Bryston BP26 - End of production?

techguy0192

Bryston BP26 - End of production?
« on: 16 Aug 2022, 01:13 am »
Looking around the Bryston site, I noticed that the BP26 is listed in the discontinued product section.  If that's accurate, it had a good long run.  I enjoyed the BP26 I had and wish I'd never sold it.

spinner

Re: Bryston BP26 - End of production?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2022, 01:27 am »
 So what will replace it I wonder.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2022, 12:09 pm »
So what will replace it I wonder.

Hi Folks - we are revamping our website so there may be some mis-steps - the BP-26 is definitely staying in the line but will use the PS-3 power supply going forward rather than the MPS-2.

james

Twiga

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2022, 02:56 am »
Can you please tell us what the major differences are between the MPS-2 and the PS-3 power supplies so that we can assess whether it is worth upgrading?   :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Thanks.

PierreB

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2022, 01:18 pm »
PS-3

MPS-2

Twiga

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2022, 02:21 pm »
Thanks. That is a partial answer to my question. I can see that the PS-3 only powers a single device whereas the MPS-2 will power up to four. What I was really interested in was if there are any qualitative differences to the power supplied that might have an impact on sound quality. Otherwise, there is no incentive to upgrade.

spartana

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2022, 06:49 pm »
In a recent post (topic "Bryston changes july 2022") James wrote:

Hi - yes the full width matches the BP26.  The PS-3 is a much better power supply as well.
best
james

What in particular makes the PS3 better than the MPS2 was not mentioned. It was also stated that the PS3 should become available as full width version too to match the size of the BP26.

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2022, 06:51 pm »
Error

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2022, 06:53 pm »

What in particular makes the PS3 better than the MPS2 was not mentioned. It was also stated that the PS3 should become available as full width version too to match the size of the BP26.

The PS3 can power only one device whereas the MPS2 can power at least two devices.

spartana

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2022, 07:41 pm »
I understood Twiga's question as related to the sound quality and not to the feature set.

Thanks. That is a partial answer to my question. I can see that the PS-3 only powers a single device whereas the MPS-2 will power up to four. What I was really interested in was if there are any qualitative differences to the power supplied that might have an impact on sound quality. Otherwise, there is no incentive to upgrade.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2022, 12:31 pm »

Hi spartana = lower noise floor in the PS3
We are planing on a full chassis version but have to go through a whole new set of safety and hydro test with the sales prevention police  :)

james

Frobozky

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2022, 11:30 pm »
Is there a program to exchange the MPS-2 for the PS 3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2022, 12:17 am »
Hi Frobozky - no sorry there is no exchange program.

james

Julian Stevens

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2022, 10:45 am »
Unless Bryston upgrades the BP26 with its patented Salomie circuitry (and enables this upgrade to be applied to existing units), even if the PS3 is better than the MPS-2, substituting the former for the latter is, I suggest, highly unlikely to bring the performance of the BP26 up to that of the BP17 Cubed, let alone better it.

The BP26 is now a 17 year old design and, although it's been subject to a few evolutionary improvements over the years, it's well overdue for a wholesale revamp, perhaps to the extent of assigning the revised edition a new model number such as BP27 Cubed.

gbaby

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:45 pm »
Unless Bryston upgrades the BP26 with its patented Salomie circuitry (and enables this upgrade to be applied to existing units), even if the PS3 is better than the MPS-2, substituting the former for the latter is, I suggest, highly unlikely to bring the performance of the BP26 up to that of the BP17 Cubed, let alone better it.

The BP26 is now a 17 year old design and, although it's been subject to a few evolutionary improvements over the years, it's well overdue for a wholesale revamp, perhaps to the extent of assigning the revised edition a new model number such as BP27 Cubed.

I think you are sadly mistaken. The Salomie circuitry you refer to is a design connected with cube amps and not the preamp. The BP26 is still state of the art for an analog pre-amp in its price range.

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2022, 09:27 pm »
I believe the BP-17 cubed pre has that new circuit.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2022, 02:40 am »
I believe the BP-17 cubed pre has that new circuit.

...yes, the BP 17³ has the Salomie circuit (and i believe it is the input & output stage). however, i have both preamps at home and i prefer the 26! the 17³ is surely more convenient in some ways (toggling inputs via remote, HT-bypass, double XLR and RCA outputs for biamping, etc) but when i compare the soundstage between these two preamps the 17³ is not much better tbh. and another downside of the 17³ is the NOISE when the unit is in standby-mode. and when using the HT-bypass there is a loud popping noise coming from my speakers. it occurs on any input of the 17³. hell, i can't stand it  :evil:. this is very sad, given the fact that this preamp has the latest and the greatest design...

the nice thing about the 26 is (beside its unique sound quality) that if you turn it OFF it is OFF...there no noise and nothing :thumb:

al.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2022, 02:49 am »

Professional reviewers of Bryston amplifiers over the years have claimed some audible improvement. For the BP26 I have never heard them describe it as anything other than perfectly neutral and that straight wire with gain, impossible to fault. If it ain't broke.

Jozsef

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2022, 05:04 am »

...yes, the BP 17³ has the Salomie circuit (and i believe it is the input & output stage). however, i have both preamps at home and i prefer the 26! the 17³ is surely more convenient in some ways (toggling inputs via remote, HT-bypass, double XLR and RCA outputs for biamping, etc) but when i compare the soundstage between these two preamps the 17³ is not much better tbh. and another downside of the 17³ is the NOISE when the unit is in standby-mode. and when using the HT-bypass there is a loud popping noise coming from my speakers. it occurs on any input of the 17³. hell, i can't stand it  :evil:. this is very sad, given the fact that this preamp has the latest and the greatest design...

the nice thing about the 26 is (beside its unique sound quality) that if you turn it OFF it is OFF...there no noise and nothing :thumb:

al.
My own BP 17³ is a very early one and a free upgrade eliminated the noises it sometimes made during switching and turn off. It does have a warranty!

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2022, 06:10 am »
My own BP 17³ is a very early one and a free upgrade eliminated the noises it sometimes made during switching and turn off. It does have a warranty!
Even if the 'Salomie circuit' offers some degree of audible improvement it must be the case only when compared using associated equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars. We're talking absolutes and a presumed obligation to offer cutting edge technological advancements that matter little to the rank and file. Close to none of us would be able to hear the difference.

Frankly, I can't believe the BP26 is still made now that the BP17 is available with dac and phono and who knows what other features that make it much more useable than a product designed in 1980 something.
It appears that soundwise everyone can live with either of them. Convenience wins for me.