0B7 UK BUILD

brian t

0B7 UK BUILD
« on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:23 pm »
First off thanks to danny for supplying the kit

Here is the xover with bass management ,mounted it on some  perspex.

brian t

Re: 0B7 UK BUILD
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
treble section

these xovers are being mounted in a separate enclosure

brian t

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:59 pm »

cabinets after priming applied wood hardener to inside and outside of cabinet before painting.extra layers of mdf  on outside serve two purposes increase rigidity but more important cover up all the joints! very important when going for a piano finish.

brian t

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:16 pm »
Applied lead sheeting to stratigic points in cabinet and lined with no rez, next up the finishing.

black base coat then 12-15 coats of two pack laquer 10 min between coats all done outside on patio as i live in a flat and dont have a garage, so picked a nice carm day and went for it. dont worry about the orange peel just need to get a nice thick layer of laquer on to work with. there are various ways of doing this and i dont profess to be an expert its just how i do it and dealing with the handicap of working outside

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:27 pm »
Those look really nice Brian, but that circuit board that you connected everything to will likely degrade the performance quite a bit. I really wouldn't want that stuff in the signal path.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:40 pm »
By contrast here is an assembled OB-7 tweeter network (a pair of them).

brian t

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm »
cheers danny yep i did think about that and hard wire the components directly together,there are wire links i have put in underneath the connection board to connect the parts together not pcb tracks but its no problem to alter as i have them in a separate box.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm »
Keep us updated with pics when completed  :drool: 

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:52 pm »
Think of each connection as adding some insertion loss to the signal.

Point to point wire as much as you can using no wire. Then use high purity wire where you have to.

Cut the inductor leads down as short as possible also. No sense in leaving them exposed for the long term. They too will eventually show some oxidation signs.

You have really high quality parts there. No sense in connecting them with pieces of Tin, Steel, or whatever.

Those speakers are top notch and the work you are doing on them looks first rate. Don't let anything hold them back if you can help it.

No sense in buying a new Corvette and putting skinny tires on it huh.

brian t

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:55 pm »
weeks later and one aching arm things are taking shape
made an

alliminium stansion to take the cables up to open baffle section.

brian t

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:58 pm »

starting to get a nice reflection now after the burnishing cream

brian t

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm »

all wired up and using neutrik connectors for xover enclosure.

brian t

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:08 pm »
couple more photos -

brian t

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:09 pm »

brian t

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:14 pm »

did make a plinth out of wood but it didnt sound as good as these sound city outriggers bass starts and stop better with these and they are nice and easy to level.

brian t

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:17 pm »

will have a look at the xover danny per your advice. cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:24 pm »
Awe man, those look GOOD!  :thumb:  Nice job on the cabinets and little details.

brian t

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:48 pm »
thanks danny not had them running long but love the tweeter no compression and clean as a wistle on high hat allways a good test of a treble unit i find, just listen to the soundtrack of shaft this sorts the men out from the boys ,mid range has a see through quality normally associated with panels, nice fast bass doesnt go down that low but the balance struck is optimal i think much better to go for quality than extension ,power handling is good also as i do tend to play them at a highish level i use four monoblocs so that helps.

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm »
Beautiful job on the finish Brian!  How about a pic from the front.

Best,
Ed

brian t

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:00 pm »
just for you ed