New member in CA

WaaCur

New member in CA
« on: 1 Dec 2022, 06:44 am »
Hi all,
Been reading here for quite awhile and just found that to search I need to register & post.  Seems fare enough.
Floor space is at a premium here so I have in-wall fronts, in ceiling rears and am looking at different ways to put sub(s?) in-ceiling or under-floor.

I recall reading good information somewhere on this site years ago, and thought I'd just use search to find them again before asking questions.  I expect the first answer (or 100) will say to get rid of the in-walls :)

Regards,
  WaaCur

Phil A

Re: New member in CA
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:39 pm »
Welcome to AC!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:53 pm »
Welcome!

In-wall/ceiling/floor subwoofers can be found in the Cult of the Infinite Baffle site.

WaaCur

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2022, 07:12 am »
Thank you JLM.  (and Phil A)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2022, 12:26 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2022, 06:38 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC WaaCur   :thumb:

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2022, 01:28 am »
I don't think there's anything wrong with in-wall speakers, especially if it's necessary.  As someone mentioned, the larger baffle is helpful with minimizing or eliminating diffraction and as long as the drivers behave well with their in-wall airspace then you're going to be just fine.  Having an in-wall or below floor subwoofer could be more complicated depending on your floor and wall materials.  Subwoofers generally need more volume in their cabinet to behave correctly.  There are ceiling mount subwoofers that are alright.  Have you considered using a bass shaker to mount to your furniture?  Not quite as cool as a sub but might fit your situation.
https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/bass-shakers

Here's an in wall subwoofer.  Not sure how well it would perform.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-ME10S-Micro-Edge-10-In-Wall-Subwoofer-300-421?quantity=1

WaaCur

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 11:01 pm »
I have both empty attic space above, and crawl space below the room, so cabinet space will not be an issue.  Build will be more complicated but that is part of the enjoyment for me.  As long as it sounds good in the end too.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2022, 09:33 pm »
There shouldn't be anything wrong with putting a sub in the floor if you have enough space to properly build the box and the woofer is firing into the room.  That could work great.