New from Floriduh

marnold624

New from Floriduh
« on: 19 Nov 2022, 01:39 pm »
Hi all, new member here to educate myself, I want to upgrade the crossovers of my current R820F tower speakers.
Current system is literally brand new, I went budget.
Marantz 5015 AVR used primarily as a 5.1.2 processor and to drive the surrounds, an Emotiva A3 3X140 amp to run the front stage consisting of Klipsch R820F towers and R-34C center. R51M for surrounds and R-41SA for heights with Polk SW10 sub. Like I said budget.
First thing I plan to do is to no-rez the cabinets and upgrade to tube connectors on the 820's which should focus what is an unfocus bass response, as that box resonates, a lot, but what I noticed was, as soon as I threw more power at them from the Emotiva amp the bass began to tighten up a little and the mids and top end became much cleaner. I know even just upgrading the parts on the xovers will help a lot, but my ultimate goal is to do what GR did to the Klipsch 8000 which was re-engineering the xovers to make it basically (in his words) a 2.5 way speaker from the 2 way it is now.

Phil A

Re: New from Floriduh
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2022, 03:43 pm »
Welcome - I'm in central east FL.  You may want to look in the GR Research circle (or others) about upgrading crossovers in your current speakers.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle. Have to ask why you bought speakers which you feel need immediate upgrade? Why didn't you buy speakers you like, and don't need upgrading?  :wtf:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2022, 01:09 am »
Welcome to the club.

I'm in Ponte Vedra. Where are you located.

marnold624

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2022, 10:36 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle. Have to ask why you bought speakers which you feel need immediate upgrade? Why didn't you buy speakers you like, and don't need upgrading?  :wtf:

They're mass marketed Klipsch speakers, regardless of the level I bought from their Reference line they would need some sort of upgrade, understanding that, I like the foundational sound of the Klipsch, they just need some tightening up and for a couple of hundy each I can get these to where i want them and still be under $1k into them. Believe me I looked/listened at all sorts of speakers and couldn't justify the money for sound difference that the others provided.

marnold624

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2022, 10:37 am »
Welcome to the club.

I'm in Ponte Vedra. Where are you located.

Beautiful Clearwater

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2022, 04:12 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2022, 11:00 pm »
Its not his fault, the magazines and audio sites always presents the crossover as a good thing or at most a harmless component, they will never inform the public that the crossover destroys the music to keep the herd under control.

DrPockets

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2022, 10:49 pm »
Hi there,

Buying speakers is difficult. A lot of the great speakers have more in common then they dont. Maybe you can meet some people and audition some.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2022, 11:47 pm »
If one have a handy woodworker its possible try the Lii Audio F15($399/Pair) or F18($540/pair) no Crossover, no Tweeter beaming, no phase rotation, no driver sensitivity loss, no harmonics loss, no retail price.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html
Lii Audio F15:
[/b]
Alpha 15A + 4.7mH + Visaton B200:

This is the Tube Amps Circle>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=144.0
This is the Fullrange Driver Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=128.0
This is the OB Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0