I am sick with Apple 's attitude

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
I am sick with Apple 's attitude
« on: 14 Dec 2021, 09:18 pm »
I have been trying to sign up for Apple TV Plus for a month, unsuccessfully.  I have done at least 4 screenshare episodes with them.  What it all seems to boil down to is I need to own an Apple device to get Apple TV Plus.  This last 30 minute 4 part long-distance conversation (it keeps being interrupted when they send me a code by phone which requires me to disconnect from their advisor) resulted in my being told I needed to put iTunes on my PC, which I refused to do ( I use JRiver).  So as of today, I am still unable to watch Apple TV Plus.

routlaw

Re: I am sick with Apple 's attitude
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2021, 09:30 pm »
If I'm not mistaken you have to have an iTunes account to access this stuff. You don't actually have to use iTunes for anything, but just be signed in to the account. It cost nothing, easy to do. Might give it a try and see if this works.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2021, 09:50 pm »
It looks like an Apple ID account can be setup via their web page, but there must be something more to the process if these issues are coming up. https://appleid.apple.com/account

On what device would Apple TV+ be used (if it ever got working)? Would it be setup as an app on a smart TV?

Some details might help someone spot a workaround. It is curious. Most of the streaming services, like Amazon Prime and Netflix, can authenticate by having you grab a code from their websites to link your account to the device (e.g., a Roku or smart TV).

It sounds like maybe Apple doesn't generate the linking code via its website. Rather, it sends it to an Apple device or to a computer with iTunes installed?

Does iTunes takeover system resources from JRiver on Windows? Or could it be installed and removed without issue?

It does sound frustrating.  :o

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2021, 09:55 pm »
I also sick with Microsoft,  mainly the W11 trap but W10/11 are free.

Jan_Mc

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2021, 10:17 pm »
I've also done the complete run around with Apple.  For a technology company they have the worst technology workers and some of the worst programming.  I did get Apple TV to work on my PC but it can't even remember what episodes I have watched.  It has no trouble keeping track from my Sony TV but god forbid they actually interface with a Windows computer.  At one point they told me they would have to kill my account but they couldn't even do that.  I ended up tying my account to my business IPhone that sits in a drawer all day just so that they could get me working.  Idiots!

On the otherhand, I just built a new PC and installed Windows 11 and it has been flawless.  I did need to turn a bunch of crap off or have it not display but it is really clean and much more intuitive than the Mac OS now days.  And I can actually get it to work the way I want, not the way Apple wants.  Thank god for Microsoft actually so that I don't have to deal with Apple!

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm »
Apple TV+ doesn't support JRiver (or VLC, or Windows Media Player, or Plex etc etc etc > It does provide a free software solution that does support the service > You refuse to use that free software solution. Have I got it?

You can watch on a Sony, Vizio, LG, or Samsung smart Tv, Roku, Amazon Fire TV box, Google TV box, Playstation or XBox. None of those available? You can also watch on a Windows computer via a Firefox or Chrome browser window.

An option for the confirmation code might be to call on a different phone (landline, spouse etc) than the one you are trying to activate the trial on. My iphone can receive authentications by switching between apps to get the code, and switching back to enter it. The call doesn't need to disconnect.. If you have more than one device logged into the Apple ID, you can receive the code on one and enter it on the other.

One of these solutions has just gotta work. Hope you get it solved. I suggest ''For All Mankind' (space series based on the premise that the Russians beat the US to the moon), 'Greyhound' (Tom Hanks movie), 'Ted Lasso'  and 'Invasion' (alien invasion series). Lots of content on there.

AllynW

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2022, 07:05 pm »
I've been done with apple and windows in not an option.  Santa put a cheap Acer laptop under the tree and it will soon have Linux on it.  Once I've adapted most of my Mac's will be converted over too.  I liked Apple the Computer company, I detest Apple the Media Company. It's time to move on.

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2022, 07:13 pm »
Apple and Microsoft both are doing everything they can to run your life via their device, apps, software you name they got ya.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2022, 07:23 pm »
An article about unintended consequences resulting from a misguided attempt to make your life easier:

Are Apple AirTags Being Used to Track People and Steal Cars?
Privacy groups sounded alarms about the coin-sized location-tracking devices when they were introduced. Now people are concerned those fears are being realized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/technology/apple-airtags-tracking-stalking.html

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2022, 08:22 pm »
Apple and Microsoft both are doing everything they can to run your life via their device, apps, software you name they got ya.

Agree 100%.  I had to get a new phone (I like iPhones so I just stick to them) a few months back.  I have two emails, one mainly for buying junk and that one is Outlook.  The phone a good portion of the time would keep asking for my Outlook password and wouldn't work pulling up the email.  Didn't have a problem with the old iPhone 7+.  Apparently it is a known issue.  I downloaded the Outlook App (not that the junk on that email is all that important to me).  My iPhone came with 3 month of Apple TV but I didn't even bother.  Not really into it.  Over-the-air, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku, Internet TV, etc., leaves me more to watch than I have time for.

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2022, 10:27 pm »
Agree 100%.  I had to get a new phone (I like iPhones so I just stick to them) a few months back.  I have two emails, one mainly for buying junk and that one is Outlook.  The phone a good portion of the time would keep asking for my Outlook password and wouldn't work pulling up the email.  Didn't have a problem with the old iPhone 7+.  Apparently it is a known issue.  I downloaded the Outlook App (not that the junk on that email is all that important to me).  My iPhone came with 3 month of Apple TV but I didn't even bother.  Not really into it.  Over-the-air, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku, Internet TV, etc., leaves me more to watch than I have time for.

WE have just stuck with the iPhone as well. 

mcmusicman

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2022, 09:32 pm »
Sadly my mother wanted an apple watch for the cardio features and monitoring.  Bought one. 
Then found out she can not activate it without owning an Iphone...even if she does not want to use the wifi features of the watch.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm »
In my household, there are 3 iPhones, 2 iMacs and 1 AirPods Pro.Whenever I call for technical support, the very first thing they ask is the phone #, in case we get disconnected, which is really good idea.The staff is always knowledgeable and never failed me so far.What drives to become a "serial killer" is the useless automated message, before you get to talk to live person, but that is the standard with many companies nowadays.Also, there's one Apple store in my city, where staff is always helpfull and friendly too.I still remembered getting my first iMac, I just fell in love with it, because it was user friendly, and so was the iPhone.Unless I'm getting off topic here, The Apple is not that bad...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2022, 11:47 pm »
And I thought this meme was exaggerating!

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2022, 01:56 am »
All these grievances and issues apply to every streaming service and consumer software/tech company. They all want us locked into their ecosystem and unless you are using one of their gateway devices it's caveat emptor.

And we have no privacy. If you're looking at this post right now any and everything about you has already been collated and offered to any third party willing to pay for the information.

In the last 30 days I've had difficulty restarting my Disney/Hulu subscription (along w/ many other people) and just found out Xfinity/Comcast has done their usual price hike on service that I literally just subscribed at a discount.

It never ends.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2022, 02:42 am »
It's a sign. You don't need it. Why would you pay someone money to frustrate you?  :dunno:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2022, 06:55 pm »
Other pita are Sansung Galaxy Android, if the phone are off the alarm clock will not ring.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2022, 07:41 pm »
All these grievances and issues apply to every streaming service and consumer software/tech company. They all want us locked into their ecosystem and unless you are using one of their gateway devices it's caveat emptor.

And we have no privacy. If you're looking at this post right now any and everything about you has already been collated and offered to any third party willing to pay for the information.

In the last 30 days I've had difficulty restarting my Disney/Hulu subscription (along w/ many other people) and just found out Xfinity/Comcast has done their usual price hike on service that I literally just subscribed at a discount.

It never ends.

Well stated. No Apple products for me.
charles

Jan_Mc

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2022, 08:10 pm »
Other pita are Sansung Galaxy Android, if the phone are off the alarm clock will not ring.

You're kidding right?  Did you just forget the sarcasm button?  If you unplug your TV does it still work?  Would you expect it to?

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2022, 08:31 pm »
You're kidding right?  Did you just forget the sarcasm button?  If you unplug your TV does it still work?  Would you expect it to?

I don't think he meant literally off. Probably muted, or one of the sleep modes.

And yes, there are known issues with Android alarms not going off. Sometimes it's a funky setting that needs to be changed or software conflict or bug. For instance my partner's Samsung alarm won't go off if she has another app up.