BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

canuck5

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1580 on: 20 Nov 2021, 01:00 am »
When I lose the connection, BDP1 loses the IP address, a can't open the bryston player on the computer or the app

Rocket

« Reply #1581 on: 20 Nov 2021, 06:00 am »
Hi,

Have you tried replacing your ethernet cable from the modem to the bryston bdp1? I did this and it appears to be work now. I had the exact same issue as you.

Cheers Rod

canuck5

« Reply #1582 on: 20 Nov 2021, 01:56 pm »
Yes I did that, no change.

Think I'll have to call bryston next week

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1583 on: 20 Nov 2021, 02:30 pm »
Contact Chris - crice@bryston.com

jazz4u2

« Reply #1584 on: 27 Nov 2021, 09:08 pm »
I've been using the BDP-2 with latest version of Manic Moose for years, but have never been able to get Artist View working. Because of this I just use Default View, and dig through the folders.  I previously used external apps like Rigelian and MPad, but would really like to use the Bryston native interface. 

When I select Artist View (after enabling Bryston DB), Save, Reset DB and Reboot, I always get the message:
"Unable to find MPD (tag_cache) database file".  I have a scratch file set up on my direct-connected WD Passport USB drive.
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

jazz4u2

« Reply #1585 on: 27 Nov 2021, 09:13 pm »
For any interested Jazzgroove.org Premium hi-res subscribers, I wrote a guide on how to play Jazzgroove hi-res URL streams on the BDP:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSZ6dlEmdHYiGEyYc0E73RnhGhg3Pwwjfdex8-K46LYWq5WZN7dGtqoe4pXPbDcrg/pub

R. Daneel

« Reply #1586 on: 22 Jan 2022, 03:25 pm »
Hello!

This one is for Chris and anyone who feels like they can answer my questions.

They are mostly about using the BDP-2 with an SSD:

1. What is the fastest solution:
- an internal SATA drive,
- an external SATA drive connected to the eSATA connector in the rear,
- an external USB drive?

2. Which generation of SATA is available in the BDP-2 and is the machine capable of utilizing this protocol to the fullest or is it limited by it's system bus?

3. Are there any specific SSD makes and models that work better than others with the BDP-2 and which one and what size would you recommend?

4. Considering an upgrade from a BDP-2 to BDP-3 costs 1.500 USD, is it possible to buy a replacement BDP-2 motherboard in case I need a new one in the future and how much does it cost?

Thanks a lot!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1587 on: 24 Jan 2022, 05:02 pm »
Hello!

- an external USB drive?

2. Which generation of SATA is available in the BDP-2 and is the machine capable of utilizing this protocol to the fullest or is it limited by it's system bus?

3. Are there any specific SSD makes and models that work better than others with the BDP-2 and which one and what size would you recommend?

4. Considering an upgrade from a BDP-2 to BDP-3 costs 1.500 USD, is it possible to buy a replacement BDP-2 motherboard in case I need a new one in the future and how much does it cost?

Thanks a lot!
Antun

Anyone please?

Jozsef

« Reply #1588 on: 26 Jan 2022, 04:15 pm »
I spoke with Chris Rice about storage quite a ways back and as I recall, he said there is nothing slow enough to have any impact whatsoever, presumably meaning an old 5400 RPM mobile drive. He also wasn't recommending mounting it internally just because in the event of failure, replacing it would be a lot more bother that way, meaning that there is no performance gain to be had. (Of course, if we did listening "tests" I can pretty much guarantee that you and I would both hear a difference, but it's an artifact of human brain function, which is why we are well advised to trust the Bryston folks about these things.) SATA drives conform to a set of standards so no matching with systems is required for compatibility reasons.

On another occasion, I also spoke with Chris Russell about the scary prospect of a major board failure in my BDP-2 and he said they do have people who can do board level repairs, so when they finally run out of replacements, it will not necessarily be the end of the unit. I also know a reputable company in Toronto who does this kind of repair so it's not out of the question to use these devices for a long time. They use an industrial grade board that should be built to last anyway.

zoom25

« Reply #1589 on: 26 Jan 2022, 07:18 pm »
INTERNAL:

Samsung EVO (860 or 870) or Crucial MX500 if you need 500GB/1TB/2TB. I have Samsung EVO's in my NUC and iMac. Love them. Very reliable and have done many TBs of writes and rewrites.

The Samsung QVO are a level below the above two, but definitely would consider them for music storage if you need higher capacity like 4TB or even 2TB.

External USB SSDs:

Samsung T5. Their 2TB had a strong sale this past Black Friday. This is the one to get as its plenty fast for this usage, cheap, and consumes little power and stays cool. Very reliable.

(Having said that, NAS for SQ.) :no_speak:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1590 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:07 pm »
Hello!

- an external USB drive?

Thanks a lot!
Antun

Hi Antun,

Sorry for not being as active as I use to be on this forum, been pretty busy these days.

1. There really shouldn't be any measurable difference between any three of those methods of communication.  If there is then its likely just bad luck with a selected drive, cable, or mainboard in your BDP OR as Jozsef pointed out the human factor.

2. SATAIII (i believe still the latest version) has been around since 2008 which predates even the BDP-1's release.  There have been updates to the protocol, but nothing that should effect read performance.

3. Not particularly, customers have had good luck with the samsung 800 series, but anything should work.  If its a BDP-2 I typically suggest keeping the drive capacity at or under 2TB.

4. You'd have to email us for a quote, but i think we can accommodate that request

Hope this helps,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1591 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:07 pm »
(Of course, if we did listening "tests" I can pretty much guarantee that you and I would both hear a difference, but it's an artifact of human brain function,\
:thumb:

canuckianM6K

« Reply #1592 on: 28 Jan 2022, 04:36 pm »
Yes I did that, no change.

Think I'll have to call bryston next week

Thanks

Did you end up calling and/or solving your issue?    :scratch: I’m able to play to the BDP-2 via roon app yet recently became unable to get the native control app to load in a browser (chrome, mozilla, edge, safari, opera).  Ideas welcome.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1593 on: 29 Jan 2022, 10:40 am »
I spoke with Chris Rice about storage quite a ways back and as I recall, he said there is nothing slow enough to have any impact whatsoever, presumably meaning an old 5400 RPM mobile drive. He also wasn't recommending mounting it internally just because in the event of failure, replacing it would be a lot more bother that way, meaning that there is no performance gain to be had. (Of course, if we did listening "tests" I can pretty much guarantee that you and I would both hear a difference, but it's an artifact of human brain function, which is why we are well advised to trust the Bryston folks about these things.) SATA drives conform to a set of standards so no matching with systems is required for compatibility reasons.

On another occasion, I also spoke with Chris Russell about the scary prospect of a major board failure in my BDP-2 and he said they do have people who can do board level repairs, so when they finally run out of replacements, it will not necessarily be the end of the unit. I also know a reputable company in Toronto who does this kind of repair so it's not out of the question to use these devices for a long time. They use an industrial grade board that should be built to last anyway.

Thank you Jozsef! An excellent information! I completely agree with your point on the 'audible' differences. In fact, you'll rarely find a bigger skeptic than me when it comes to those things! ;)

Cheers - Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1594 on: 29 Jan 2022, 10:44 am »
INTERNAL:

Samsung EVO (860 or 870) or Crucial MX500 if you need 500GB/1TB/2TB. I have Samsung EVO's in my NUC and iMac. Love them. Very reliable and have done many TBs of writes and rewrites.

The Samsung QVO are a level below the above two, but definitely would consider them for music storage if you need higher capacity like 4TB or even 2TB.

External USB SSDs:

Samsung T5. Their 2TB had a strong sale this past Black Friday. This is the one to get as its plenty fast for this usage, cheap, and consumes little power and stays cool. Very reliable.

(Having said that, NAS for SQ.) :no_speak:

Thank you for the recommendation, zoom25! Much appreciated! As you suggested, I will have a look at the Samsung offerings and report back. I think I might have seen some Samsung ones in computer stores.

Speaking of which, the number of these stores has seen a dramatic decline and it seems like there are no dedicated stores and that the stores now sell all kinds of things that have nothing to do with computers so the personnel there have very little knowledge about the things they're selling. It's a sad state of affairs I think.

Cheers - Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1595 on: 29 Jan 2022, 11:27 am »
Hi Antun,

Sorry for not being as active as I use to be on this forum, been pretty busy these days.

1. There really shouldn't be any measurable difference between any three of those methods of communication.  If there is then its likely just bad luck with a selected drive, cable, or mainboard in your BDP OR as Jozsef pointed out the human factor.

2. SATAIII (i believe still the latest version) has been around since 2008 which predates even the BDP-1's release.  There have been updates to the protocol, but nothing that should effect read performance.

3. Not particularly, customers have had good luck with the samsung 800 series, but anything should work.  If its a BDP-2 I typically suggest keeping the drive capacity at or under 2TB.

4. You'd have to email us for a quote, but i think we can accommodate that request

Hope this helps,
Chris

Hi Chris! No need to apologise, it is perfectly understandable. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It is good to know that any SSD, be it internal or external, should work the same, more or less. I think a 1TB drive would be more than enough for my needs so basically the only question that remains is the SSD brand and model number which will inevitably depend on availability in my area as well as the price. Zoom25 and you have kindly suggested to look at the Samsung offerings so naturally that is what I will look at first.

Can you please tell me two more things:
1) I have had problems with the front panel board as some of the cursor buttons stopped working. The problem was resolved thanks to Mr. Russel's intervention who, displeased with my distributor, had a new machine sent directly to me, from Canada to Croatia. A first class gentleman, if you ask me. Anyway, Can this front panel board (I don't know whether it also includers the VFD) be ordered as a spare part as well as the motherboard?
2) Whom should I contact to get a quote for these parts and can they be purchased directly from Bryston or do I need to go through the distributor?

Many thanks for your help!
Cheers - Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1596 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:42 pm »

1) I have had problems with the front panel board as some of the cursor buttons stopped working. The problem was resolved thanks to Mr. Russel's intervention who, displeased with my distributor, had a new machine sent directly to me, from Canada to Croatia. A first class gentleman, if you ask me. Anyway, Can this front panel board (I don't know whether it also includers the VFD) be ordered as a spare part as well as the motherboard?
2) Whom should I contact to get a quote for these parts and can they be purchased directly from Bryston or do I need to go through the distributor?

Yah i don't see why not.  It would be Mike that would ultimately handle the quote and getting those parts to you, but if you email me I can give him the a list of part numbers to quote

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Chris

zoom25

« Reply #1597 on: 31 Jan 2022, 11:40 pm »
Hi Chris! No need to apologise, it is perfectly understandable. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It is good to know that any SSD, be it internal or external, should work the same, more or less. I think a 1TB drive would be more than enough for my needs so basically the only question that remains is the SSD brand and model number which will inevitably depend on availability in my area as well as the price. Zoom25 and you have kindly suggested to look at the Samsung offerings so naturally that is what I will look at first.

Since you only need 1TB, let me make this very easy for you. Get the Samsung 870 EVO. This is the best of the bunch. The 870 EVO and Crucial MX500 (slightly lower than 870 in both specs and retail price) are really good drives and perform amazingly even for OS drives. I've used my Samsung EVO's without a hitch and written hundreds of TBs data worth. Do not touch the Samsung QVO. Forget about it. The Crucial has a slightly lower retail price than the Crucial. Both of these drives go on sale, but the Samsung EVO gets the stronger sale and is available everywhere and you can actually find this for cheaper. This is the best one to get. Put it in once and forget about it. Highly reliable.

If you decide to go with an external SDD, your best options are: Samsung T5, T7, and (my new favourite) Sandisk Extreme V2.

This is THE article to read to understand where all these drives stack up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16120/sandisk-extreme-portable-ssd-v2-and-wd-my-passport-ssd-2020-review

The Samsung T5 (older, cheaper, 500MB/s) and T7 (newer, slightly more expensive, 1000MB/s) are both proven options. The Samsungs in comparison to the rest run cool and consume little power during standby. Samsung is really good when it comes to temperature and power consumption. The Samsung externals also saw amazing sale prices this past Black Friday and during holidays.

However, these Samsung drives are somewhat older and there are better drives out there now. The new Sandisk Extreme V2 (non-pro version) beats the Samsung and the rest of the current 1000MB/s drives on the market overall. I use one for video editing and it was definitely worth the premium. For Bryston BDP use, you're not really going to notice any difference between the three. You'll only notice a difference when transferring lots of data to the drive initially. The Sandisk has the best sustained speeds (as noted in the article) which I can confirm and highest peak. I've also used the Sandisk Extreme V2 with the BDP-1 and it works perfectly (as should the T5 and T7 which are cheaper). I think the T5 on a sale price is the best option.

The Samsung (for internal) are truly excellent. However, look into Samsung warranty and Croatia. I've seen issues with Samsung warranties and how they are applied when it comes to drives and which party (store/place of purchase or Samsung) is responsible. Although, I think this issue is only limited to Canada. Double check for Croatia.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1598 on: 3 Feb 2022, 06:00 pm »
Yah i don't see why not.  It would be Mike that would ultimately handle the quote and getting those parts to you, but if you email me I can give him the a list of part numbers to quote

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Chris

Thank you, Chris! E-mail sent your way!

Cheers - Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1599 on: 3 Feb 2022, 06:29 pm »
Since you only need 1TB, let me make this very easy for you. Get the Samsung 870 EVO. This is the best of the bunch. The 870 EVO and Crucial MX500 (slightly lower than 870 in both specs and retail price) are really good drives and perform amazingly even for OS drives. I've used my Samsung EVO's without a hitch and written hundreds of TBs data worth. Do not touch the Samsung QVO. Forget about it. The Crucial has a slightly lower retail price than the Crucial. Both of these drives go on sale, but the Samsung EVO gets the stronger sale and is available everywhere and you can actually find this for cheaper. This is the best one to get. Put it in once and forget about it. Highly reliable.

If you decide to go with an external SDD, your best options are: Samsung T5, T7, and (my new favourite) Sandisk Extreme V2.

This is THE article to read to understand where all these drives stack up: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16120/sandisk-extreme-portable-ssd-v2-and-wd-my-passport-ssd-2020-review

The Samsung T5 (older, cheaper, 500MB/s) and T7 (newer, slightly more expensive, 1000MB/s) are both proven options. The Samsungs in comparison to the rest run cool and consume little power during standby. Samsung is really good when it comes to temperature and power consumption. The Samsung externals also saw amazing sale prices this past Black Friday and during holidays.

However, these Samsung drives are somewhat older and there are better drives out there now. The new Sandisk Extreme V2 (non-pro version) beats the Samsung and the rest of the current 1000MB/s drives on the market overall. I use one for video editing and it was definitely worth the premium. For Bryston BDP use, you're not really going to notice any difference between the three. You'll only notice a difference when transferring lots of data to the drive initially. The Sandisk has the best sustained speeds (as noted in the article) which I can confirm and highest peak. I've also used the Sandisk Extreme V2 with the BDP-1 and it works perfectly (as should the T5 and T7 which are cheaper). I think the T5 on a sale price is the best option.

The Samsung (for internal) are truly excellent. However, look into Samsung warranty and Croatia. I've seen issues with Samsung warranties and how they are applied when it comes to drives and which party (store/place of purchase or Samsung) is responsible. Although, I think this issue is only limited to Canada. Double check for Croatia.

Hi zoom25!

Thank you so much for a most informative post! You're quite a gentleman! Also, I am quite impressed that you know I live in Croatia. I rarely hide anything but it's amazing to me that people actually read what I write.

I read the article you suggested and found some interested contenders in my area. I typically try to buy from stores that actually 'exist' because they're less likely to disappear when you have to claim warranty. You know, the kind where you come around the following month only to find a pizzeria where the store used to stand.

In any case, this is how much some of these drives cost here:
1. Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, 5 year warranty - 976 HRK (130 €)
2. Crucial MX500 1TB, 5 year warranty - 807 HRK (108 €)
3. Crucial BX500 1TB, 3 year warranty - 721 HRK (96 €)
4. Kingston A400 960GB, 3 year warranty - 759 HRK (101 €)

The Samsung is likely the best one but it is also the most expensive one. I now know that there are different 'levels' of SSDs and that 'SSD is not an SSD'. In the case of these drives, the Crucial BX500 and Kingston A400 do not have a DRAM apparently which, if I understood this right, is basically a buffer (like computer RAM, of a sort) and allows for quicker access times. In fact, some fellow (I actually quite like his videos) specifically spoke against buying a non-DRAM SSD.

I must say, this is confusing a bit because my brother who assembles my PCs for me, just informed me that my "old" CAD workstation we just renewed does in fact use two Crusial BX500 drives running in "RAID 1" array. And according to the online source, this one should be slow. Interesting.

In any case, how do you feel about these drives taking into account the price? I know, the prices are high but they have always been high in Europe and they will only get higher.

Thanks again mate!

Cheers - Antun