PM, Tranquility & High Rez issue

Audioclyde

PM, Tranquility & High Rez issue
« on: 2 Apr 2011, 10:41 am »
I've been running Pure Music on my Mac Mini (ss HD, 8g RAM, music files on external HD) feeding my Tranquility SE DAC. When I play a high rez track it plays fine, but when it gets to the end of the high res track it pauses, then starts repeating the last few bars of that track-- won't go on to the next track.

I've sent a descriptive email of my issue to both Rob at Channel D and Eric at dbAudio. I haven't heard back from Rob; as always Eric got back to me quickly. Per Eric, he hasn't experienced this issue and suggested I post to see if any others have encountered this problem.  Using the latest version of PM--at this point I'm considering doing a complete reinstall. First, though I decided to follow Eric's suggestion and see if any others are/have experienced this?

Thanks!

Randy

jdbrian

Re: PM, Tranquility & High Rez issue
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2011, 11:26 am »
Hi

Have you recently upgraded Itunes? I had some problems after an Itunes upgrade and it had something to do with Permissions?? I found info on the PM site and did what it said and it worked fine afterwards. Sorry I can't be more specific but if you look on the PM site it is on there somewhere.
  You use the Disk Utility to repair or verify permissions- again I am not sure which- for the main drive. I hope this helps. I have found that while PM sounds great it still sometimes does strange things. It still seems to be a work in progress.

Brian

Geardaddy

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2011, 11:52 am »
I have heard great things about the Tranquility dac and am not surprised given Eric's passion and intelligence.

I am under the impression that it does not do hi rez?  Is that incorrect?

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2011, 11:55 am »
Thanks; I'm trying some different settings and 'may' have cured my problem.  I reset the PM settings to 'default', then went in and only changed to "Hog" mode and this seems to have cured my issue!

The Tranquility does not play high rez tracks 'natively'--I don't pretend to understand, but in essence the high rez tracks are downsampled--bottom line is they play fine and sound great on the Tranquility!

Randy

Geardaddy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2011, 02:25 pm »
Hog mode is the way to go....that and memory play...

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:16 pm »
Geardaddy--couldn't agree more; definite SQ benefits to HOG mode and memory play.  I really like PM's new 'preallocate' option for memory play.