Maggie storage?

JS

Maggie storage?
« on: 1 Dec 2022, 02:29 am »
Hey folks! Read a thread that was posted a while ago pertaining to storing Magnepan .  Unfortunately, it didn't have anything info for what I'm seeking.

I'm going to be moving out of my home for the winter and had originally planned to take the system with me.  Unfortunately that isn't going to be possible at this time.  Due to fuel cost, the house will be left unheated.  As much as I hate doing this, would I be at high risk of damaging the mylar even if they're packed in their box?  It may be possible to leave them with someone until spring.   It would be preferable to leave them home.   Suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

JS

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Maggie storage?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2022, 11:02 am »
I would think they'd be okay but if you're talking an extended period of below freezing temperatures you might want to call their Service Department to see what they have to say.

Maybe look around for insured, climate-controlled storage for your stereo gear and other valuables.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2022, 12:54 pm »
You can leave them with me, I'll make sure to keep them warmed up all winter.

It's standard advice not to store Maggies in freezing temps.  However I did it with no immediate damage.  How much it might have reduced the life of the speaker in the future I've no clue as I sold them not long after (fully disclosing that to the purchaser who closely examined the lamination and found nothing wrong).  So the answer is maybe okay, maybe not, but I wouldn't do it again.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2022, 06:15 pm »
If you leave your heat off are your pipes going to feeeze?

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2022, 07:41 pm »
Not wise to leave your home without heat. Asking for future problems.

Don P

JS

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2022, 03:18 am »
Thank you for your replies. 

Just an update letting you know the system will be going with a relative.  Have all original packing which makes for a much easier job.  Just have to figure out the speaker packing arrangement.   

Sadly, I'm unable to keep the place heated. Have to bleed the pipes and hot water tank before walking out and won't be around until spring.  Long story. :( 

JS