Manic Moose status of replacement and question.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
Re: Manic Moose status of replacement and question.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2022, 02:23 pm »
I’ve rebooted the system and reloaded the database. No difference. My playlist won’t play anything and I can’t delete it or anything in it.

As for my playlists, that seems to work as intended.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2022, 03:36 pm »
OK please email Chris and let him log in remotely.

crice@bryston.com

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2022, 03:42 pm »
OK please email Chris and let him log in remotely.

crice@bryston.com

james

I will, but as I stated yesterday, I can’t put my unit into service mode, so he may not be able to log in!
I’m emailing him now.

Clive197

« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2022, 04:51 pm »
So your favourites in Manic Moose work fine??! You can play from the list and delete songs from it?
Are you using an iPad?
Not quite, I can play all my favourites but totally unable to delete anything and yes I use a iPad.

vonnie123

« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2022, 11:14 pm »
Furthermore, I seem to remember that we were told that Manic Moose’s replacement would be with us in the summer (though in fairness in which year was not mentioned).

That got a laugh….

J2Ordan

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2022, 03:15 am »
Well, as I have said before, the Moose is a little "DOS like." I'd like to have my Qobuz files mixed with my rips in the artist view as one cohesive collection and an interface similar to iTunes or Amarra. I'd settle for my Qubuz favorites being arranged in alphabet order rather then the order I added them (perhaps it's possible and I'm missing something).

The development of the new Moose seems quite daunting. Not only are the engineers dealing with compatible of MANY streaming services but with OLDER Bryston products as well. Perhaps not sun-setting older players has been a kink in the OS3 development hose.

All this said...

Again, I agree with GBaby. The Moose is very stable (as was DOS) and sounds great. Yes, I did give Roon a try on the 60 day trial but the sound quality was quite inferior to the Moose and the set-up requirements much more complicated.

And again, the customer service is second to none. With the few glitches I encountered, Chris and Mike were stellar with getting things back on track. BTW, these few issues were due to user (me) error.

So while I too am eager to see OS3, not eager enough to have a half-baked product released. In the meantime, the sounds going through the BDP3 are quite fine indeed!

Enjoy the Sounds,

John

alanford69

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2022, 01:42 pm »

I did give Roon a try on the 60 day trial but the sound quality was quite inferior to the Moose and the set-up requirements much more complicated.

And again, the customer service is second to none. With the few glitches I encountered, Chris and Mike were stellar with getting things back on track. BTW, these few issues were due to user (me) error.

I fully subscribe to your point of view, audio quality comes first and this is why we buy Bryston!
Nevertheless, the UX has to be considered part of the package nowadays, especially for best in class products such as the new BR-20. Great usability would drive much more sales and buyer’s enthusiasm in my opinion but that’s only my 2cents (well little bit more since I will get my new BR-20 in a few days  :wink: )

John could you please describe more what are the audio quality differences you experienced between the Moose and Roon? Thanks!

gbaby

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2022, 09:24 pm »
Well, as I have said before, the Moose is a little "DOS like." I'd like to have my Qobuz files mixed with my rips in the artist view as one cohesive collection and an interface similar to iTunes or Amarra. I'd settle for my Qubuz favorites being arranged in alphabet order rather then the order I added them (perhaps it's possible and I'm missing something).

The development of the new Moose seems quite daunting. Not only are the engineers dealing with compatible of MANY streaming services but with OLDER Bryston products as well. Perhaps not sun-setting older players has been a kink in the OS3 development hose.

All this said...

Again, I agree with GBaby. The Moose is very stable (as was DOS) and sounds great. Yes, I did give Roon a try on the 60 day trial but the sound quality was quite inferior to the Moose and the set-up requirements much more complicated.

So while I too am eager to see OS3, not eager enough to have a half-baked product released. In the meantime, the sounds going through the BDP3 are quite fine indeed!

Enjoy the Sounds,

John

Nice post. 8)

inglisd

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2022, 10:16 pm »
As a developer I appreciate Bryston's MM but as a user, I find that the Spotify
and Tidal client UI's are much better than MM's front end.  Has anyone tried running this: https://moodeaudio.org/
off a pi direct to a BDA ?  It does not appear to afford a Qobuz or Tidal connection.

gbaby

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2022, 12:36 am »
As a developer I appreciate Bryston's MM but as a user, I find that the Spotify
and Tidal client UI's are much better than MM's front end.  Has anyone tried running this: https://moodeaudio.org/
off a pi direct to a BDA ?  It does not appear to afford a Qobuz or Tidal connection.

So how do these interfaces on Spotify and Tidal compare to MM. Remember, when the BDP-1 debuted, these entities did not exist. My understanding is that the BDPs were designed with USB in mind with, Tidal and the like being an afterthought as well as an accommodation. Considering the totality of circumstances, unless there were tangible sonic benefits, MM should remain.

vonnie123

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:16 am »
So how do these interfaces on Spotify and Tidal compare to MM. Remember, when the BDP-1 debuted, these entities did not exist. My understanding is that the BDPs were designed with USB in mind with, Tidal and the like being an afterthought as well as an accommodation. Considering the totality of circumstances, unless there were tangible sonic benefits, MM should remain.

Not to mention the Roon RAAT compatibility retrofit.

Clive197

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:52 am »
MM should remain.

Absolutely NOT. It is passed its sale by date and should be sent to the scrap heap. MM has served its purpose gallantly but is now a woeful excuse for a modern streamer. Harsh maybe, but fair.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2022, 02:35 am »
Absolutely NOT. It is passed its sale by date and should be sent to the scrap heap. MM has served its purpose gallantly but is now a woeful excuse for a modern streamer. Harsh maybe, but fair.

I would say that the folks at Bryston agree, since they are developing its replacement!
Just wish it wasn’t taking soooo one!

inglisd

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2022, 03:05 am »
Considering the totality of circumstances, unless there were tangible sonic benefits, MM should remain.

User expectations evolve with time just as Bryston gear does: the fact there is BDP-1,2,3 attests to that.  Would you really
want to be running Windows Home Server now or Windows 11 ?  There doesn't have to be any sonic benefit to a UI
upgrade especially one that eliminates cheeky red oops my bad error pop-ups in the lower right corner of a web page.

gbaby

« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:43 pm »

Saying MM is "past" its sale date and should be sent to the scrap heap is harsh and show disrespect for the work done to make it perform for numerous products. I don't like the other interfaces mentioned as they are too busy looking in my subjective opinion. So far, the only reasons I've heard for changing MM is for minor glitches and aesthetics. Is this really enough reasons to change? Heck no.

gbaby

« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:48 pm »
User expectations evolve with time just as Bryston gear does: the fact there is BDP-1,2,3 attests to that.  Would you really
want to be running Windows Home Server now or Windows 11 ?  There doesn't have to be any sonic benefit to a UI
upgrade especially one that eliminates cheeky red oops my bad error pop-ups in the lower right corner of a web page.

I discarded Windows years ago and I have been happy in the Apple ecosystem. I have never seen the error pop ups you mention. And, if there is an error message then it means something is wrong. This has absolutely nothing to do with MM interface. In fact, with a new interface, there will be new glitches just like a Windows upgrade. I say again, leave MM alone.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2022, 01:53 pm »
Saying MM is "past" its sale date and should be sent to the scrap heap is harsh and show disrespect for the work done to make it perform for numerous products. I don't like the other interfaces mentioned as they are too busy looking in my subjective opinion. So far, the only reasons I've heard for changing MM is for minor glitches and aesthetics. Is this really enough reasons to change? Heck no.

Nobody’s trying to be harsh or disrespectful, but the fact that you are content with MM and so many other are not, tells me that you’re not concerned about getting what you paid for. I am!
If the software was written have have a favourites list, I’d expect to be able to use it!!I cannot!
Bryston’s reputation for hardware, is world class, and the interface to their products should be as well. IMO.
I’m patiently waiting for OS3 (or whatever they decide to name it) but until then, I’m enjoying the performance!

gbaby

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2022, 05:36 pm »
Nobody’s trying to be harsh or disrespectful, but the fact that you are content with MM and so many other are not, tells me that you’re not concerned about getting what you paid for. I am!
If the software was written have have a favourites list, I’d expect to be able to use it!!I cannot!
Bryston’s reputation for hardware, is world class, and the interface to their products should be as well. IMO.
I’m patiently waiting for OS3 (or whatever they decide to name it) but until then, I’m enjoying the performance!

Actually, I was quoting Clive. I agree with you the Favorites should work without a glitch. I also believe that this issue can be resolved. Every issue I've had with MM was resolved by Chris Rice. My experience has not been perfect, but it has been good enough and does not prevent me from enjoying my unit.  8) In this regard, I, like you, am enjoying the performance.  :thumb:

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #38 on: 1 Dec 2022, 05:42 pm »
Actually, I was quoting Clive. I agree with you the Favorites should work without a glitch. I also believe that this issue can be resolved. Every issue I've had with MM was resolved by Chris Rice. My experience has not been perfect, but it has been good enough and does not prevent me from enjoying my unit.  8) In this regard, I, like you, am enjoying the performance.  :thumb:

I’m sure everyone that has Bryston’s gear, is enjoying it! How can you not!👍
I agree that the issue could be resolved, however I do believe that it won’t be addressed by updates to MM.
OS3 will likely address all past issues, that’s why I’m so impatient for its release!
Cheers ✌🏻🎼🎵🇨🇦

inglisd

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2022, 04:54 am »
I discarded Windows years ago and I have been happy in the Apple ecosystem. I have never seen the error pop ups you mention. And, if there is an error message then it means something is wrong. This has absolutely nothing to do with MM interface. In fact, with a new interface, there will be new glitches just like a Windows upgrade. I say again, leave MM alone.

Your ecosystem choice is yours and not relevant to the discussion.  Yes, if there is an error message there is something wrong, but no, it does have something to do with MM since it
is the one producing the pop-up during my use of it. There is nothing in the log(s) on my BDP providing any info indicating otherwise.

Your comments are defending a brand everyone here likely owns (and is a fan of) in one form or another and values, otherwise, why post ?  Why not start a poll and get user feedback
that makes an already very good streamer (other than the UI) that much better ?