Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?
« Reply #60 on: 18 Aug 2022, 10:47 pm »
Those are interesting. Any idea what's become of the designs? From the reviews I gather they were molded which would have taken considerable time and $$ just for molds to be made. If I had to guess I'd say it wasn't viable financially, which is kinda sad but that's what drives a commercial venture after all. If it can't earn its keep, it will eventually fade into oblivion.

I could get close in looks with stacked lamination, but would be a boat load of work to finish like photos. Easier if a stepped exterior/interior was employed but even that would be huge gob of hand work.

I wonder if the molds could be purchased?

Making the plug would be the tough part. Molds made of fiberglass are easy and reasonable cost.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #61 on: 18 Aug 2022, 11:15 pm »
Making the plug would be the tough part. Molds made of fiberglass are easy and reasonable cost.

Judging from image of interior ribs and reinforcement this was likely injection molded. Article says it's three pieces. I thought of f-glass or even carbon fiber, but I think rigidity would be a concern at reasonable thickness so would need some bracing which I assume ribs were addressing.

Possibly could be done in half shells front and rear and then joined, but still considerable work, not to mention development, some of which is beyond me. And I'd have to work fiberglass, which makes me itch thinking about it!

Doublej

« Reply #62 on: 18 Aug 2022, 11:38 pm »
Why not just 3d print a pair of egg shaped cabinets?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #63 on: 18 Aug 2022, 11:46 pm »
Why not just 3d print a pair of egg shaped cabinets?

Do you have experience with such a thing? Easier said than done,methinks, but I'm your cheerleader if you give it a go.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 19 Aug 2022, 12:39 am »
I could like to suggest the traditional wooden barrel for 15 and 18 inch woffers one of the best solutions to woofers, I suppose the price not expensive as fiber-glass or plastics.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #65 on: 19 Aug 2022, 03:27 am »
...I could get close in looks with stacked lamination, but would be a boat load of work to finish like photos. Easier if a stepped exterior/interior was employed but even that would be huge gob of hand work...
That's how my friend did the Egg part of his Waveform clones mentioned earlier.

rodge827

« Reply #66 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:27 am »
Here is an enclosure design that has very little to no resistance on the driver. It’s a full range single driver rear loaded horn based on the Tractrix theory. Take great drivers out of the “box”, place them in a superior design, and let the magic happen!

Doublej

« Reply #67 on: 19 Aug 2022, 12:31 pm »
Do you have experience with such a thing? Easier said than done,methinks, but I'm your cheerleader if you give it a go.

I've never tried it. I expect the most challenging step in the process will be developing the 3d model itself. Then you have to determine the best material to use, and get access to a printer that is capable of printing large items. I would expect that the printing for such a large item would be outsourced. Here's one I found with a quick search.

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/

charmerci

« Reply #68 on: 19 Aug 2022, 01:42 pm »
Here is an enclosure design that has very little to no resistance on the driver. It’s a full range single driver rear loaded horn based on the Tractrix theory. Take great drivers out of the “box”, place them in a superior design, and let the magic happen!

That's certainly a great design and very likely sounds fantastic but man, is that ugly!  :o 8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #69 on: 19 Aug 2022, 02:55 pm »

That's certainly a great design and very likely sounds fantastic but man, is that ugly!  :o 8)

I disagree, they look very cool to me.  More like art pieces than speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #70 on: 19 Aug 2022, 09:40 pm »
That tie engraved wood is an ornament that does not need to be used, I suppose it only available to Lowthers  :scratch:

ebag4

« Reply #71 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:30 pm »
Agreed, I like the black/maple combination.  I appreciate the additional detail incorporated for the aesthetic.  Very nice.

Best,
Ed

rodge827

« Reply #72 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:35 pm »

Beauty is in the eye…I agree with Tyson!  The first time I saw them up close I was thinking the same thing. A work of art that will
emotionally engage you in the music.

That tie engraved wood is an ornament that does not need to be used, I suppose it only available to Lowthers  :scratch:
Please clarify your statement dunno what your commenting on?

The horns are solid wood Baltic birch plywood! No MDF or compressed cardboard! The chamber holding the Voxativ AF 2.6 is a series of Maple rings and the Maple face supports the driver chamber and is decorative. All cut on a C&C machine.

rodge827

« Reply #73 on: 19 Aug 2022, 11:50 pm »
For a more traditional look the Maestro and MaestroX might fit the bill.

http://charneyaudio.com/the-maestro.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #74 on: 20 Aug 2022, 01:44 pm »

This design, like many adapted to extended range drivers requires lots of math and a bigger cabinet, while most DIYer's would rather make lots of sawdust from multiple simple sealed/ported boxes.  The egg shaped cabinets I referenced above is an alternative.  It uses a deadened molded material in a superior shape. 

dynaflo

« Reply #75 on: 20 Aug 2022, 04:00 pm »

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #76 on: 20 Aug 2022, 04:21 pm »
Another one that looks like that last one.

https://frugal-horn.com/daleks.html

an enclosure design that has very little to no resistance on the driver

There is a restriction coming out of the air cavity that provides signicant resistance above a certain cutoff frequency.

dave
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2022, 05:01 pm by planet10 »

oskar

« Reply #77 on: 26 Aug 2022, 02:33 pm »
Hi all.
Have a look at this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oeplay-powerful-hi-fi-speaker-with-iconic-design#/
What are your opinions regarding this design?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #78 on: 26 Aug 2022, 05:07 pm »
The cyclinder shape sucks. The sphere is nicer but they have not dealth with the transition from the plane to the sphere.

The video is obviosuly from the marketing deportment and the only thing it tells us is that it is an AMT tweeter, which span from junk to really good.

But it is another fully powered driver pair with built-in streaming. Like KEF LSX, LS60 and a growing number from other vendors. This is a system, not a loudspeaker.

If this is the only info available it screams “stay-away” to me. But they might be good.

dave

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #79 on: 28 Aug 2022, 05:34 pm »
Apparently, Parts Express sponsors a diy speaker design contest annually.  One just took place a few weeks ago, first since the start of the pandemic I believe.  My friend who built the active Waveform clones speakers mentioned above is one of the judges for the event. He just sent me a link to the post contest discussion. It includes a lot of pictures of the entries and some discussion of the builds people may find interesting.  There seemed to be very few rectangular box speakers in the contest, so I thought it might be relevant to this discussion.  My friend said the quality of the sound of many of these entries was remarkable, including some in the under $300 category.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1489058-sdc-not-mwaf-2022-fallout-thread#post1489148