D-100/D-200 with Eastern Electric MiniMax PreAmp? Opinions?

mike_c

Just curious if anyone has heard the above combination. I have heard plenty of people rave about the new CIAudio digital amps and MiniMax preamp seperately, but as yet haven't heard of anyone using them together. Ofcourse, I've heard all the great things said about the D-100/D-200 paired with the Modwright preamp, and while I'd love to have that combination, I just can't swing $2200 for a preamp right now. I'm hoping to find a used MiniMax at a decent price...to be eventually swapped out with the Modwright, once I save all my pennies.   :wink:

Judging from what I've read, I believe the MiniMax would lean a bit more toward the warm side compared to the Modwright, which is fine, but...I also believe it may be a bit more noisy. Any opinions?

Thanks!

mike_c

« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2005, 05:24 am »
No opinions on this combo?

Anyone?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2005, 05:57 am »
I don't know of any customers using the D series amps with the MiniMax, but several are using them with other tube preamps in addition to the ModWright (I'm currently using a VTL).

An inexpensive option would be to get D amps with 32dB gain and one of our VPC-2 passives. This is a great sounding combo as it is...and you can always add a tube preamp later if you wish (we'll then lower the gain to 26dB at no charge).

-Dusty-

maxwalrath

Re: D-100/D-200 with Eastern Electric MiniMax PreAmp? Opinio
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2005, 05:58 am »
Quote from: mike_c
......Judging from what I've read, I believe the MiniMax would lean a bit more toward the warm side compared to the Modwright, which is fine, but...I also believe it may be a bit more noisy. Any opinions?

I've only had the modwright beta version (a pre-production prototype) to compare to the Minimax, but I'd agree with that statement. The production unit should sound a good deal better than the modwright I had. Check out a comparison of the two preamps in this review of the Clari-T....

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine2/followup.html

That said, I easily preferred the modwright beta to a Minimax using an Odyssey Stratos. It's all very system dependant.

I switched to a Clari-T some time ago and got a deal on an upgraded Minimax (my second Minimax), which I compared to my second Modwright beta...driving single driver speakers with a digital source. In that case I preferred the Minimax (although it should be noted this was an upgraded production unit costing almost double the price of the beta unit).

My whole system at that point was "dry"...cdp, digital amp, single driver speakers.

I've since got a great deal on a used Modwright Signature Truth Sony dvp-9000es. I sold off the beta a few months back, but with the added tube warmth from the cdp I think the modwright beta may once again be a better match. I don't think Dan will let me get a 3rd preamp for $600, so I may not know anytime soon. (If only I had known in advance the KILLER deal I would get on my new player on A-gon....good enough to upgrade at a time I was thinking of downsizing my system)

Also I'm not sure where (I think some RMAF coverage) but the Modwright/CIAudio gear got some huge praises. I haven't heard the CI gear myself but the reviews sound promising.