers covered in cloth, as some of the pegs were in too tight to screw out by hand.
So now, the baffle looks better, with it's little round shiny ''fingernails".
I'll probably shop Fasteners Inc. later and see what they have also.
I suppose the fingernail polish or rustoleum technique could be used if somebody wanted to use brass screws on the drivers.

persisting1

« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2009, 02:11 pm »
I should also mention that I also removed the grill covers ( as much for looks as sound) but then was left with the pegs that hold the covers still jutting out from the cabinet. Removing the pegs left holes. So when I was out shopping for screws (no, not on the "casual encounters" section of craigs's list...) I also was looking for something to cover the holes where the pegs were attached to the baffle. I found some 1/4''- 20 x 1/2'' round head slotted machine screws (zinc) that fit perfectly. They problem was that they were silver color and the baffle is rosewood (fuggly). The lady at home depot suggested I cover the heads of the screws with black fingernail polish, or rustoleum spray paint. She also advised me to try ''Fasteners Inc.'' at 1895 Dartmouth in Denver, to get black screws. Fasteners Inc. was closed at the time.
So, I went to walgreens, shopping for fingernail polish. The sales lady had a puzzled look on her face when she saw me perusing the fingernail polish isle, but I explained what I was doing and she helped me find an appropriate brand and shade (''Black on Black'').
I painted the polish on the screw heads and put them in the baffle holes. Getting some of the pegs out required pliers covered in cloth, as some of the pegs were in too tight to screw out by hand.
So now, the baffle looks better, with it's little round shiny ''fingernails".
I'll probably shop Fasteners Inc. later and see what they have also.
I suppose the fingernail polish or rustoleum technique could be used if somebody wanted to use brass screws on the drivers.

Lets see some pictures :hyper:

Milehighguy

« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2009, 05:05 pm »
Maybe I can get my wife to show me how to post pix, and I can put some up later. Another idea I had was to find a shade of fingernail polish that matches the rosewood veneer. My wife didn't like that idea, though, and thinks the black is best.
It's tough to argue with a woman about fingernail polish.

Kevin R

« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2009, 10:17 am »
Maybe I can get my wife to show me how to post pix, and I can put some up later. Another idea I had was to find a shade of fingernail polish that matches the rosewood veneer. My wife didn't like that idea, though, and thinks the black is best.
It's tough to argue with a woman about fingernail polish.

Has the wife showed you yet?  :scratch:

If you need to send them to me at vtechviffer@yahoo.com and I can post them. I'm curious to see them as I have also taken the grilles off of mine.

Almost forgot, Danny, another congrats from me too. I had to go to Longmount to get mine from David but it was well worth the trip.

Regards...

Steven Stone

« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2009, 03:53 pm »
Here's another option instead of painting screws:

http://www.pro-dec.com/

These guys make plastic screw covers. This will give the holes a finished look that painted screws can't. Also since they are soft plastic they will not have any negative resonant properties. I just bought 64 washer/covers (its a two part system) for $12.60.