BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Alphonse

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:58 am »
Hi James, I am thinking about ordering a BDP-1 and BDA-1. Questions

1. Is the BDA-1 now available with matching cosmetics (buttons) to BDP-1?
2. Is there be a combo retail price for BDP-1 and BDA-1? If so what?
3. I would be stacking the 2 components. How much do you charge for the 4" AES-EBU 110 ohm digital jumper cable?

Thanks,  Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 11 Feb 2011, 11:32 am »
Hi James, I am thinking about ordering a BDP-1 and BDA-1. Questions

1. Is the BDA-1 now available with matching cosmetics (buttons) to BDP-1?
2. Is there be a combo retail price for BDP-1 and BDA-1? If so what?
3. I would be stacking the 2 components. How much do you charge for the 4" AES-EBU 110 ohm digital jumper cable?

Thanks,  Al

Hi Al,

1. Yes but special order
2. No we have not looked at that yet as we have been backordered since we introduced the BDP-1
3. The cable is around $100 list I believe .
http://bryston.com/aeseub.html

james

JimB-MN

« Reply #62 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:31 pm »
James
Could you post the date of the most recent BDP software.  I know it's somewhere in the other thread but it might be good to have it here. 
Thanks
Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:49 pm »
James
Could you post the date of the most recent BDP software.  I know it's somewhere in the other thread but it might be good to have it here. 
Thanks
Jim

Dec 28th 2010

james

terrycym

« Reply #64 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:47 pm »
And the follow up question for 15 points in total, 5 points each part:

1.  Where do we get the update software from?
2.  Any chance of a mailing list to inform users when updates are available?
3.  Should the UK distributor be responsible for this support over here seeing  how they are charging such a huge mark-up for "support"?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:54 pm »
And the follow up question for 15 points in total, 5 points each part:

1.  Where do we get the update software from?
2.  Any chance of a mailing list to inform users when updates are available?
3.  Should the UK distributor be responsible for this support over here seeing  how they are charging such a huge mark-up for "support"?

Hi Terry

1. The updates would come directly from us as we have to send (email) a file which allows you to connect to our server.

2. I plan to create and post update notices in the Softwear section of our website and also in AudioCircle.

3. Terry you mean support from the software side - if so I would say its better to do it directly from here.  If its a hardware issue then yes it is up to the specific distributor to take care of things.

james

alinto

« Reply #66 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:39 pm »
What does the new update do? I generally do not update my equipment unless I am having a problem with the equipment or if there is a tangible improvement. Also, I thought the bdp-1 has a feature to check for updates itself or is this feature not active yet.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:43 pm »
What does the new update do? I generally do not update my equipment unless I am having a problem with the equipment or if there is a tangible improvement. Also, I thought the bdp-1 has a feature to check for updates itself or is this feature not active yet.

Hi alinto,

Really good point :thumb:  I hesitate sometimes to promote software changes that are only 'housekeeping' issues because downloading new software for some can be a confusing task and there is always some risk of error.

There is no automatic download of software because the purchase and serial number has to be confirmed before we send new software.

james

pimandro

« Reply #68 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:01 pm »
I did the update, so good.
Today I heard all day bdp1 with Bryston dac, I'm very happy, it's been two months and I still wonder to what sounds good.
Is very nice to have the chance to talk to the manufacturer for advice.
I do all my congratulations to James.
Now I'm using Bryston max interface, rather than mpod.
There are a few things but 'I hope you improve:
1 - as you enter the Shuffle? You could not put a specific button?
2-it would take an option to search for songs
3 - the time bar overlaps with that of the album info
4-would be nice to have the opportunity to choose whether to add this song to your playlist or just listen
5 - v-meter put on a blue background

Thanks
P.s. State problrma resolving wait times?

Sorry for my bad english

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #69 on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:29 pm »
There is no automatic download of software because the purchase and serial number has to be confirmed before we send new software.

james

Just wondering, Why is this? You already made the money on the product, does it really matter if an owner bought the equipment new from an "authorized dealer", or from someone that creates a "grey market" because prices are through the roof in some areas whereas they are WELL below that in other areas, or second hand?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:53 pm »
Just wondering, Why is this? You already made the money on the product, does it really matter if an owner bought the equipment new from an "authorized dealer", or from someone that creates a "grey market" because prices are through the roof in some areas whereas they are WELL below that in other areas, or second hand?

if you loose the support of your dealers/distributors you're out of business.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #71 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:47 am »
James,

the rear ports of the BDP don't have no space between 'em (too narrow compared to the front ports). i know that the front ports are "made" for thumb drives but it would have been smart to provide the same space at the back for those customers who want to use different sized cables?!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 12 Feb 2011, 12:05 pm »
James,

the rear ports of the BDP don't have no space between 'em (too narrow compared to the front ports). i know that the front ports are "made" for thumb drives but it would have been smart to provide the same space at the back for those customers who want to use different sized cables?!

al.

Hi Al -

The back ports are mounted directly to the CPU circuit board (part of the cpu circuit board) and spacing them would have meant an adapter board which we did not want to do.  I have not had any issue plugging in standard USB cables.

james
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 01:08 pm by James Tanner »

terrycym

« Reply #73 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
Now that my BDP-1 is fully networked to my Windows PC and iPAD, I've been playing with the various interfaces - MPoD, Max, Minion and Gnome (are there more)

Album art
Do I add the images inside the actual flac files (I have mp3tag) adding to the metadata?
Do I just drop a jpg into the folder containing the flacs?
Does the name of the jpeg matter and if so what should it be called?

Thanks,
Terry

Bugsy

« Reply #74 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm »
Now that my BDP-1 is fully networked to my Windows PC and iPAD, I've been playing with the various interfaces - MPoD, Max, Minion and Gnome (are there more)

Album art
Do I add the images inside the actual flac files (I have mp3tag) adding to the metadata?
Do I just drop a jpg into the folder containing the flacs?
Does the name of the jpeg matter and if so what should it be called?

Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry

What cd ripper are you using?

If you use dBpoweramp once you put the cd in your drive and it will scan it, then it will check the internet for meta, the album art should appear then, however you have options to check the internet for better pics, or if no album art appears you can google the album and try to find the album art, save the pic to a file, then add it or scan the cover art then add it.

You then can check the meta to see if it matches the CD info. I try to check both of these items and try to get the best match before I rip the cd.

Have fun and good luck

Larry

skunark

« Reply #75 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:21 am »
I have  a Mac Pro laptop and I can transfer files to the attached USB drives on the BDP-1 as long as those drives are formatted Fat32. You can use the Mini or the Max interface or any of the web browser interfaces as you can on tha PC as well.

james

This seems like problem solved with network access to files via BDP.   Instead of trying to get the BDP to read files on the network, why not just use the BDP as a NAS.   Problem solved IMO.   I don't have to worry about the other computer to be on nor would I have to deal with teaching the BDP to log on to the fileshare.

werd

« Reply #76 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:03 am »
This seems like problem solved with network access to files via BDP.   Instead of trying to get the BDP to read files on the network, why not just use the BDP as a NAS.   Problem solved IMO.   I don't have to worry about the other computer to be on nor would I have to deal with teaching the BDP to log on to the fileshare.

Hey Skunark

How about just thinking of it as a dac that you can stick usb sticks and bus powered HD;s into.  :thumb:

You know you guys might be barking up the wrong tree here. I would be more interested in what he's doing with the SP3. There could be some funky stuff going on with this and how it interfaces with the bdp. James has kind of been silent about this piece lately?.   :scratch:

srb

« Reply #77 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:16 am »
How about just thinking of it as a dac that you can stick usb sticks and bus powered HD;s into. 

Because it is a digital file player with no internal digital to analog conversion and therefore isn't a DAC.

Steve

skunark

« Reply #78 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:36 am »
Hey Skunark

How about just thinking of it as a dac that you can stick usb sticks and bus powered HD;s into.  :thumb:

You know you guys might be barking up the wrong tree here. I would be more interested in what he's doing with the SP3. There could be some funky stuff going on with this and how it interfaces with the bdp. James has kind of been silent about this piece lately?.   :scratch:

Werd, it's not a DAC.... if anything you can related the BDP to a CD transport.  The NAS feature is already there and requires no change for Bryston other than to market it as a feature if you connect up drives to it.  If anything they could make a HDD enclosure with a reasonable power supply.

drewant

« Reply #79 on: 14 Feb 2011, 02:59 am »
I've ripped my cds to an external hd in apple lossless using itunes.  If I take that external hd and attach it to the bdp-1, what would navigation of my collection look like?  Would I have cover art?  Could I browse by genre (or other info that itunes stores)?

If I get a Mac Mini with a large enough internal hd, could I connect that as my source for the bdp-1?

Thanks for any guidance.