Custom RSC200

skeeter99

Custom RSC200
« on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:25 am »
Hey all! I know, I've been away a while! Been busy with work and houses and all that stuff :)

I've got a spare set of RS450's and an RSC200 that I want to use in my family room. Problem is, I've got a TINY mantle above the fireplace where the center channel would go. I've got 7.25" from the wall so, obviously, the RSC200 wouldn't fit as stock. I'm thinking building a simple front ported custom box to replace the stock box and placing the stock components inside. 

Does anyone know the internal airspace of the RSC200 or could help me come up with dimensions and port sizes and lengths?

Thanks!!

Scott

Danny Richie

Re: Custom RSC200
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:37 pm »
I designed an upgrade for that model that AV123 implemented into that design.

So the first thing I would do is check your crossover to see if it was one of the early ones or the one that I designed. There was quite a difference in the response.

Then if making the box wider and more shallow you will need to make sure you don't add surface area around the tweeter and mid. Add it to the outside of the woofers.

You might also consider converting it to a sealed design since it is going to be so close to the front wall.

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:40 pm »
Got it, thanks Danny! I'm pretty sure its the crossover you designed, its a later model one. How can I be sure?

I've thought about making it sealed, I don't need it to go low.

Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:42 pm »
Got it, thanks Danny! I'm pretty sure its the crossover you designed, its a later model one. How can I be sure?

I've thought about making it sealed, I don't need it to go low.

Scott

I can tell by looking at the crossovers. Mine used all air core inductors and poly caps.

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2022, 03:49 pm »
Cool, I'll take a look later. Assuming its yours and I choose to go sealed, my plan was to add the width to the outside of the woofers. What air space should I shoot for?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2022, 06:16 pm »
Cool, I'll take a look later. Assuming its yours and I choose to go sealed, my plan was to add the width to the outside of the woofers. What air space should I shoot for?

Sealed air space is typically 2/3rds to 1/2 of what they need ported. You have a little flexibility there as well.