Test CD

Douglas Schmidt

Test CD
« on: 12 Jun 2018, 04:34 pm »
Hi,
I think this the right circle to post this in.  I need to test my CD player, an old AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player.  I don't think it sounds quite right. Can someone recommend a Test CD?  It may be just my age and hearing, though.
Thanks,
Doug Schmidt

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Test CD
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2018, 04:40 pm »
What are the symptoms?
It dont init or recognize discs?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2018, 01:34 pm »
Stereophile's test CDs, they have three, they do repeat some tests, mostly frequency sweeps, but for the most part they are individual test products.  Let me know what you're looking for and I'll see which one looks best for you.

Douglas Schmidt

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2018, 03:24 pm »

Letitroll98,
I'm detecting a lack of depth in the sound.  Maybe a little fuzzier. Clarity is OK on vinyl but seems to be absent with the CD.  It was OK before, but recently not so much.  Bass seems OK.

Douglas Schmidt

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2018, 03:25 pm »
Thank you.  Forgot my manners.
Doug

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:44 pm »
Doug, have you tried different tubes? Also, and I’m being very serious, try a HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuse. I reluctantly put one in my DAC - not believing this sort of thing can make a difference only to be extremely surprised at how much better it made my DAC sound.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2018, 05:55 pm »
Letitroll98,
I'm detecting a lack of depth in the sound.  Maybe a little fuzzier. Clarity is OK on vinyl but seems to be absent with the CD.  It was OK before, but recently not so much.  Bass seems OK.
So what have you changed that worsened the system performance?

Hipper

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2018, 09:21 pm »
You can test your hearing on line with headphones:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

Not only will you have lost some of your upper frequencies but you may have different responses for each ear, that's why headphones would be best to check.

The Stereophile (and Chesky) test discs should have some tests that indicate balance, left/right set up and perhaps depth and width tests, as well as some quality recordings (but I haven't found the latter that useful). They may also have some test tones that can indicate how your room and speakers combine at your listening position. You may also be able to find test tones CDs. Here's a free one with lower frequency tones that is useful to find bass response:

https://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

The only real way to see if your CD player is not working properly is to try another one in your system and compare.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2018, 03:00 pm »
I would try the Stereophile Test CD #2 which has the most test tones of the three, with #3 being a close second.  Don't have any experience with other test cd's or online resources.  I would look at a phase tests first, out of phase speakers sounds most like what you're describing.  Next a simple frequency sweep, one speaker at a time to check the drivers.  I know you're looking at the cdp, but don't discount the speakers as a problem, and they have a bunch of CD tests as well.  Disc #2 has a music articulation test that is the most revealing cut for total system clarity that I've yet run across, but you really need a baseline to make it effective.

Scott L

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:46 am »
Doug, have you tried different tubes? Also, and I’m being very serious, try a HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuse. I reluctantly put one in my DAC - not believing this sort of thing can make a difference only to be extremely surprised at how much better it made my DAC sound.

I have one of those CD players as well. It is still a superb sounding unit, but it is very easy to forget just how much time has gone by on the tubes that are installed. Get yourself a pair, or two, or three, of any of the upscale 6DJ8 type of tubes, and install.