BEST and CHEAPEST upgrade I have ever done....EVER

minatophase3

Re: BEST and CHEAPEST upgrade I have ever done....EVER
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2022, 04:29 am »
I put some of the sorbothane discs under several linear power supplies, router and my speakers, really made a big difference.  Whole system has a blacker background, sounds much better! 

Thanks for the tip!

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2022, 05:48 pm »
 :) what if you have a really good stand with vibration control and such,, do you think you need these ?  :D

Jon L

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2022, 08:26 pm »
I love how these old-timer tweaks seem to make cyclical comebacks  :D

I've tried them but went in different directions, but perhaps it's time to try some in the current setup.  IME, it's essential not to use too MUCH sorbothane and maintain the optimal amount of "squish," to be determined by experimentation. 

Badd99

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2022, 11:45 pm »
I love how these old-timer tweaks seem to make cyclical comebacks  :D

I've tried them but went in different directions, but perhaps it's time to try some in the current setup.  IME, it's essential not to use too MUCH sorbothane and maintain the optimal amount of "squish," to be determined by experimentation.

The more disc's you use the better, HOWEVER you need to maintain total load to disc weight rating. For example, 20lb dac can use 4 disc's rated at 4-8lb per disc but 8 2-4lb/disc is better.

Badd99

« Reply #24 on: 8 Sep 2022, 11:46 pm »
:) what if you have a really good stand with vibration control and such,, do you think you need these ?  :D

I thought this too, and it got better. A lot better. Try it you won't be sorry!

Carlman

« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2022, 11:41 am »
My speakers are pretty well anchored and isolated in my room.  My floor is concrete connected to Earth... And basically isolated from the rest of the house.

It seems to me like the reduced resistance in the horizontal plane would allow speaker movement fore and aft while they're producing good, desired vibration ...aka... music.

I think there's two schools of thought for this, drainage and isolation... If you already have isolation, and you do drainage to allow the vibration to go somewhere else.  But I don't know, I never understood it, I never got big benefits out of it.  I have found that moving my speakers during these experiments makes as much of a difference as well. 
When I got my speakers dialed into within 1 mm pointed to the same spot of each other, that made a much bigger difference than anything else I've tried.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2022, 03:35 pm »
For me, if you're on a solid floor like concrete, then spiking is usually a good option.  On the other hand if you're on a floating floor (usually wood), then isolation products might be better. 

But really there's no hard/fast rule, you just have to try both and see what works best for you.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2022, 12:06 am »
I put some of the sorbothane discs under several linear power supplies, router and my speakers, really made a big difference.  Whole system has a blacker background, sounds much better! 

Thanks for the tip!

Sorbothane has acoustic dampening properties and the more one uses the darker the background.  It basically acts like a room acoustic treatment material to control reflections.

mkane

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2022, 12:44 am »

We put 3 dots under each Wedgie crossover board. Squish looks to be about 30%. It sounds, different.

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2022, 04:20 am »
Keep the stuff off hardwood floors.

Yep, Sorbothane, like others elastomers will leach over time. Learned this the hard way. The damn stuff can even stain painted metal! Definitely agree with other comments here to use something in between the sorbothane and the surfaces it is in contact with…assuming one doesn’t want permanent stains.

MttBsh

« Reply #30 on: 17 Sep 2022, 04:51 am »
I never excelled in math, looking at the Isolate it! calculation charts made me want to smash my head on the wall :banghead:... Too many variables! perhaps someone smarter and with some experience using these can help me pick the right shape / duro to put under my speakers.

I use Cain & Cain single driver speakers that are about 6 feet tall and 65 pounds each. I would like to use 4 discs or hemispheres under each speaker (one under each corner). I'm not adverse to stacking squishier discs under each corner if that would work better than a single less squishy one. Can anyone recommend the best Isolate it! product to use?

Thanks so much in advance.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #31 on: 6 Oct 2022, 07:37 am »
Just put 8 sorbothane feet under the KEF Q350's in my office and being very sceptical at the same time but I can't believe how much difference it has made. I am converted. Now another set for my XLS encores. :) 

MttBsh

« Reply #32 on: 2 Nov 2022, 02:32 am »
I received an order of 16 50 duro cones and put them under my speakers and subs. Wow! deeper bass, longer decay, fuller, cleaner sound, beautiful. I am just now placing an order for another pack of 16 for under my electronics. Thanks again so much for the tip guys, I've tried lots of footers, these outperform everything I've tried, and for about $40 a pack it's the best bang for the buck I've experienced.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:45 am »
I bought the 8 pack of 30d Sorbothane from Amazon for around $19 bucks due to all the rave on here.  I compared them to the rubber/foam yoga mats I buy at Ross's for around 10 bucks or less.  Very slight difference with the Sorbothane having a little darker background which is personal preference.

Conclusion: They both work with a slight difference but one cost significantly more then the other.

genjamon

« Reply #34 on: 2 Nov 2022, 01:16 pm »
Anybody compare these to IsoAcoustics footers?  I have their Iso-Puck mini's on all my equipment to great effect, and have often wondered if they just use sorbothane as their internal material.  They have similar weight ratings as these sorbothane discs for the size, and do have a decent amount of squish to them as well. 

ric

« Reply #35 on: 2 Nov 2022, 01:35 pm »
I've used some sorbothane and Herbie's products, and have done my fair share of DIY with brass and other materials. At some point I realized for all the time and money nickel and dimeing, and straining to hear minute differences, it would be more effective to try the more expensive stuff--which for me is the IsoAcoustics products.
No comparison. I now have isoacoustics products under everything. Money well spent...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #36 on: 2 Nov 2022, 07:14 pm »
I've used some sorbothane and Herbie's products, and have done my fair share of DIY with brass and other materials. At some point I realized for all the time and money nickel and dimeing, and straining to hear minute differences, it would be more effective to try the more expensive stuff--which for me is the IsoAcoustics products.
No comparison. I now have isoacoustics products under everything. Money well spent...

Yep.  I’ve been using Isoacoustics stuff for years. 

routlaw

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2022, 11:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. Couple of points to make. Most but not all of the products sold on the Isolate It Sorbothane website come in two versions, one with and one without a coating. The ones with the coating are shinier and do not leach into other surfaces they are either attached to or sitting on. The website provides very good charts for what Duro rating one would use for a particular application based upon the weights applied to each bumper, sheet or strip of sorbothane used. And finally they sell direct too. Hope this helps.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 3 Nov 2022, 06:37 pm »
  Had my Ears cleaned by a Doctor.

charles

Creed

« Reply #39 on: 12 Nov 2022, 04:05 am »
I mean no disrespect to your findings but I’ve always found Sorbathane overly warm deadening and smears things. It’s okay under speakers sometimes in my system. I have a box of audio quest sorbathane disc very soft and heavy, they will stain furniture or rack. Maybe it’s system dependent and my gear doesn’t like it and others systems do.