Anybody own modern Subaru's?

Bemopti123

Re: Anybody own modern Subaru's?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2023, 02:18 am »
When the car hits 100K.... make sure you change the motor belt and at the same time, usually the radiator fan will be swapped but I decided to get the motor gaskets changed because you only pay for parts, since they are deep on the engine bay.  It will save you another $1000 in labor when the motor decides to leak oil. 

Belt change around 1k at around 106K miles.... I paid around $1.15 K for the belt, the pump and the gaskets.   

shadowlight

« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2023, 03:01 pm »
I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek I purchased with about 40k miles on it.It has every option.I got 3K below sticker cause it was in monster hail storm we had here in South Denver and has hail dings.ONLY problem I had with it was earlier this year if you put in park the car did NOT think it was in park.Strangely you could remove the key but the stereo and motor would still be running.I was told it’s a shifter plate problem-bad design.Some owners experience this with much newer models as well.Subaru offered to negotiate down a quoted repair expense of about $700 but I’d have to spend $100 to have them look at it first.So I waited.But here’s the amazing part -all of a sudden the problem STOPPED on its own! (Maybe had something to due with cold temps).The problem Last occured in March-which can be cold here in Denver.

We currently have 3 Subaru (2 x 2014 Forester) and the 2016 Legacy. We have not had any major issues with any of them other than 2 items:

We had similar issue that started occurring 2 weeks ago on Legacy, where you could shut the car off but getting the key out was difficult. The dealer fixed it at no cost too us. The other one was around the radio in base 2014 Forester would not sync up with Bluetooth, which required a replacement but we still had warranty on that.

We used to own 1998 Legacy that was still functioning with ~230k miles when we donated the car back in 2016. No issues on that car either but the ceiling was starting to shag on it. Forgot to mention that the Forester is driven by the kids and they say that when they need to buy a new car they will go down the Subaru route also. Both Forester has ~100 to ~110K and it will last them for another 10yrs or so. When it's time to replace the Toyota Sienna with ~230k miles it will be replaced with another Subaru.

djpk

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2023, 04:05 pm »
The only issues that are a little SUS is the CVT.  Got to keep an eye on that and how about the oil burning issue in some motor models. 

Me proud owner of a Outback 2011, since september of that year.  Needed routine maintenance of consumable things.... keep an eye on batteries as Subs are known battery chewers.  1 every 3-4 years.  In comparison, my 2001 Honda Accord lasted 7 years on its original battery. 

Paul :thumb:
Interesting that you mentioned battery life. My original battery only lasted about 20 months. I have a Die Hard battery in it now and hoping to get some additional battery life.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2023, 05:51 pm »
It sounds like these cars last, but require to stay on top of some specific maintenance.

Who has upgraded bits to make it better?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2023, 06:25 pm »
Financing is worth over $1k, use it to negotiate a better deal, take the dealer's financing and pay it off after 3 months

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2023, 07:12 pm »
It sounds like these cars last, but require to stay on top of some specific maintenance.

Yes, maintenance is definitely something on these cars. Under normal driving they are great, very dependable and fairly comfy. One of the major things to watch out for is timing chain/belt being a known problem. Nothing too crazy as it's not something to go out every year, but when it does it could also take a lot of the top end with it if/when it goes ignored. Outside of that, they're super good cars.

If you're looking for something with some space and some fun driving and are ok at looking used, check out the wrx wagons (like 05-06 model) or the 2nd gen Forester which had an STI model. Those were super fun and sporty with the 2.5L turbo and 6speed manual transmission but still had some real practicality as well. Later model foresters became a bit too much a soccer mom car and took some of the fun driving aspect away.

If looking at newer models only, the Impreza sport would be the only hatchback to give you some "spirited" driving and even that is a bit of a miss on the new models. They'll all be capable to some degree, but the new crop really are suited as a dependable go anywhere car, not a drift er wide rally car. Most of that comes from the softer suspension and the CVT instead of the good ol 6speed manual. It is the tradeoff made for the better fuel economy and better ride characteristics on the new cars. Just food for thought.  :thumb:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2023, 08:11 pm »
I owned 2 WRXs and 1 Legacy, all new, in the early 2000s.  Cars were all extremely dependable and great for living in Michigan and driving into Canada on business.  Only issue was one of the side mirrors self-destructed and was covered by warranty.  I upgraded the last WRX with all sorts of tuner gear - it was very fast and great fun.  Moved to Louisiana and decided I didn't need 4 wheel drive and traded last one in on a used Porsche Boxster.  New WRX is out of my retired price range.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2023, 06:08 am »
I owned 2 WRXs and 1 Legacy, all new, in the early 2000s.  Cars were all extremely dependable and great for living in Michigan and driving into Canada on business.  Only issue was one of the side mirrors self-destructed and was covered by warranty.  I upgraded the last WRX with all sorts of tuner gear - it was very fast and great fun.  Moved to Louisiana and decided I didn't need 4 wheel drive and traded last one in on a used Porsche Boxster.  New WRX is out of my retired price range.

What are simple items to upgrade during the life of the car?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2023, 06:27 am »
Yes, maintenance is definitely something on these cars. Under normal driving they are great, very dependable and fairly comfy. One of the major things to watch out for is timing chain/belt being a known problem. Nothing too crazy as it's not something to go out every year, but when it does it could also take a lot of the top end with it if/when it goes ignored. Outside of that, they're super good cars.

If you're looking for something with some space and some fun driving and are ok at looking used, check out the wrx wagons (like 05-06 model) or the 2nd gen Forester which had an STI model. Those were super fun and sporty with the 2.5L turbo and 6speed manual transmission but still had some real practicality as well. Later model foresters became a bit too much a soccer mom car and took some of the fun driving aspect away.

If looking at newer models only, the Impreza sport would be the only hatchback to give you some "spirited" driving and even that is a bit of a miss on the new models. They'll all be capable to some degree, but the new crop really are suited as a dependable go anywhere car, not a drift er wide rally car. Most of that comes from the softer suspension and the CVT instead of the good ol 6speed manual. It is the tradeoff made for the better fuel economy and better ride characteristics on the new cars. Just food for thought.  :thumb:

The Impreza Sport was the one I'm looking at.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2023, 06:28 am »
What are the ups and downs of the 2.0 and the 2.5 engine?

nature boy

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2023, 01:06 pm »
Own a 2013 Outback & 2019 Forester. Subaru are very reliable, roomy and safe cars. They are also generally easy to service. While the boxer engines are reliable, they accelerate slowly, especially with the CVT transmissions. They are also not the most comfortable vehicles and have a pretty stiff ride. The Outback and Forester do have a lot of cargo space.

If you are looking for a sporty, great handling vehicle you should consider other options. One thought that comes to mind is the Mazda 3 turbo. Decent mileage and a zippier driving experience.

NB

nlitworld

« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2023, 01:14 pm »
What are the ups and downs of the 2.0 and the 2.5 engine?

Typical tradeoff of speed and engine response vs fuel economy. 2012 WRX STI hatchback model had 300hp and 19mpg combined :o, but new Impreza Sport has 150hp and about 30 mpg combined.

I'd say if you wanted to keep the slightly sporty part, go the Impreza RS which has the 2.5L and 182hp but still about 29mpg combined. Should have a little more pep in its step even if it still uses the CVT instead of the good ol 6speed. It's a bummer they still don't make the WRX hatchback.

nlitworld

« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2023, 01:19 pm »
One thought that comes to mind is the Mazda 3 turbo. Decent mileage and a zippier driving experience.

Second the Mazda route. I have an 08 Mazda 3 sedan (non-turbo) and even that in its prime was zippy and fun. Now it's a bit slower (305,500 miles) but it never lost the zippy ride characteristics and still maintains 30mpg.

mav52

« Reply #33 on: 26 Sep 2023, 01:39 pm »
Drove a Mazda CX-90 yesterday. Nice car

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2023, 02:27 pm »
Hopefully, Subaru's version of CVT is better than Honda's.  The worst part of my Civic is the CVT.  It particularly sucks during the winter (main time I use it), as it doesn't really slow the car down. 

WGH

« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2023, 03:58 pm »
Hopefully, Subaru's version of CVT is better than Honda's... as it doesn't really slow the car down.

The 2023 Outback Onyx has paddle shifters, I use them all the time to slow down without braking when coming down Mt. Lemmon from hiking.

The 2024 Subaru Impreza RS five-door hatchback come with a 2.5-liter boxer four-cylinder engine producing 182 hp and 178 lb-ft of torque, a 8-speed manual mode function and steering wheel paddle shifters. The Impreza RS trim includes a 10-way power driver's seat, heated front seats, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. I really like the 10-way power driver seat, after I adjusted the seat to fit my body the recent 2500 mile trip was extremely comfortable. The leather wrapped steering wheel is a pleasure to hold on long trips.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/new-car-previews/2024-subaru-impreza-preview

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:10 pm »
So, I ended up with a 2024 Crosstrek. They had it freshly delivered, but not out on the lot yet.

bacobits1

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2024, 12:11 am »
As I mentioned earlier I have a '24 Crosstrek Ltd. Very nice design and execution. Rides nice 18" tires and handles good. AWD peppy enough for us. Nice interior.

Enjoy!

jschwenker

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2024, 12:33 am »
Interesting that you mentioned battery life. My original battery only lasted about 20 months. I have a Die Hard battery in it now and hoping to get some additional battery life.

Subaru battery program:
I have several friends who have experienced some Subaru battery issues.  Hearing about their resolved cases, I learned of this recall and replacement/upgrade program.  Many Subie models and years have been identified as having been originally outfitted with batteries that were maybe undersized for the job they needed to do - is the short story. (A slightly more detailed account - Subaru may not have done a very good job matching the actual 'parasitic load' of the car's electrical system when parked and off with the battery and rest of the system. My understanding is that some of the fixes offered involve SW updates that reduce the load when off. There for some years, dealers would tell customers that "yeah these modern cars just have such sophisticated electronics that Subaru tells us to go around and start all cars on the lot every few days." Whadda load o hooey!)

For whatever reasons, Subaru may not be (yet anyway) consistently reaching out to inform car owners.  This website is maybe one of the best ways to begin finding out where your vehicle might stand with regard to the particulars of your eligibility.  There is a range of possible actions - from replacement through previous repair reimbursements - providing pathways to an updated condition for each car.

Outside of that - do love da cars...

https://www.subarubatterysettlement.com/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Anybody own modern Subarus?
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2024, 02:23 am »
Has anyone seen the Legacy wagon? While I've never seen them in the US nor Canada, they are quite popular in Taiwan. I really like how they look. I'll snap a photo of one (when the opportunity arises) to post here.

Michael