Picking a phono stage

grantmethepower

Picking a phono stage
« on: 22 Mar 2023, 04:59 am »
Hi, I’m a new member looking to buy my first “serious” phono stage after realizing I wanted more than the mani and the project that I’d had. I’m debating between a Sutherland 2020 or a parasound jc3 Jr. I found a classified ad on here I was going to respond to but it said I needed three posits so I thought I’d chime in here. Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Picking a phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2023, 10:48 am »
Dont know how these phono stage are.
I would suggest a tube phono stage though.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2023, 12:32 pm by FullRangeMan »

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2023, 11:09 am »
I encourage you to tell us more about your system (particularly your current turntable, tonearm and cartridge) , room, and approximate listening % between analog vs. digital source listening. The two phono preamps you list are both very good, but there may be a better match with your vinyl set up.

NB

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2023, 01:02 pm »
Welcome!

NoRust

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2023, 06:00 pm »
I am also new here and was in a similar situation to you 3 months ago re upgrading my phono stage.  All the above suggestions are solid, especially from Nature Boy as everyones system and music tastes differ.  I would also encourage you to check out one of the sponsors on this site - Modwright.  Dan Wright is on this forum and was very helpful to me when I was narrowing down my choices.  Besides he is a great guy :) I am biased as I did go with the Modwright 9.0 phono stage and oh my what a difference it made.  Good luck!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2023, 02:25 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2023, 03:30 am »
The Modwright is probably an excellent phono stage, but it's out of my price range.  I've had some very nice phono preamps... Dodd, Hagerman Trumpet, even some of the Graham Slee products.  I find I can get a quality I'm happy with at the $1K level.   

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2023, 02:46 pm »
I have heard the Parasound JC3 Jr and it is quite nice. It was hard to really tell as it was a friend's system with not the best room setup, but it was a good overall impression I got from that.

You could also look at a Tubes4HiFi PH16 phono stage for something nice but cost effective (relatively). Assembled is about $1K and additional upgrades are available, but if you're handy with a soldering iron they're a few hundred cheaper. I'll be taking on that project over the summer.