What track or tracks do you use to check your low bass?

Huck

Just wondering what track or tracks do you use to check if your system is putting out bass,low bass but not subsonic bass.
I use "No Man's Land" off the CD "Your Wilderness" by Pineapple Thief...it starts off pretty mild,then kicks it up a few notches at around 2:22,almost half way through.
I keep checking this track just to see how 'far I can go',bass-wise without triggering my limiters (actually scared a little bit).This track gets a #68 on my pre-amp volume control,tonight I go for #70...see what happens.
I used to use a lot of Pink Floyd's stuff,but now Pineapple Thief is my 'go to' for bass.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2022, 06:59 pm by Huck »

DannyBadorine

Re: What track or tracks do you use to check your low bass?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:15 pm »
I generally use a song by Run The Jewels called "Panther Like Panther".  But if you're not into hip hop then I don't recommend them.  My second choice would be "Iron" by Woodkid.  The Orchestral stuff really comes through with this and there's a lot of good low end material there.  My last low end check is "Becker" by Autolux.  The low end on this track kicks in after a minute or so and it's ripping.  It's even a bit over the top, which makes it a good song to check with.  If I think that it's just a bit too much then the subs are balanced correctly.

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:35 pm »
I generally use a song by Run The Jewels called "Panther Like Panther".  But if you're not into hip hop then I don't recommend them.  My second choice would be "Iron" by Woodkid.  The Orchestral stuff really comes through with this and there's a lot of good low end material there.  My last low end check is "Becker" by Autolux.  The low end on this track kicks in after a minute or so and it's ripping.  It's even a bit over the top, which makes it a good song to check with.  If I think that it's just a bit too much then the subs are balanced correctly.
Sorry,not into anything hip hop or rap,but I will check out that "Becker" track by Autolux tonight! Thanks,Huck

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:38 pm »
I like Holly Coles’ Temptation  disc. Any of  the first 4 tracks will offer great low acoustic bass. Also track 3 on Lyle Lovett’s Joshua, Judges, Ruth is a good test for low acoustic bass.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:44 pm »
I like Holly Coles’ Temptation  disc. Any of  the first 4 tracks will offer great low acoustic bass. Also track 3 on Lyle Lovett’s Joshua, Judges, Ruth is a good test for low acoustic bass.
Track 3 from LL is "She's already Made Up Her Mind"? Thanks,Huck

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2022, 04:17 pm »
Track 3 from LL is "She's already Made Up Her Mind"? Thanks,Huck

Yes

Digi-G

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2022, 04:29 pm »
I use Julia Michaels song "Issues".  I think that's a keyboard - not sure.  But it's very impressive with a sub.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2022, 04:32 pm »
Boris The Spider by the Who
PJ Harvey's album To Bring You My Love

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2022, 10:06 pm »
Keep 'em coming! Huck :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2022, 10:45 pm »
   This one goes pretty low but then I had just boosted my bass control up one notch to 3 1/2+ and wanted to check out how much different the bass sounded. :o

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2022, 10:50 pm »
Overpass - Marc Johnson

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2022, 10:57 pm »
Not really my cup of tea for regular listening but The Weeknd with Starboy is pretty decent. Not only does it bit low, but also makes you listen for texture and tone besides just low rumble notes. For regular mid-upper bass definitely Red Hot Chili Peppers is a staple.

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2022, 11:01 pm »
  Or this one.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2022, 12:20 am »
Mickey Hart - Planet Drum
All naturally recorded with window rattling bass.

dtune

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2022, 07:42 pm »
This is gonna sound strange but Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions is a great live recording using only stereo mike in front of the band. I can tell a lot about the system's low frequency response from this recording because there is a air conditioning system running in the background and you should hear the low frequency noise in the background superimposed on the overall acoustic clues - very revealing on a good system. How this was ever allowed into such a high quality recording is beyond me!

Carlton9000

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2022, 10:57 pm »

Theronbo

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2022, 11:33 pm »
The Hooly Cole - Temptation track is impressive…

Only problem, for me, u need good bass on left & right…

I built the Double Trouble GR research… assuming as a powered subwoofer… I’d only need one.

Was wondering why every time I’d see it pictured… I’d see people had built a pair… how odd … I mean you hook it up to LFE & low frequency is omnidirectional… right?

After the build & playing with it… found it’s best interconnected using preamp outs for (left speaker) then output from Double Trouble to a separate amp & finally to the left speaker.

This:
1. Recommended configuration
2. Gives you bass n stereo mode…
While allowing my relatively crude Polk subwoofer to be used in surround modes.

Any, when testing I tried a bunch of tracks

https://music.apple.com/us/album/kannabi/327785000?i=327785005

Japanese drum music is low frequency… but has overtones - can hear fast bass

https://music.apple.com/us/album/speed-shift/302887992?i=302887998

Album dedicated to testing bass. This track is for testing stereo bass. Interesting for my system since I can hear the difference in the Left vs Right (no subwoofer).

Forgive the Apple links…

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2022, 04:30 pm »
Not incredibly low but wonderful tone... if you system can track it with fidelity:

https://youtu.be/7x14sRLub8Y

https://youtu.be/3-um7eWjf9A

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

garyalex

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2022, 07:02 pm »