Daedalus Athena/Muse vs Omega Loudspeakers

Kray

Re: Daedalus Athena/Muse vs Omega Loudspeakers
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2022, 06:29 pm »
Kray, I have the same speakers with the REL T-5 X'S. You're going to LOVE them. A problem I had, after transporting them laying down, it took about 3 days for the bass to clear up. I was  pretty much completely upset (to put it mildly) at these speakers at first hook up. They smoothed out and are just crazy good. Enjoy! Jeff.

Awesome Jeff! thanks for the reply/advice, and I'll definitely let them play in a couple days before I pass judgement :)
Can't wait... next week can't come soon enough

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2022, 04:40 am »
Kray, welcome to the Daedalus family!  I haven’t heard the DA’s but I received my Muse V.3 earlier this year and absolutely love them. Enjoy!

Kray

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2022, 02:42 pm »
Kray, welcome to the Daedalus family!  I haven’t heard the DA’s but I received my Muse V.3 earlier this year and absolutely love them. Enjoy!

Thanks! Delivery is set for today, this afternoon. can't wait.

Kray

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2022, 03:57 am »
Hi folks. Got my speakers today. Set them up quickly. Need to get them positioned, but first play they sounded very closed in. I read some that since have been been sitting unused for a long time, and went on a heat filled freight ride for a week, that they will need some major break in. Hope so! I don’t have experience with speakers that have a ton of caps in crossovers, but makes sense that they might need some hours on them.

rbbert

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2022, 01:34 pm »
Perhaps 80-100 hours or so (depending on whether they had any break-in period before shipping).  An oftened used technique to make this quicker is to use a CD with a frequency sweep, set on repeat, with the speakers close together and facing each other.  Or you can just listen as you usually do, but it will take longer...

Kray

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2022, 02:04 pm »
Perhaps 80-100 hours or so (depending on whether they had any break-in period before shipping).  An oftened used technique to make this quicker is to use a CD with a frequency sweep, set on repeat, with the speakers close together and facing each other.  Or you can just listen as you usually do, but it will take longer...

Thanks.. I'll look for that CD somewhere. I think I might have something similar from a 'audiophile DSD' package. Also forgot, ad @jmoslberg pointed out to me (we are both Omega and Zenwave guys) that my Zenwave SL17 weren't designed for large crossover speakers, so gonna swap those out.

"17g cable offers the best clarity possible for a copper speaker cable. May not work with more complex crossovers, as sometimes back emf can cause a phase shift and softening of the sound.”

seikosha

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2022, 02:47 pm »
Hi folks. Got my speakers today. Set them up quickly. Need to get them positioned, but first play they sounded very closed in. I read some that since have been been sitting unused for a long time, and went on a heat filled freight ride for a week, that they will need some major break in. Hope so! I don’t have experience with speakers that have a ton of caps in crossovers, but makes sense that they might need some hours on them.

Hopefully, they’ll sort themselves out.  Just be aware that generally speaking, single driver speakers are known for their open and “immediate” sound.  You probably won’t get this with your new speakers but they will also give you things that the Omegas won’t.  It all comes down to what your priorities are.  Good luck!

roscoe65

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2022, 03:19 am »

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2022, 12:09 pm »
It is challenging to make a highly efficient full-range multi-driver system without using a horn, and the key to that is the X-over.

Kray

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2022, 05:10 pm »
Well I'm happy to report.....

I have never experienced a transformation like this before. The first night they sounded like they had we blankets draped over them. Needless to say I was disappointed and wondered if I made a mistake, and the freight shipping being a PITA, was sigh'ing all weekend... but I decided since they had been sitting in a warehouse for a long time and then on a hot freight truck for a week, just maybe they needed a good break in. Then when my friend mentioned the bad speaker cable match, I had hope... so I used a Naim Atom I have here to put on repeat, a test / burn in DSD audiophile playlist I have. I let it play almost 24/7 all weekend, turning it up when we left to go do stuff... also switched out the cables to another set I had. As I was in and out of the room over the weekend tiny examples gave me hope as I thought it sounded better...

I waited until today to sit down and throw on some of my fav test tracks (and ones used Thursday night), and WHAT A RELIEF... everything is open and full from top to bottom. Sounding great, and I don't even have my best gear hooked up yet. Man I was seriously wondering if I made a mistake thursday night. My Omegas took a while to fully break in to their best sound, but it was no where as drastic as these Deadalus. I attribute that to the extremely complex crossover system (vs virtually no crossover in the Omegas)

:dance:

GregC

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2022, 06:13 pm »
Every speaker has a different timeline to sound its best.  My Athena II speakers took a couple months to get fully broken in.  There were ups and downs along the way.  Now they sound as superb as they look.     

cementhead

« Reply #31 on: 6 Aug 2022, 05:05 pm »
Thee same thing that happened to me, Kray. It took 3 days to clear up, and believed I made a big mistake. But, man, do the sing now!! Enjoy!

Kray

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2022, 01:06 am »
Thee same thing that happened to me, Kray. It took 3 days to clear up, and believed I made a big mistake. But, man, do the sing now!! Enjoy!

Kinda crazy.

I’m enjoying them, but trying to decide if I prefer this new sound or the omega and zu sound I’ve previously been accustomed to the past 4yrs. I also have a nice collection of flea watt tube amps and seems the Daedalus prefer some power.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2022, 06:56 pm »
If you are using single ended tube amps the sound should be glorious above 12 watts power