comparing Don Sachs integrated with LTA integrated

Daryl Zero

Re: comparing Don Sachs integrated with LTA integrated
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2022, 03:18 pm »
Because it is sort of on topic, here is the first review I've seen for the Z40i + (previous reviews are not for the "+")

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-linear-tube-audio-z40-integrated-amplifier/

jnschneyer

« Reply #21 on: 7 Oct 2022, 08:18 pm »
The thing about the sound of a system in this case a new amp is a sound with its use in his system, within his room acoustics, his power cords, etc. The same amp in my system might sound much different due to what I mentioned. Same amp could sound warmer or brighter in another system, then of course the preamp used would also make an impact.

I know that is the generally accepted wisdom, and, for the most part, I subscribe to it, though I think I do so purblindly, as I've not really heard enough of the same gear in different rooms, with different cables, preamps, etc to swear to the truth of it.  I have had one glaring example of it when first hearing a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds in a well-treated showroom, then hearing them (after purchasing them) in my own too small, acoustically inadequate room.  That was something of a shock.  A small amount of treatment made a huge difference, but it was a lesson in showroom vs living room.  I've also had the opposite experience.  The Valhalla I heard at the Spatial Audio shop is the same Valhalla (not literally) I now hear in my living room.  So, while we justify and make allowances based on differing equipment and circumstances, unless those differences are especially egregious (as in my showroom vs living room experience), I'm left wondering (and I know this is bordering on hifi heresy) just how significant or pronounced those differences really are.  I suppose once you've introduced such a vague qualifier as "especially egregious," you've rendered the possibility of coming to any universally recognized conclusion pretty much nil.  Anecdote is a powerful but unreliable measure.  Then, that's part of what keeps the audiophile ball rolling.       
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2022, 08:28 pm by jnschneyer »

Daryl Zero

« Reply #22 on: 4 Nov 2022, 02:08 pm »
New review from Steve Guttenberg of the LTA z40+

https://youtu.be/epNH6ELnJ74

RonN5

« Reply #23 on: 4 Nov 2022, 03:43 pm »
My sense is that amps, whether solid state or tube, are headed either in the direction of low distortion clarity or by design 2nd 3rd harmonics with warmth….and you either pick the sound you most prefer or own both and swap them in and out depending on what you are listening to.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #24 on: 4 Nov 2022, 04:22 pm »
I had wanted a combination which the LTA seems to bring. I had to swap all of the tubes to up the tube warmth sound index but I don't feel that I sacrificed any of the clarity and speed.