Nutty Narwhal development Status

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
Nutty Narwhal development Status
« on: 22 Feb 2023, 05:50 pm »
So many of us are looking forward to this release.
Can someone please tell us when we can expect to see something
Please!

GSDaudio

Re: Nutty Narwhal development Status
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2023, 08:53 pm »
+1  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2023, 08:59 pm »
Hi Folks

NN is no more - it is now part of OS3
Time-line is sometime this summer.

james

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2023, 09:14 pm »
Take your time. Manic Moose is fine.

Clive197

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2023, 12:53 am »
Take your time. Manic Moose is fine.

Beg to differ. I look forward to OS3.

alanford69

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2023, 08:39 am »
NN is no more - it is now part of OS3

james

Thanks James, could you give us any anticipation? Will it be based on latest MPD version? Will it support SMB v2 or v3 NAS protocols?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2023, 01:01 pm »
Sorry not questions I can answer - will leave to Chris for comment

james

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2023, 11:43 pm »
Beg to differ. I look forward to OS3.

I'm not mad at you; just selfish. :D Manic Moose is working quite well for me. I hate the anticipation of a learning curve and bugs with OS3. :(

J2Ordan

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2023, 02:38 am »
Well, OK here we go once more.

I get it; for streaming folks, the Moose is frumpy. With Qobuz, albums are added in order of being added. Not alphabetically or better yet integrated with one's ripped albums in a pretty "Artist View."

Reality is the BDP (1,2 or3) is a computer for audio playback. The task of developing an OS to play nice with all of these and all of the various streaming services available is not an easy feat. Kudos to the software engineers  (and management) at Bryston for not abandoning older/lower spec hardware as computer software and manufacturers do. This alone may well have eased the task.

The Moose may be graying but is stable, great sounding and the Artist View for my 1400 + ripped Cd's is just fine. In the meantime for a slicker streaming interface, a laptop or tablet can always be plugged into the DAC.

So, once more, I stand with GBaby on the Moose. Your mileage with most certainly vary.

Enjoy the Sounds,

John

Clive197

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2023, 11:52 am »
I'm not mad at you; just selfish. :D Manic Moose is working quite well for me. I hate the anticipation of a learning curve and bugs with OS3. :(

I’m happy you’re satisfied with Manic Moose. Clearly you’ve never used a solid stable app like AURALiC’s Lightning or Roon.
I owned an Aries streamer for a couple of years and found ‘Lightening’ to be a great interface and when I changed to the BR20 and started to use Manic Moose I was amazed just how clumsy it is. In my opinion Bryston produce fantastic kit and I can’t see me ever parting with my 4B3 and BR20 which i honestly believe will be the beating heart of my final system. However the same can’t be said about Manic Moose which is well past its sell-by date. Maybe if I had never used a superior controller I would be as happy as you clearly are.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2023, 07:59 am »

gbaby, I have already explained to you that you need not upgrade if you like MM so much.  When the software update comes just ignore it.
 Please stop derailing all these threads that you clearly have no interest in.  If you want Bryston to succeed and continue making streamers then let them make the software as feature rich as possible and as the market demands.  People are making buying decisions based on the software not only hardware, and MM is the Achilles' heel.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2023, 08:02 am »
I get it; for streaming folks, the Moose is frumpy. With Qobuz, albums are added in order of being added. Not alphabetically or better yet integrated with one's ripped albums in a pretty "Artist View."

That’s not bad. With Tidal we are having to log in every day or on every boot because MM is using a very old API that no longer meets Tidal policy requirements. Albums are difficult to find or don’t show up in artist view at all. If Bryston could at least fix that I could continue limping along with MM.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2023, 03:37 pm by Stefan_DR3 »

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2023, 08:03 am »
... it is now part of OS3

Darn, any chance for a preview of OS3 at the Montreal show?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2023, 12:48 pm »
No but the engineer developing the OS3 will be there.

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2023, 02:24 pm »
No but the engineer developing the OS3 will be there.

james

So now that the show has happened, did anyone get sufficient information about OS3 from Chris?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2023, 04:30 pm »
So now that the show has happened, did anyone get sufficient information about OS3 from Chris?

No, I didn't see Chris there  :(

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:41 pm »
No, I didn't see Chris there  :(

I was thinking of making an appearance, but the weather kept me home.  One of the other software developers may have been there, but if he was I don't think it was for the whole show.  OS3 (aka the new Nutty Narwhal) is still under development, Its a complete rewrite from scratch. 

Chris

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:51 pm »
I was thinking of making an appearance, but the weather kept me home.  One of the other software developers may have been there, but if he was I don't think it was for the whole show.  OS3 (aka the new Nutty Narwhal) is still under development, Its a complete rewrite from scratch. 

Chris

Good to know Chris. Thanks for posting.
By the way... everyone on this forum (almost everyone!) is asking what features it will have.
You must have a target design you’re working towards. Will you share the bullet points of the design goals with us?
I, for one, would like to know if we’re going to see it this year as promised.

Your work is very much appreciated by all us Bryston fans.
Thank you.

gil99

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2023, 06:52 pm »
Will the new OS3 be compatible with the BDP1.  Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2023, 02:36 am »
Will the new OS3 be compatible with the BDP1.  Thanks

BDP-1 support isn't looking good, but I'm hoping to have an upgrade path available for BDP-1's but part shortages have made it difficult.