Any CCC users here? (Question about reverting 10.8 to 10.7)

dB Cooper

Upgraded my Macbook with a 2.26 Core 2 Duo and 8GB RAM last night to 10.8 Mountain Lion.

What a mistake. S-L-O-W-W-W-W...... Took about 10 seconds to open my Applications folder in a column view Finder window. Screw this.

Fortunately I backed up my 10.7 install to an external using CCC. I think I just need to tell CCC to install OSX in "Macintosh HD' and then confirm the overwrite. I know Apple makes it just about impossible to revert but I think this will work. Any CCC users here?

Thanks for the bloatware, Apple.

jaywills

Re: Any CCC users here? (Question about reverting 10.8 to 10.7)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2013, 07:17 pm »
I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my smallish SSD to the internal hard drive about once a month (in Lion).  I have difficulty unless 1) I boot into an old Snow Leopard disk and run CCC to back up the SSD (Lion) to the internal hard drive (also Lion) or 2) wipe the disk to which I'm backing up, at which CCC works just fine to make the copy.  As I'm sure you already know, you need to boot from a disk other than the one you're going to try to fix (i.e. the backup disk).  Never "upgraded" to Mountain Lion.  Good luck.

BTW, using a 3.02 27" iMac (Oct. 2011, IIRC) running either the latest iteration of Lion or Snow Leopard (the latter if I have to use Carbon apps), w/ 16 gb memory.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2013, 07:39 pm »
I've updated my early 2011 MBP with 8 GB of RAM from 10.6 to 10.7 to 10.8 without the issues you describe.  Opening my applications folder just now is virtually instantaneous.  You might want to look for other issues.

As a first thought, I'd check hard disk use... I have had dramatic slow downs when I start to get within maybe 30 GB of filling the drive, and it's possible that a new OS install would take enough extra space to tip you over that (rather fuzzy) line.  I don't remember the relative disk footprint of 10.7 vs 10.8 offhand.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2013, 08:03 pm »
10.8 is anything but bloatware, IMO. Must be something else going on. That said, I've successfully used CCC for swapping OSs with no issues.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2013, 08:50 pm »
Seems to be doing better after a couple of restarts. I may have spoken too soon. It was slow as hell at that first startup though. About 70GB free on the startup disk BTW.

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:11 am »
10.8 is anything but bloatware, IMO. Must be something else going on. That said, I've successfully used CCC for swapping OSs with no issues.

I would agree here.    If you consider it slow definitely something else wrong.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:08 am »
As I noted in the previous post, seems to have settled in after a couple restarts.