nnck's Daedalus-Modwright 2-channel system

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
nnck's Daedalus-Modwright 2-channel system
« on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:02 am »
Just wanted to start a thread for my 2-channel system centered around Lou's great DA 1.1 loudspeakers. Hope this is the right place for my personal thread.

After a couple months of waiting, Christmas came a few days late to my place.

I have a number of pictures of the packaging and unboxing if anyone is interested. Suffice to say everything was packed very very well, and there doesnt appear to be anything damaged in the week-long transit.

The system as it stands today. Still breaking-in and awaiting the maple stands for these speakers. Will post more on listening impressions and pics with stands when they arrive.

Right DA 1.1

Left DA 1.1

The rest of my sources and electronics (Modwright, VPI, Arcam, Squeezebox, Eastern Electric)

More of the room
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2012, 12:30 am by nnck »

nnck

Re: nnck's Daedalus based 2-channel system
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:09 am »
Sorry for the goofed-up orientation of these pics folks. Maybe someone can help me figure out why that is happening. The pics all open up in the right orientation on my Macbook. But then they get inserted into the thread a different way  :dunno:

Edit: 
Thanks for the suggestions. Got them sorted here. Still messed up in my galleries i think, but will fix that some other time.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:44 am »
Congratulations!! :D  They are beautiful !
How do they sound?
Todd

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm »
Stunning!

Add some room treatments and you'll really be in heaven.   :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:40 pm »
Nice system you have there and it looks like you have an impressive music collection as well. Time to pick a few favorite and sit down for some long nights of listening :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:54 pm »
Beautiful!!! And another Deadhead with Daedalus  :thumb:

did you AP those beauties?

~J

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2012, 04:19 pm »
Where are you?

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:58 pm »
Really beautiful looking speakers you have there.  Listening space looks great as well.  Very nice looking component list......  Just curious, are you set up against the long wall?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »
hey,  thanks for posting all the photos. fwiw, in a couple of months the speakers will ship with custom cloth covers to protect against scratching etc.

I keep refining the shipping materials and that is the next step. 
I shipped out three pair around the holidays with no damage!!! if you knew fed ex ( or UPS) like I do , you know that's impressive , or really lucky :lol:
thanks,
lou

nnck

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:09 am »
Thanks for the interest. Had to go back to work today after a long break, and I was pretty busy catching up so no time to respond. But I'll try to work through some questions now.

Congratulations!! :D  They are beautiful !
How do they sound?

I should wait until I have them on their stands and fully broken in before I go on about them. But I have to say they already sound pretty awesome. Not at all harsh or bright. It has a 'fuller' sound than what I had gotten used to, and a very little bit of added warmth. For my room and my listening habits, this is really what i am looking for. I'll try to update more as it goes along here.

Stunning!

Add some room treatments and you'll really be in heaven.   :thumb:

You read my mind. I really want to do some very simple room treatment. I wanted to start by simply putting something on the wall behind and directly between the 2 speakers. But I dont know what to do exactly. I was thinking about making something (some black panels of some sort?) but I dont know what to use or how to make it. Anyone have some instructions for making something simple for wall treatments. On the other hand, if a panel or 2 could be purchased for say a couple hundred bucks, maybe I would just buy something. I'm open to suggestion here.

Nice system you have there and it looks like you have an impressive music collection as well.

Collecting music has been my only consistent hobby since I was about 10 years old. So I have acquired a bit of a library. It's pretty diverse too. Although I have a small percentage of classic rock, I have shied away from most pop music. It now consists highly of psychedelic rock, folk, electronic, progressive, avante garde, experimental and general outsider music of all sorts.

Beautiful!!! And another Deadhead with Daedalus  :thumb:

did you AP those beauties?

The Dead is a guilty pleasure of mine. Actually, not so guilty I guess. I've become a proud Deadhead for several years now. Say it loud, say it proud "Good Ol Grateful Dead!". And I love to use some of those classic Dead recordings for equipment break-in and testing. Because it sounds great, and also cause I'm pretty familiar with it.

Yup - I 'AP'-ed the speakers as well.

Where are you?

Dont know what you mean? I'm right here...on the internets.

Just curious, are you set up against the long wall?

Yup. They are along the long wall. I get this question a lot. See that door in the last picture between a couple of my CD stands? It kind of wrecks the placement of the speakers along that wall for me. Especially if I ever decided to put a television or screen of some sort between the speakers (which I am undecided on, actually). It's just sort of feng shui as well - the room just doesnt work for me in the other direction. So I realize my speaker placement isnt ideal. The room is a little odd, and it opens up to a another room on one side (you can see in a couple of the pics where the carpet turns to tile).

Right now the speakers are about 8 feet apart and about 1.5 ft from the wall behind them. I am still able to sit about 10 feet away from the speakers in the critical listening position. But I do a lot of off-axis listening as well.

hey,  thanks for posting all the photos. fwiw, in a couple of months the speakers will ship with custom cloth covers to protect against scratching etc.

I keep refining the shipping materials and that is the next step.
I shipped out three pair around the holidays with no damage!!! if you knew fed ex ( or UPS) like I do , you know that's impressive , or really lucky :lol:
thanks,
lou

Lou- You did a great job with this shipment. These boxes arrived with nothing more than a couple minor crinckles on the outer cartons. Inside, everything was nice and tightly packed, so there was no noticeable movement. Paper wrapped around the speakers was all intact (no rips). And another cardboard wrap over that (again all intact). Grills neatly wrapped and taped to the inside. Sturdy foam, and plywood top and bottom.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:23 am »
City and state in case you are close enough so we can come hear these?!

LadyDog

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:29 am »
Beautiful speakers.  Lou's stuff is on my bucket list of those to own someday.

Agree, quite the music collecttion.

Kinger

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:55 am »
If you are looking for a couple sound panels at less than a couple hundred bucks, definitely check out GIK Acoustics.  They have a manufacturers thread here on the AC and you can get a pack of 3 242 panels for a reasonable sum.  (If you are not handy in making them yourself.......which I am not.)

No issues here with long wall setup.  I'm forced to do the same in my space and while I think my system would sound better on the short wall, I work with what I have :)

nnck

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:59 am »
City and state in case you are close enough so we can come hear these?!

I'm in the Midwest. You can think of me as in your greater-chicago area.

Agree, quite the music collecttion.

I must admit, I'm a music collector first, audiophile second. Many of the recordings I have would never be considered close to audiophile standards. A few might might even be considered  :o low-fi  :o But regardless, everything sounds better, and I find that I enjoy them all more as I try to get the best tone and sound from my rig.

Last time I counted (which was a few years ago) I had probably about 6 or 7 thousand discs and/or digital recordings and over 1000 LPs. With this crowd, I'm sure this cant be all that unheard of.

If you are looking for a couple sound panels at less than a couple hundred bucks, definitely check out GIK Acoustics.  They have a manufacturers thread here on the AC and you can get a pack of 3 242 panels for a reasonable sum.  (If you are not handy in making them yourself.......which I am not.)

I'll have to give these a look soon. They dont have to be super-fancy or anything - but do they look nice?

Kinger

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:03 am »
That's a HUGE CD and record collection in my book.  Always amazes me how much media some folks have.......  Now that I'm pretty set with my system I'm definitely looking forward to expanding my collection.

I think the GIK panels are pretty attractive and they can even be purchased with pictures on them. (Although at a greatly increased cost.)

nnck

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:25 am »
I think the GIK panels are pretty attractive and they can even be purchased with pictures on them. (Although at a greatly increased cost.)

Even more intrigued now. I'll be looking into these soon. Any other options I should consider besides these?

Speaking of room treatments, I should mention that all the walls in this room have 'sound-board' installed behind the dry-wall. I'm not sure what this 'sound-board' actually is. It's just something I came across when we were building the house and I had the dry-waller install it in this room, as I knew it was going to be my listening room. I dont know if it is making much difference or how functional it is since it's behind the dry-wall.

Kinger-the diagrams of your listening room in your gallery prompted me to post this one of mine that I drew a while back.

« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2012, 04:46 pm by nnck »

dodgealum

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:47 am »
Very exciting times! I recall speaking with you on several occasions as you were working through your speaker decision and it is now great to see that you have got the DA-1.1's sitting squarely in your listening room. I can well imagine how great they are going to sound since your system and mine are nearly identical--we even have the same rack! Anyway, be patient with the break in period--they will sound better than most speakers right out of the box but you will hear noticeable improvements after 50-100 hours and then smaller gains as you double that figure. Your pair look beautiful--I'm always interested to see other peoples Daedalus' since no two pair look alike given the different hardwood options and the grain pattern varieties. This is one thing that makes Lou's speakers so special. They have a hand made, one of a kind quality that make them an enduring part of your life and home. Congrats and enjoy!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2012, 04:33 am »
Nnuk, excellent speakers, IME.  Had the pleasure of divining some music via an earlier edition driven by some way good gear.  Question . . Have you considered firing your speakers into your room's length out from the wall with the door about 4' from the rear of their cabinets?  If you listen to mostly popular music, I suppose I could understand that your room effects to include where your ears are in relation to the wall behind you may be desirable.  But, dude, if you listen to music recorded in real time and in a real acoustic space?  Well, you oughta try it.  Happy to advise.

nnck

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:31 pm »
Congrats and enjoy!

dodgealum- I should thank you and a few others from AC and some other forums who spent the time to answer a number of my questions via email, and even talk to me on the phone at length while on my speaker search. It definitely helps to have other people to turn to for help when making a decision like this.

nnck

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2012, 07:36 pm »
Update-
Got the maple bases and outriggers yesterday, so I just wanted to update with a few more pics now.