LGK 2.0 In Blanda Bowl Speaker?

tubav

LGK 2.0 In Blanda Bowl Speaker?
« on: 20 Nov 2022, 08:05 pm »
Toying with the idea of trying the new LGK 2.0 driver in an Ikea Blanda bowl speaker. Going to use the smallest bowl 5" since the LGK needs less air space. Sealed or ported? Would mount them on top of my 42 liter bass cabs using Dayton RS225-8 and cross around 350 or so. Would this work?

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: LGK 2.0 In Blanda Bowl Speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2022, 11:02 pm »
You stole my idea, just kidding. :lol: But I have been thinking about the same thing, and I think it is a very good idea. :thumb:
I wonder if that would work as open baffle?
Any how good on you for doing it.

Wayne in Oregon

tubav

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2022, 12:09 am »
No clue about open baffle. Maybe Danny or Hobbs will chime in. OB would be a lot easier and have one wing wider than the other. I know they have a lot going on and can't try every crazy idea their customers think up. I just thought it would look cool with the Blanda bowls sitting on top of the bass cabs I already have. If it looked good and sounded good that would be plus.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2022, 01:51 am »
Yes cut wings or even holes.

I would think you would want to make it sealed since you want to crossover at 350. You need to know the inside volume needed and Danny has that info. You could maybe use another bowl for the back half? Also you could maybe use a "filter" and biamp it. You would only need a capacitor and know the impedance of your amp, and use one of those online calculators to find the size. On the other hand I know nothing about speaker design and am just thinking out loud.

Didn't Hobbs 3D print something similar? 

Anyway have fun with your project.

Wayne in Oregon

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2022, 02:03 am »
For a sealed cabinet using the LGK 2.0, you'll need roughly 0.07cubic feet. (110 cubic inches/1.98L)
:thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2022, 04:07 am »
Can someone point me to the LGK data. I have done a number of Blanda Bowl designs.

This is the little bowls with Alpair 5.2/3.

With 3 bowl sizes this should be doable.

dave

tubav

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2022, 12:21 pm »
The LGK info is on the GR website: https://gr-research.com/product/lgk-woofer/
I know little about speaker design and have to rely on all the knowledge out there from smart folks like you.
Sealed would be easier but I'm open to trying your ported design.
Thanks.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2022, 05:34 pm »
Thanx. Sealed the blanda bowls would reach 100 Hz F6, i can do a vented alignment, but it needs highR vents (as in the one for the A5.2 above) and will have an estimated F6 of the mid 70s.

This driver should kick butt in Frugel-Horn Lite.

dave
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2022, 01:09 am by planet10 »

tubav

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2022, 07:00 pm »
Sent you a PM. Thanks.

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2022, 10:49 pm »
Toying with the idea of trying the new LGK 2.0 driver in an Ikea Blanda bowl speaker. Going to use the smallest bowl 5" since the LGK needs less air space. Sealed or ported? Would mount them on top of my 42 liter bass cabs using Dayton RS225-8 and cross around 350 or so. Would this work?

We tried them in a cabinet like that. It did not work out that well. We could not get a flat response using it.

If you want to cross them to another driver then just build the LGK 2.1 kit. We've already made it work, and it works great.