They Knew How to Record back then.

Mag

They Knew How to Record back then.
« on: 25 Mar 2023, 02:14 pm »
  Listening to Petula Clark- Downtown, the song brings a tear to my eye and what a stellar recording. They knew how to record back in the '60's that IMO was lost somewhere. Downside though is damn near everything was in mono. :smoke:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: They Knew How to Record back then.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2023, 07:58 pm »
Most pop music was mono because the market was reached by AM radio broadcast.  Teens were playing LP's on their mom and dad's consoles.
Classical and jazz were mostly available in stereo after 1958, and usually very well recorded.  In classical they refer to the Golden Age of RCA, Columbia, and Mercury during that 58' to 68' decade.  For Jazz the same years but include Blue Note, Impulse, Epic, Atlantic, Riverside, and Verve lables. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2023, 08:39 pm »
Great recordings were taped at 15ips what was a rare feature due the tape price, tô my know only Sheffield recorded at 30ips.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2023, 08:48 pm »
Around 1960 RCA, Mercury, and Command had moved away from standard tape and were using 35mm tape.  At that point, the 15 ips or 30 ips wasn't much of a factor.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2023, 11:11 pm »
Celluloid had not audiophile sound as magnetic tape.

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2023, 01:40 am »
I assume the reference is to 35mm magnetic tape. Celluloid, used for movies, was optically encoded. As you say, it definitely did not allow for audiophile sound.

I would have to imagine that RCA, Mercury, and Command were moving to a wider magnetic tape not celluloid.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2023, 02:14 am »
I suppose that tape was for 8 tracks and more expensive.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2023, 03:01 am »
I assume the reference is to 35mm magnetic tape. Celluloid, used for movies, was optically encoded. As you say, it definitely did not allow for audiophile sound.

I would have to imagine that RCA, Mercury, and Command were moving to a wider magnetic tape not celluloid.
Yes.  It was sprocketed 35mm magnetic tape.  Cured  wow and flutter issues.   Also the tape is thicker ... less saturation and no print through.  Just a better process.   

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2023, 01:15 pm »
I didn't know that 35mm magnetic sprocketed tape was ever used. Live and learn! Do you know how many channels were implemented? Of course  once multi-track mono became the rage (for production mixing purposes) heads and electronics proliferated, lots of money flowed into the business and 2" tape eventually became the standard for studio recordings.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2023, 03:52 pm »
  Listening to Petula Clark- Downtown, the song brings a tear to my eye and what a stellar recording. They knew how to record back in the '60's that IMO was lost somewhere. Downside though is damn near everything was in mono. :smoke:

Tubed all analog everything in the recording chain. Less complicated mixers and Engineers. Using a mono cartridge of today with a mono LP will give ya goosebumps.

charles

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2023, 05:30 pm »
Most of the great recordings of RCA and Mercury used a three channel mixed to two for stereo.  Not sure what Blue Note, Command, Everest, or  Impulse used. 
And Charles and I agree on the impact of a good mono cartridge with older mono vinyl. 
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2023, 09:00 pm by S Clark »

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2023, 07:00 pm »
I've long felt that good mono recordings beat the heck out of poorly recorded "stereo". When I spent an afternoon listening to Mr. Miyajima's eponymous hand-build speakers, electronics and MC cartridges in his showroom in Japan a couple of years ago, he played mono jazz LPs exclusively (a wonderful host he and his son were indeed, real audiophiles). Yeah, they sure could produce goosebumps! A coincident (or close to it) pair of mics will produce a solid mono-compatible signal and a really convincing true stereo with only two channels, but it is almost always used by recording purists, and not practical for mass market commercial recordings.