Amsterdam (2022) - quirky murder mystery comedy

WGH

Amsterdam (2022) - quirky murder mystery comedy
« on: 19 Nov 2022, 12:37 am »

Amsterdam won't appeal to everyone, it's busy with a lot of characters, the plot is not straight forward and dialog is as unusual as the characters, but I liked it anyway. The plot is inspired by the true story about an almost-forgotten Business Plan: a shadowy operation that attempted coup d'etat on American soil just before WWII. The film's beginning is a bit meandering but the story gets revved up in the second half. Three true friends set out to solve a murder only to discover the mystery goes much deeper.

Directed by David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Three Kings), his style in this film reminded me of Wes Anderson. All the main characters are quirky, relatable, and likeable.

The cast is big and deep with:
Christian Bale
Margot Robbie
John David Washington
Chris Rock
Anya Taylor-Joy
Zoe Saldana
Mike Myers
Michael Shannon
Timothy Olyphant
Taylor Swift - yes, that Taylor Swift
Rami Malek
Robert De Niro &
Ed Begley Jr in a non-speaking roll

A good time was had by all

As with all misunderstood works of art, critics don't know how to rate this film.
Alice says: "I don't know who I can recommend this movie too". Not because it's a bad film, it's because all of our friends like Hallmark movies.

Watch the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLs2xxM0e78

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Mike B.

Re: Amsterdam (2022) - quirky murder mystery comedy
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2022, 04:33 am »
I have seen comments by several people who have seen it. They were also positive about it. I did see a review where the reviewer thought it so bad he would not even give it one star. I will watch it when it comes out on disc.