My take on new Khartago

BikeFi10

My take on new Khartago
« on: 9 Jan 2023, 05:07 pm »
My Kismet in Khartago has been on 24/7 for about 19 days.
About 120 hours music has been sourced to it.
Had my 1st critical listen a couple nights ago through my Maggie 1.7i s.
No "knock my socks off" experience.
It was stable without the "jeckel hyde" affects.
It does seem to handle high peaks of music a bit better than my 40 year old, recapped, Carver 300wpc into 4 ohms amp.
A bit more detail and cleairity in mid to upper frequencys. No noticeable difference on lows.
I was concerned it's much lower wattage might be weak for Maggies, but it does seem to be more about current than watts for these speakers.
10:00 position gain on KiK pretty much same spl as the Carver amp for what thats worth.
I know it still in early stage of its breakin so hopefully it will shine a bit more.

Dishman442

Re: My take on new Khartago
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2023, 08:36 pm »
I was enjoying mine at about the 2 week point (always on) but like you, it wasn’t “keeping me up nights”.  It continued to improve tho.  The higher frequencies getting sweeter were first noticed, then inner details (sound stage) really bloomed. I thought it was done and sounded great, but at 6 months it opened up dramatically in the bass. Sounded like another octave was added subjectively, but bass control improved too. Now they (monoblocks) were kicking ass, as Klaus likes to say.

These amps replaced a 20 year old pair of 400 wpc Krell monoblocks and are better in every regard, and that’s with my speakers being a bitch to drive.  Current rules!  You will have fun hearing that amp get better and better.

JMW73

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2023, 12:56 am »
Please take this with a grain of salt... this is from some guy on the internet that doesn't know you, your system, your room, etc.

When I read that you didn't have a "knock my socks off" experience, it made me think that you probably have issues that an amplifier won't fix.  Speaker placement, room issues, etc. 

Also, the jeckle and hyde comes from multiple listening sessions.  It'll sound one way one day, and different on another.

BikeFi10

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2023, 07:56 pm »
Dishman, wow 6 months. I wonder if I can speed up that time by sourcing music as much as possible even without listening as Ive been doing. Of the 120 + running music hours, Ive listened maybe 12 hours.

JMW, you make a valid point. Let me note that an Analog Production pressing like Nora Jones sounds beautiful even with my old amp. Thats my play when friends check out my system.
Granted, my room treatments DO need to be enhanced. Need better defusion behind Maggies even tho they're 4ft from front wall, 4 ft from side walls, 5 ft apart, LP 9ft back, 12ft behind LP to back wall. Just cant get them to "disappear". Ive tried LP froward & back.
Also, as much as I love my 40 year old recapped Carver pre amp with SO MANY functions Im sure a higher end pre amp (Candela, maybe) would benefit.

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2023, 01:45 am »
While I am advocating for proper setup first, my Candela was an excellent addition to my system.  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2023, 08:13 pm »
My Kismet in Khartago has been on 24/7 for about 19 days.
About 120 hours music has been sourced to it.
Had my 1st critical listen a couple nights ago through my Maggie 1.7i s.
No "knock my socks off" experience.
It was stable without the "jeckel hyde" affects.
It does seem to handle high peaks of music a bit better than my 40 year old, recapped, Carver 300wpc into 4 ohms amp.
A bit more detail and cleairity in mid to upper frequencys. No noticeable difference on lows.
I was concerned it's much lower wattage might be weak for Maggies, but it does seem to be more about current than watts for these speakers.
10:00 position gain on KiK pretty much same spl as the Carver amp for what thats worth.
I know it still in early stage of its breakin so hopefully it will shine a bit more.

Report back after 500 hours. It's a bitch but fruitful in the end. Then try different speaker cables.

charles

Dishman442

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2023, 05:31 am »
If you mess with anything else right now, you won’t know which change made a difference. Everyone who owns one knows, those amps get better and better.

To repeat, mine sounded great long before 6 months, but a very nice surprise was still in store. Relax, enjoy the journey.

BikeFi10

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2023, 03:50 pm »
Rollo, what speaker cables do you suggest? Im using standard 12awg copper cables with midgrade banna plugs. Not in budget now, but I research a long time before big $ purchases.
Thats a tough call as to next upgrade. Cartridge, cables, pre amp. Pre amp is long down the road.
Have to put big $ into house for fam members staying for awhile. Losing listening room ☹. Maybe making garage basically suitable for listening room during mild months. Cannot heat extra 4200 cubic ft. So no $ for system this year.
Yes, Ill just enjoy what I have. Its quite good with great recordings and pretty good with ok recordings.