Jamo c607 Crossover upgrade worth it?

RenEH

Jamo c607 Crossover upgrade worth it?
« on: 7 Feb 2023, 09:39 pm »
I have 4 Jamo c607, 2 c603 and a center channel in my home theater. Ever since Dannie made the Jamo c803 video and called it unicorn I wondered if it would be worth the money to upgrade all their crossovers.

I love the tuning of the Jamo’s, and I don’t want to change that, but I would like more clarity and separation. I’m attaching a picture of the crossover to peruse. Any opinions or advice is well appreciated, thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Jamo c607 Crossover upgrade worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2023, 02:08 am »
The easiest option will be to swap out the 4 electrolytic caps for good budget poly cap (Solen, Audyn, Dayton, etc) with the same uF/MFD value (V value should be the same or higher than the original)

They will definitely be a lot larger, so you will likely need to use small jumper wires to make the connections, and use zip ties or hot glue to hold the new caps in place.

RenEH

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2023, 06:02 pm »
Thank you for the info! Would changing only the caps and still using the PCB (instead of point to point wiring, inductors and resistors still provide the clarity bump I’m looking for? I’m open to replacing the resistors as well since they’re economical. If I remember correctly Danny mentioned the binding post were quite poor as well, so they’re also on the chopping block.

I was told I could also run bypass films caps on the larger value electrolytics as well to save some money. Would that be a poor choice?

As these are only for home theater I’m trying to strike a balance to cost/performance

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2023, 06:30 pm »
You could replicate the whole crossover using new parts and point to point wire it all. It actually might be the best option as higher quality parts are going to be fairly large and will not fit on that old circuit board.

RenEH

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2023, 09:37 pm »
I've thought it over, and I'll re-do the entire crossover instead. How important would you say it is replace the iron core inductors?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2023, 01:54 am »
I've thought it over, and I'll re-do the entire crossover instead. How important would you say it is replace the iron core inductors?

One of the most important things to replace, it really opens up the mid-range clarity, especially vocals and string instruments.
Generally a good 16 gauge air core is your best option.

RenEH

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2023, 04:12 am »
Thank you, I may try getting a LCR meter and try winding my own. When the cost is multiplied by 7 I'm really trying to pinch pennies haha.