Moving on from Logitech Squeeze Server. What next?

tday01

Moving on from Logitech Squeeze Server. What next?
« on: 20 Aug 2022, 02:24 am »
I have been using the squeeze server pretty much since it came out. It is now no longer supported on my NAS, and I feel it is time to move on. What is a good system that will provide a digital out into my DAC. Hoping for something not too expensive....

Any ideas welcome.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Moving on from Logitech Squeeze Server. What next?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2022, 03:59 pm »
Hi. Can you provide us with a budget. ‘Not too expensive’ can vary wildly for each person.

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2022, 04:41 pm »
Welcome - besides budget, it is always helpful to know what's in the rest of your system.  There's stuff like - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182897.0

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:34 pm »
I recommend Aurender. A used N100H goes for $1000-1500. Well worth the investment if you have USB input on your DAC.
Lumin is another brand of audiophile quality streamer, and they have moderately-priced models.

Aurender is a dramatic improvement in SQ over the consumer players. They make some of the best sounding streamers and a lot of their mojo trickles down to the bottom models. I have N100H and love it. I'm looking to upgrade to N200 soon. The user interface is very good. Streamer digital source was the last piece for me to upgrade out of consumer level hifi, and now I wish I did it years earlier.

If you are on a low budget, consider using Raspberry Pi with Volumio software installed. Excellent SQ for the money. If you don't have USB input on your DAC you can install a SPDIF accessory hat onto the RPi, or a even DAC hat with analog outs that's probably better than Squeezebox DAC. Volumio might still be free. Figure <$500. Less if you already have a Pi, or can get a used one, etc.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2022, 07:21 pm »
As mentioned the Raspberry pi is good and very inexpensive, but can be a little tech heavy.  Next up for me would be Bluesound Node. It has a digital output (s/pdif so no DSD) and sounds quite good. It also has it's own controller software accessible from a phone/tablet that looks/works well. You can stream easily from your NAS or internet services. It might be a Roon endpoint if you want to go that way?

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2022, 08:21 pm »
Raspi/Volumio user here.  Wasn't fun weaning off LMS, but Volumio can work OK.

There is also PiCore which includes LMS so if you're married to iPeng or other 3rd party controllers for LMS that is a good option too.

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2022, 02:35 am »
I enjoyed the SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server when I had it.  Replaced it only because it was USB-only.
The Bryston BDP-1 (non-USB) was a nice upgrade.  Finicky with its SD card where the OS ran.
Currently enjoying a Linn Akurate and a NUC running MPD in different locations.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2022, 03:10 am »
iFi Zen Stream has both Coax and USB outputs. You can buy it a LPS and an upgraded DC for under $500.  Plus from places like Music Direct or Crutchfield you can try it for 60 days and if it doesn't work for you send it back before you order and LPS or upgraded cable. There is a whole group of users and an iFi Rep on Headfi that can help you through any issues that come up.  You may find you are fine with it as it comes and not do any upgrades.

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2022, 11:41 am »
At the SB3 pricepoint, you'll have to decide on either a nice interface or high quality sound, not both.
I haven't heard the Aurender but that would be my next logical step to replace an aging Windows 10/Foobar solution for me.
There is also Apple TV which I have heard in a system sound really good.
I tried to use Roku with Pandora, and then Amazon but the Amazon application doesn't do normal resolution audio output.. which is too bad.  It sounds thin or 'compressed' on the Roku.
I tried the Bluesound NODE, and it is good enough for most people but it didn't satisfy my tastes in my room compared to the audio PC running Foobar.

So, there really isn't anything in this space.  I guess Logitech in all their corporate intelligence made a purely financial decision and continued the demise of their company.  I wish Sonos had bought Squeeze and made it into a different product that complimented their lineup... or maybe they could learn from it and apply it to their stuff... but no, had to be Logisuck.  Their keyboards and mice aren't even all that great anymore.  They used to be high quality now they're designed to 'barely make it'. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2022, 02:32 pm »
The HAL MS6 is a good option.  I have a used one for sale here on AC.

GregC

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2022, 01:54 am »
A Sonore Ultrarendu (with linear PSU) can be used as a Squeezelite, DLNA, Roon, or HQPlayer endpoint.  It can also run Logitech Media Server (if you want to stay on the platform), so it can run both the server and the player software for LMS.  It even has a rudimentary MPD player.

I run LMS on my NAS, but if I ever update PERL I will lose the LMS server.  I accidentally updated PERL one time and then downgraded it to get LMS back. 

Nick B

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2022, 07:02 am »
+1 on what JackD said. The iFi Zen at $399 is excellent with a lps. Got mine from Music Direct. I don’t use their software, rather I use Roon. You won’t be disappointed with the SQ. I’m using Fritz speakers, a Supratek preamp and AVA amp and the iFi fits right in.

mitch stl

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2022, 01:49 am »
I use a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated music server. Still using LMS.  I happen to use an external USB drive for music storage, but my arrangement could also access a NAS for local music storage. My setup also supports my Qobuz subscription, and in fact integrates the local and Qobuz services seemlessly.

For end points, I use RPIs there also -- they can be set up to feed an external USB DAC (strongly recommend an RPi4B for this), or use one of several varieties of HATS for SPDIF output or a DAC HAT.  As you can see, lots of options.  I have PiCorePlayer OS on one player and the HiFiBerry OS on two others.  There are other options besides those.  I generally use an Amazon Fire tablet with the Squeeze Ctrl app to select and play music, but can also use my laptop, PC or phone to do this also.

There is a learning curve, but I've always enjoyed that process. Of course, I recognize others like pre-configured plug & play setups. 

GregC

« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2022, 11:17 pm »
When running LMS, you can add the "Material Skin" plug in and the access your server with the [IP address] + "/material" in the URL to access the new UI.  The UI is a more modern look and feel.  You can still use the IP address for the tradition UI if you want.

For example, if your LMS server IP is 192.168.5.123:9000 then use http://192.168.5.123:9000 for the traditional UI and http://192.168.5.123:9000/material for the Material skin.

tday01

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:01 am »
I missed all these replies, apologies.

Budget: Ideally under $500.

Current system is a Logitech music library on a Sinology NAS feeding into logitech squeezebox. The optical out goes into a Audio-GD Master 7 Ultimate PCM1704 UK DAC. Other inputs to the DAC are  AES input,  up to 24bit / 192KHz support,  RCA coaxial input,  up to 24bit / 192KHz support, optical input , up to 24bit / 96KHz support,  I2S input, ,up to 32bit / 192KHz support and USB input,  ,up to 32bit / 192KHz support.

I'd like to continue to be able to use the music library as well as streaming services.

tday01

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:13 am »
A Sonore Ultrarendu (with linear PSU) can be used as a Squeezelite, DLNA, Roon, or HQPlayer endpoint.  It can also run Logitech Media Server (if you want to stay on the platform), so it can run both the server and the player software for LMS.  It even has a rudimentary MPD player.

I run LMS on my NAS, but if I ever update PERL I will lose the LMS server.  I accidentally updated PERL one time and then downgraded it to get LMS back.

That's exactly what happened to me. Hence, looking for upgrade path.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:37 am »
Just another option to look at would be the HAL MS-6 server. I just upgraded from a gaming PC to this little guy, and it is unbelievable the level of performance.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175173.0

Worth looking into if you're open to usb to the dac. I use foobar to access digital files on a networked media server but I know others have used it for Roon and all sorts of streaming services. And it fits in the budget.

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2022, 04:33 pm »
When running LMS, you can add the "Material Skin" plug in and the access your server with the [IP address] + "/material" in the URL to access the new UI.  The UI is a more modern look and feel.  You can still use the IP address for the tradition UI if you want.

For example, if your LMS server IP is 192.168.5.123:9000 then use http://192.168.5.123:9000 for the traditional UI and http://192.168.5.123:9000/material for the Material skin.

How do you add the plugin? 

I still use LMS at home and at work.  One reason is that I can listen on random play, but deselect genres like Christmas and Children. 

tday01

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2022, 06:58 pm »
How do you add the plugin? 

I still use LMS at home and at work.  One reason is that I can listen on random play, but deselect genres like Christmas and Children.
"/

I just did it. Open up the web interface: got to settings, then plugins. It's listed in 3rd party plugins. Install and then add /material at the end of the URL.

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2022, 07:48 pm »
"/

I just did it. Open up the web interface: got to settings, then plugins. It's listed in 3rd party plugins. Install and then add /material at the end of the URL.

Thank you. I can't see it, even after getting new 3rd party plugins.  I'll have to work on it tomorrow.  Will report back.