Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

newzooreview

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #400 on: 14 Nov 2022, 11:42 pm »
Those "tubes" seem awfully bright compared to the window lighting that appears to be hitting the rack.

The line drawings of the amp on the Mytek site don't show tubes sticking out of the top of the amp, and the write-up on the site only references tube-like sound from the amps, not the use of a tube stage in the circuit.

It would be somewhat comical for a $10k amp to have fake tube-looking lamps on the top.

WGH

« Reply #401 on: 14 Nov 2022, 11:51 pm »
It would be somewhat comical for a $10k amp to have fake tube-looking lamps on the top.

Comical but true

Mytek Nears the Big Launch of the Empire Streamer DAC and Empire Monoblocks
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-nears-big-launch-empire-dacstreamer-and-empire-monoblocks

Submitted by Michal Jurewicz on April 27, 2022 - 6:57pm

"Michal Jurewicz here, I am the chief designer of the new Mytek GanFET monoblocks. We have placed an "imitation tube" which is designed to reinforce the illusion that the amp sounds like a tube amp. The original idea comes from Alberto Guerra at agdproduction.com who created a GanTube (tm) which contains the GanFET output power stage. When I worked on our design our GanFET design with another engineer during the Covid lockdown we were looking at AGD page and scratching our heads why , with a Class D GanFET topology, there was a repeated claim that the circuit sounds like "tube". We were building our own circuits and evaluating them with listening every other day. Then one day I had a revelation: the circuit started sounding like a tube amp, specifically the velvety top and beatiful midrange. Expect for the bass, which is usually problematic in most tube amps, here , the bass was tight and controlled like in a good transistor amp. Well executed GanFET is an amazing technology, you get the best from tube world (top and midrange) and transistor world (tight bass). The imitation tube represents the soul of this amp. Mytek is offering the Empire Monoblocks with two covers: one featuring the tube (which is controllable- can be dimmed, different color) and the second cover is just plain cover for the users who'd rather not have the tube."

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #402 on: 14 Nov 2022, 11:58 pm »
  We have placed an "imitation tube" which is designed to reinforce the illusion that the amp sounds like a tube amp.  .... The imitation tube represents the soul of this amp. Mytek is offering the Empire Monoblocks with two covers: one featuring the tube (which is controllable- can be dimmed, different color) and the second cover is just plain cover for the users who'd rather not have the tube.  [/i]"

hopefully the model with the illusion tube will be the one at the $10k price point, and the model without the tube will cost significantly less. 

newzooreview

« Reply #403 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:13 am »
"…the second cover is just plain cover for the users who'd rather not have the tube."

Well, ok.

Maybe I should get a little battery-powered tealight and set it on top of my MiniGaN 5s.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #404 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:21 am »
"…the second cover is just plain cover for the users who'd rather not have the tube."

Well, ok.

Maybe I should get a little battery-powered tealight and set it on top of my MiniGaN 5s.

LOL…

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #405 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:22 am »
hopefully the model with the illusion tube will be the one at the $10k price point, and the model without the tube will cost significantly less.
I concur!

WGH

« Reply #406 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:35 am »

Mytek has you covered  :lol:

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #407 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:39 am »
Mytek has you covered  :lol:

this tube thingy is going to get mytek a lot of attention/publicity.  a lot of it will be negative/joke-y, but as the old saying goes "all publicity is good publicity" - it will get them noticed.

2bigears

« Reply #408 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:59 am »
 :D sucker born every minute.  Good lord this is beyond words.  :D

newzooreview

« Reply #409 on: 15 Nov 2022, 01:55 am »
I might have to go NOS.

genjamon

« Reply #410 on: 15 Nov 2022, 03:11 am »
Shit yeah! Now I know what to ask Santa for next Halloween!

catluck

« Reply #411 on: 15 Nov 2022, 01:41 pm »
:D sucker born every minute.  Good lord this is beyond words.  :D

2BigEars - So with you.  I can't believe this schmaltzy sillyness...  Just absurd. And BTW, are they really $10K/pair or.... from the Stereophile review noted above,

"Mytek's forthcoming Empire Streamer DAC ($24,995) and Empire GaNFET class-D monoblock amplifier ($9995/each or $19,990/pair)...."

Really? $20K/pair for GanFet amps with fake tubes?? I'm not going to write what I'm really thinking as it would be uncivil...  Mytek's site is vague as to whether the price is for 1 amp or 2.  And, interestingly, for those who might care, it's noteworthy that the  AGD products Michel (owner-designer at Mytek) referred to were reportedly unable to drive Magnepans without severe squaking, even with their fancy-silly circuit-in-a-tube while the far less expensive Orchard Audio, if memory serves, had no issues at all (drove the Maggies "sweetly").  "Good lord..." indeed

catluck

« Reply #412 on: 15 Nov 2022, 02:03 pm »
Maybe Spatial should release a new speaker with a fake super-tweeter on top to reveal the upper-most registers.... or???

genjamon

« Reply #413 on: 15 Nov 2022, 02:25 pm »
I think some integrated tea lights on top would be a nice touch, Catluck. Especially if they could flicker in time with the music.

Mr. Big

« Reply #414 on: 15 Nov 2022, 02:42 pm »
Mr Big

We’re those real tubes… or the “looks like tubes for marketing but not really tubes”  tubes?

They put the tube there to reflect their feeling that it has a similar sound to a tube amp. It's marketing, I think for fun also if someone would like that look, they will make the amps without the tube also. I know many will be wondering why the cost is when you can buy some for $1,500, but as I said manufacturers charge by what it costs to do research, build quality, and parts so well worth the asking price, then others just overbuilt to justify there asking price. Charge $50,000 for a speaker, amp, or preamp, it better has the look of that price. But sonically it's what we can hear and there is only so much you can hear, so and some point it becomes moot. You can buy Belles amps or you can buy Dan D'Agostino amps. Belles sound really good. But it's not a D'Agostino.

Dan's very good also, but each as its own buyers. Dan's stuff is not marketed to me, I cannot justify spending money like that but there are those buyers out there who can and in enough numbers to keep the company in business. I would not knock the "Mytek's amp till you hear one, and then you could make an informed opinion. I am not a class D man myself but that does not mean I don't respect those who like their sound. Its a hobby that's all it is.

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2022, 12:42 am by Mr. Big »

catluck

« Reply #415 on: 15 Nov 2022, 03:18 pm »
Mr. Big,
Your points are well taken and forced me to reconsider my position.  Thank you for that.  I should have finished my first cup'o'joe before knee-jerk responding to the Mytek issues noted.  I even felt that way while responding... I guess it's the audio pilgrim in me that decries the nature of fake.  And when the designer admits the "tube" is not functional....  I appreciate and, even admire, aesthetics in build.. So Agostino's kit, while, like you, is not marketed to me, is lovely and beautifully executed. Nothing fake about it. It goes without saying that Mytek has every right to build/market any product they see fit to.  My comments were not directed to its sound quality so no judgment there.  And while aesthetics, I suppose, can somehow "inform" sonic perception (Is that true? I'm not certain that's a legitimate/valid statement but perhaps), I think I'm reacting to the combination of high price, admitted inclusion of non-functional (?) circuitry, and the trend to over-building where it has no discernable audio justification (again, if that's true).  At some point, is overbuilt kit more a proxy of affluence than love of music? And I admit it's none of my damn business.  Ultimately, and again, to each their own (as has been noted, even by me). This is just a hobby.  Perhaps a new thread.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #416 on: 15 Nov 2022, 10:28 pm »
So in regards to the Class D Audio Gan5 amps, has it been determined yet that the stereo amp is just as good as the monoblocks or at least very very close?

2bigears

« Reply #417 on: 15 Nov 2022, 11:23 pm »
 :D good question t2t. We all would love to know. Why spend twice as moocho.  :D

genjamon

« Reply #418 on: 15 Nov 2022, 11:29 pm »
I think we’re waiting on a report back from Morgan, since he has both setups in-house to compare. Last I heard, he didn’t yet have enough hours on the mono’s to do an honest comparison. And he was pretty busy with work, so it sounded like it might take him a while before he could do the definitive test.

But I went ahead and bought a stereo. Tom at Class D Audio says they are easily bridgeable into monos at home, so easy to upgrade to dual monos later if the extra headroom is desired (or if crazy OCD audiophiliacs form a consensus they sound better).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #419 on: 15 Nov 2022, 11:45 pm »
I think we’re waiting on a report back from Morgan, since he has both setups in-house to compare. Last I heard, he didn’t yet have enough hours on the mono’s to do an honest comparison. And he was pretty busy with work, so it sounded like it might take him a while before he could do the definitive test.

But I went ahead and bought a stereo. Tom at Class D Audio says they are easily bridgeable into monos at home, so easy to upgrade to dual monos later if the extra headroom is desired (or if crazy OCD audiophiliacs form a consensus they sound better).

That’s right Morgan has both. Any early impressions you’d like to share Ben? This is in the same spot the Kismet was in use?