Need a music streamer/amp/dac. have the speakers ? What to buy ?

2bigears

:Dhello all AC good peeps. Need a music server and not at all up on these machines. Budget is 3 or 4 grand.  Is the NAD a good choice ?  Need help as want a good reliable device.  Thanks for any help as I'm not up on these new machines at all.  Thanks much for any help.  :D
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2022, 05:59 pm by 2bigears »

WGH

Re: Need a music server, have the speakers ? What to buy ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:11 am »
Do you want a regular rock or a Swiss Army Rock?

Got to pick the right tool for the job, it all depends on what you want to serve up:

An all-in-one streaming/DAC appliance, there are 100's to choose from.

Music listening using only streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, etc? No ripped music.
Ripped 44.1 kHz flac too?
Hi-res digital downloads 192-768 kHz? Carmen Gomes Inc. album Ray! sounds phenomenal in 768 kHz.
Ability to play DSD files?
Upsampling 44.1 kHz to 384 kHz using HQplayer?

A combination like the HAL MS_6 plus the HoloAudio Spring KTE will fit into your $4000 budget and blow the NAD away with way superior sound quantity.

The Salk Streamplayer has excellent product support. Jim Salk will personally answer questions and walk you through any problems but you will still need a DAC.
https://www.salksound.com/streamplayer.php?model=StreamPlayer+Gen+III+SE

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:32 am »
 :D. Holy moly. Never even knew Jim built these. Very interesting. He is top notch.   :D
        No DAC ,,,,

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2022, 12:42 pm »
First question - do you want a single box solution (server/streamer/DAC) or open to multi box solution?  Assume you're not talking about a built in amp (Bluesound Powernode or NAD C700).

Personally I run a cheap solution for server/streamer (Raspi Pi4 running freeware called Volumio) and spent the $ (comparatively) on the DAC.

The Bluesound product (NAD under the hood) has a great rep as a very affordable and decent unit - can be streamer and DAC or you can use it just as a streamer and add your own DAC in time. 

There are units out there from Audiolab, NAD, Bluesound, Volumio (their Primo is a pre built and configured Pi with their s/w on it) etc.  Depends on what config you're looking for I feel.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:05 pm »

Personally I run a cheap solution for server/streamer (Raspi Pi4 running freeware called Volumio) and spent the $ (comparatively) on the DAC.

I'm running a similar setup, although on a cheap used NUC rather than a Pi.  It feeds a Gustard X16 DAC.  I'm very happy with it and, as you say, it saves a bunch of money.  In my case I put the savings toward speakers.

Volumio is a pretty turnkey system and simple to setup, although having some Linux experience can be helpful but not necessary.

If the OP was interested in dabbling with such a setup first, dipping his toes into the cool refreshing water, I'm sure people here would be happy to provide assistance.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:31 pm »
I'd suggest turn key with direct support in his case - HAL MS6, Salk Stream, Roon Nucleus or equivalent if he wants Roon ecosystem.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:39 pm »
 :D you good cats have left me totally in the DUST. You can buy a cheap server and great dac and still be in the budget ?  Is this route an easy to use ?  It's for my roomie but I'm so not up on the newest tech.   The great thing about NAD or big $$ PS streamer is plug and play. But the PS is 6 large and that's US. I'm in Canada. One box is great but two little boxes are no big deal. KISS is kinda a rule in this home at our age ,,,, we are both retired and love good music and sound.  :D

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:53 pm »
One box is great but two little boxes are no big deal. KISS is kinda a rule in this home at our age ,,,, we are both retired and love good music and sound.  :D

By all means, get a separate DAC and budget $2,500 USD for a used one. Mostly anything in that price range will sound good. Plenty of options are available.

As WGH indicated, you must be very clear on what your needs are. Your title says music server, not music streamer. Will you be streaming music? If not, buy only what you need. Most of these gadgets are like AV receivers -- they have a ton of features, most of which you probably don't need.   

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:57 pm »
 :D thank you thank you and thank you !  See what an idiot I am ?  Ok ,, title will change. A music streamer amp dac all in one ,, not fancy smancy,, just good sound , ease of use and good to great sound.  I see a learning here before $$ goes out for sure.  Like always, it ain't that simple as I thought !  Dam big complicated world,,,,,ha.  :D

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2022, 06:27 pm »
A music streamer amp dac all in one

Well, that certainly clarifies and simplifies what you want! :lol:

OK, you've fought 1/3rd of the battle -- that's good. The second step is choosing the device. The final battle is figuring out how to use the darn thing. :scratch: You may need some grandkids or borrow your neighbor's nerdy child to show you how to work it.   

2bigears

:D well ok,  but is that why people buy NAD all in one or PS gear ? KISS.  The PS is 6 grand your money.  That's getting up there.  One box though ,,  good lord. The new M10 V2 has a touch screen. One box, speakers and a connection.  Now that's easy as cake.  :D

minatophase3

I would recommend the Lumin T2.  I went from a Bluesound Node 2i to the Lumin D2, then upgraded to the T2.  Sound quality is amazing, can use Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect and it also has a proprietary app that will allow you to use Tidal and Qobuz as well as access music from a media server on your network, it is also Roon ready and can handle MQA files if that is important to you.  The price is a little over your budget but the sound quality is simply amazing. 

2bigears

:D. Thank you very much M3,  I will look that up. Sounds like a good plan.   7000 is a lotta lot.  But one box and ya get what ya pay for.... no free lunch.  :D

Early B.

I would recommend the Lumin T2. 

The OP wants an all-in-one solution. The T2 doesn't have an amp.

2bigears

:D haha,, shit. I just figured that out ,, NO AMP .... good lord it does sound like a great player though. Even though a decent amp is not that much jack,,,, it's nice to stay with KISS.   Dam, can't have that cake and eat it too.  No free lunch again.  :D

minatophase3

The OP wants an all-in-one solution. The T2 doesn't have an amp.
My apologies, I missed that part :-)

2bigears

:D none needed M3.  I'm thinking for really good value and sound I might be on the trail of the unicorn ,,,,           The T2 looked dam nice though.   :D

2bigears

:D Salk Sound big gun stream machine with a good dac. Is that possible and worthwhile .... he is a great guy and his machine must be great ?  Ohhhh shit, still would need an amp. Dam. This hobby is gonna put me in a tent with no power yet. 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🤑

TomS

I would take a look at HifiRose line like RS201E, does everything you want, washes dishes too.

2bigears

:D haha.  Guess I will keep doing the dishes. Sold Out says the website.... 
         How about those Naim units ?  1 box    :D