Poll

These are the John Coltrane disks I have in order of my preference, what's yours.

Blue Train
3 (12%)
Giant Steps
6 (24%)
A Love Supreme
7 (28%)
Impressions
0 (0%)
Other
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: 11 Nov 2010, 01:14 pm

Favorite Coltrane album of this group

mhawkins907

Re: Favorite Coltrane album of this group
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2010, 06:02 pm »
Trane....For Me....

A Love Supreme...(covers a lot of bases, musically, spiritually and emotionally)

My Favorite Things (reminds me of being a kid and seeing the original 'Mary Poppins' movie...also the title track's performance was almost overshadowed by McCoy Tyner's playing.............almost :)     as well as being my first "real" jazz album      )

Crescent...(EVERY musician who has ever played 'Lonnie's Lament' pays homage to JC and nails it..i.e...from Joe Lovano to Marcus Miller)

Kind of Blue...('Qualifies' as a TRANE "other"...if for nothing else than the competitive give and take between Trane and Cannonball!)

Giant Steps....Every tune's a complete lesson in Jazz writing and interpretation...covers the spectrum from bebop, ballads, blues and the avant garde)

mfsoa

« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
I think this is a repost from a while back, but what the heck, I think it's great. Since we're talking Trane...
And who is this Coltrane anyway. Oh, the guy to the left of me?  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU
-Mike

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2010, 08:18 pm »
I bet it wasn't in its own jazz circle last time, now was it? Wink2

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 4 Nov 2010, 05:15 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E

Not an album.  A moment in early Trane's time.  And just great jazz from the period.

Wally King

« Reply #24 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:03 pm »
Definitely "Giant Steps," with "Blue Train" a close second.

I've always thought that "A Love Supreme" was overrated because it's "spiritual," whatever that means.  As for Coltrane's Impulse period, I'd much rather listen to "Africa Brass" or "Impressions" than "ALS."

blutto

« Reply #25 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm »
...agree with the previous poster that another Coltane album that should be considered here is Africa-Brass Vol.1 ( and Vol 2 )...which among other delights features an amazing version of Green Sleeves w/ Eric Dolphy...heaven sent melodic modal-ism if there is such a category...and which, now that I think of it, is a great way to introduce folks to Coltrane...

Cheers

blutto

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:49 am »
I whipped out and listened to Giant Steps (Rhino's remaster) based on all the recommendations here and wholeheartedly :thumb:.

Wally, permit me to add "Spiritual" from Live at The Village Vanguard and the album simply titled Coltrane especially for "Out of This World" to the Impulse list.  No one should miss "Afro Blue" from Live at Birdland, either.  Cheers.

« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 02:52 am by jimdgoulding »

adamaley

« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2010, 10:21 pm »
Blue Train!! Most certainly. With Johnny Hartman and Giants Steps are tied at second for me.

Ike

« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm »
Possibly... A Love Supreme. Coltrane sure did produce some exceptional searching music. His work later work on Impulse! is (literally) not of this world!  Music on a whole other level.  8)

Tbadder1

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2011, 04:24 am »
I like live albums best--the proof is in the pudding. My favorite Trane is Live at the Half Note.  Powerful, complex, challenging.  It's going to take me years to come to grips with it.

etcarroll

« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2011, 01:38 pm »
Geez, forgot I started this thread, since I did I've acquired at least 6 more Trane issues. Just last night I listened to 'Lush Life', it might be my fav, (recency effect and all that).

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2011, 12:46 pm »
Did anyone mention Soultrane or Traning In? Think I'll change my mind. LOL there are so many great ones.

Did you know that Trane is a Saint? I mean for real. Seems appropriate on this Sunday morning.

The African Orthodox Church canonized Coltrane in 1982. However, the Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church, San Francisco, which is fondly known as "the Coltrane church", is the only African Orthodox Church whose services incorporate Coltrane's music and use his lyrics as prayers in their liturgy A documentary on Coltrane, featuring this San Francisco branch of the Church and presented by Alan Yentob, was produced for the BBC in 2004. Samuel G. Freedman writes in his New York Times article "Sunday Religion Inspired By Saturday Nights", December 1, 2007, "... the Coltrane church is not a gimmick or a forced alloy of nightclub music and ethereal faith. Its message of deliverance through divine sound is actually quite consistent with Coltrane’s own experience and message." In the same article, he comments on John Coltrane's place in the canon of American music. "In both implicit and explicit ways, Coltrane also functioned as a religious figure. Addicted to heroin in the 1950s, he quit cold turkey, and later explained that he had heard the voice of God during his anguishing withdrawal. In 1964, he recorded A Love Supreme, an album of original praise music in a free-jazz mode... In 1966, an interviewer in Japan asked Coltrane what he hoped to be in five years, and Coltrane replied, 'A saint.'"

John Coltrane is depicted as one of the ninety saints in the monumental Dancing Saints icon of St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San Francisco. The Dancing Saints icon is a 3,000-square-foot (280 m2) painting rendered in the Byzantine iconographic style that wraps around the entire church rotunda. The icon was executed by iconographer Mark Dukes, an ordained deacon at the Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church, who has painted other icons of Coltrane for the Coltrane Church. Saint Barnabas Episcopal Church in Newark, New Jersey includes Coltrane on their list of historical black saints and even makes a "case for sainthood" for him in an article of a similar name on their website.

That was from Wikipedia. St Barnabas in Newark no longer has a website.

I saw Trane in '66. It was less than a year before his death. Even though he was very sick and only played for a short time, it was enlightening. He made sense out of chaos. St John Coltrane could talk to you through his horn; not just with feeling, but I heard actual words. I could understand the pain he was in and the peace he sought. How do you define love and beauty and seek God, with a chant maybe?
neo

richidoo

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2011, 01:27 pm »
My favorite album is Coltrane's Sound. I love Satellite.

One of my favorite things is hearing "My Favorite Things" on the radio while driving on a sunny day.

etcarroll

« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2011, 12:14 pm »
Did anyone mention Soultrane or Traning In?

Had both lps in hand Monday night while at Jazz Record Mart in Chicago, but had to put them back as I'd already run out of room in my suitcase for trip home. For anyone passing through Chicago, this is well worth a stop in;

http://jazzrecordmart.com/

Mike Nomad

« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2011, 12:54 pm »
I'm with the 'Other' category: Ballads, and disc four of Live In Japan (My Favorite Things).

blutto

« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2011, 03:32 pm »
...Africa Brass...as much as anything for Dolphy's playing on Green Sleeves which is one of my all-time jazz selections...that being said the Coltane catalog is so deep in treasures and so varied a favourite is nigh on impossible to pick( its sort of like picking a favourite Grant Green record)...tomorrow you may wake up in a different state of mind and a new rank-ordering of favourites will appear...the only real solution is to go as far as your pocket-book allows...Ballads, My Favourite Things, Blue Trane, Live at The Village Vanguard, Monk and Coltrane,Dial Africa, Giant Steps etc etc

Cheers

blutto

....ooops...realized after reading some of the earlier posts in this thread that I kinda got lost there for a moment and had already posted my selections way earlier...sorry...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2011, 12:41 am »
Had both lps in hand Monday night while at Jazz Record Mart in Chicago, but had to put them back as I'd already run out of room in my suitcase for trip home. For anyone passing through Chicago, this is well worth a stop in;

http://jazzrecordmart.com/

Wow E.T. Hard to imagine how you couldn't have put back the wrong albums.  :wink:
neo

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2011, 01:03 am »
Kind of Blue was the album that in High School forced me to listen.  There was something about the start of that album that changed things for me.  I have since considered that my favorite album, but for personal reasons. 

Very similar experience with Keb Mo again in High School.  It was something that changed my understanding of music.  1997 was a great year, and those albums among a short list are the only reference parts of my rig.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2011, 03:01 am »
I whipped out and listened to Giant Steps (Rhino's remaster) based on all the recommendations here and wholeheartedly :thumb:.

Wally, permit me to add "Spiritual" from Live at The Village Vanguard and the album simply titled Coltrane especially for "Out of This World" to the Impulse list.  No one should miss "Afro Blue" from Live at Birdland, either.  Cheers.
Liner notes by Leroi Jones on the Birdland album and he says it good, too.  As me said elsewhere previously, I think Afro Blue is in the asdendant of jazz works known to me.  And that's a lot.

wgscott

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:04 am »
Lush Life.  But then I know next to nothing about jazz.