dual H-frame woofer orientation

drphoto

dual H-frame woofer orientation
« on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:33 pm »
I think I saw on the website that you get the same performance w/ a dual H-frame w/ both driver facing forward as to opposed. Is this correct. Or am I hallucinating again?  Certainly be easier to wire w/ everything on one side. Primary use for now is w/ Maggie LRS w/ GR crossover. Does the opposed style make it more like a dipole and so integrate better, or does the open design make that happen either way? Thanks for any insight.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: dual H-frame woofer orientation
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:56 pm »
In theory, having one driver facing backwards helps to even out the pressure differences between the front and back waves, as the motor structure will affect the movement of the sound waves passing around it. In reality, the difference is very minor, and the room will have a much larger affect to their sound than the orientation of the woofers.

Going with both forward is easier to wire, but tends to be a little back-heavy on carpets.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2024, 08:37 pm »
Cool, thanks. Yeah, be easier to wire w/ everything on one side, and not need to buy as much. Not worried about it tipping, as my listening area has industrial type carpet. Eventually pull that up and put in vinyl plank.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2024, 10:31 pm »
Oh, BTW was on the website looking to buy the hookup wire for the subs. Is there any difference between the the solid core and stranded in terms of sound. I assume the stranded is more flexible. For the subs, it seems like the cleanest install would be to stick the wire to the baffle, which might be easier w/ the solid. Thanks for any info.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2024, 12:40 am »
We actually use/supply a different gauge wire for the servo subs than we provide with our speaker kits.

The wire for the subs is 14AWG stranded wire, everything else is 16AWG.

The 14awg wire is $1 per foot.

You can always use cable tie mounts to secure the wiring to the cabinet as well.