Anybody use the iTunes radio?

Ern Dog

Anybody use the iTunes radio?
« on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:37 am »
I can't figure out how to play the itunes radio out through a usb cable to my DAC.  I made sure that the laptop Midi had my DAC selected as the audio output, but still didn't work.  Any ideas?

I'm using a Macbook Pro, itunes/Audirvana, usb cable to Nuforce DAC-9.

srb

Re: Anybody use the iTunes radio?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:01 am »
Can you play Internet Radio from iTunes directly without Audirvana running?

Audirvana has its own output device/DAC selection under Audirvana Preferences > Audio Device > Preferred Audio Device, which will override the default device in Mac Audio Midi Setup.

Steve

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:38 am »
Using Amarra, I need to put the program in bypass mode to listen to iTunes radio. I'm not sure why, but it works fine when audio is not going through Amarra.

Ern Dog

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:11 am »
Yes, I can play the itunes radio fine without using Audirvana, however it only plays through my internal laptop speakers instead of out through the USB cable.

I also have the Audirvana output device set to my DAC-9.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2012, 11:37 am »
Does any audio such as browser based sounds play through the DAC? I am not sure they will help but if you can't get it straightened out easily and live near an Apple store I'd make an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Ern Dog

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2012, 02:15 pm »
Yes, the browser based sounds play through the DAC.  This is the weirdest thing.  Are other people able to play itunes radio through your external DAC?

jMelvin

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:44 am »
You cannot use the iTunes radio feature through Audirvana as it only uses the iTunes library function. Audirvana is also a bit quirky in the sense it doesn't always release the audio device even after closing the program and selecting your dac through audio midi. I've found it necessary at times to restart my Mac to rectify this issue, then select the dac again. BTW I do use the radio in iTunes with my USB dac and it works great.

chrisby

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2012, 08:13 pm »
Yes, the browser based sounds play through the DAC.  This is the weirdest thing. Are other people able to play itunes radio through your external DAC?

maybe late to answer the question, but I have no problem with streaming a local NPR jazz/blues station or selecting from a range of wife's ambiance channels on my headless mini to external DAC (toslink only for now)

of course 'cause this is not a high resolution system, I'm only using the iTunes player  - remembering it's on screen share is hard enough for some folks, much less switching to alternate players