Pontus II or Yggdrasil

TKonrad.NOLA

Pontus II or Yggdrasil
« on: 7 Jun 2022, 07:44 pm »
I am presently using DAC built into my McIntosh MAC7200 and have decided to upgrade.  I think I have narrowed it down to these two.  I am leaning towards the Yggdrasil because it is American made, 5 year warranty and upgradable but something tells me the Denafrips would be more to liking.  Anyone with experience with these two?

jjss49

Re: Pontus II or Yggdrasil
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:28 pm »
i have had both, they are close but overall sonically i preferred the pontus - touch warmer in the mids/midbass and a touch more laid back in the treble, all the while having terrific soundstage and imaging, sometimes i thought the yggy could be a lil bright

schiits have that stupid clicking of internal relay when the input receiver sees an altered sampling rate... drove me batty, click click click

then again the denafrips coax rca input can have compatibility problems with the bluesound node rca digital output at higher sampling rates ... if you have that combo it can be a real problem if you listen to qobuz or tidal with above-redbook content

so each has niggles...

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:31 pm »
That click is there on the Yggy?  I returned the Bitfrost 2 because of that click.    I guess I can rule that one out.

i have had both, they are close but overall sonically i preferred the pontus - touch warmer in the mids/midbass and a touch more laid back in the treble, all the while having terrific soundstage and imaging, sometimes i thought the yggy could be a lil bright

schiits have that stupid clicking of internal relay when the input receiver sees an altered sampling rate... drove me batty, click click click

then again the denafrips coax rca input can have compatibility problems with the bluesound node rca digital output at higher sampling rates ... if you have that combo it can be a real problem if you listen to qobuz or tidal with above-redbook content

so each has niggles...

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2022, 03:00 am »
That click is there on the Yggy?  I returned the Bitfrost 2 because of that click.    I guess I can rule that one out.

oh yes... mikey even speaks about it in the owners manual  :wink:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2022, 06:21 am »

I too have had both and I agree with all the above comments. I will add that the overall bass quality of the Pontus II is very good.

JMW73

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2022, 03:25 pm »
I have the Pontus II and have had a Schiit Gungnir Multibit.  So, not a direct comparison, but as stated the Pontus has a more laidback, warmer feel.  Feels more natural to me.  And the clicking on the Schiit drove me nuts.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2022, 03:55 pm »
The Yggy sounds great and did some things better than my Luxman DA-06.  Never heard the Pontus II.

I would prefer to go with an American made product that has great warranty support vs sending a unit back to Taiwan.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:27 pm »
Last I heard, Denafrips had a stateside tech. But than again, that was over a year ago so I don't know if that's still the case. :scratch:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:39 pm »
Last I heard, Denafrips had a stateside tech. But than again, that was over a year ago so I don't know if that's still the case. :scratch:

Still there: https://www.vinshineaudio.com/support

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:49 pm »
Thx. good to know :thumb:

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2022, 06:23 pm »
The Yggy sounds great and did some things better than my Luxman DA-06.  Never heard the Pontus II.

I would prefer to go with an American made product that has great warranty support vs sending a unit back to Taiwan.

If they didn't CLICK, it would be a no brainer for this reason alone.

bacobits1

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2022, 08:06 pm »
I have had mine, for 4 years at least, a Yiigy A2/USB 5 card upgraded from an A1 it has never clicked with anything I have had in here. It's not going anywhere.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:42 am »
Vinshine does in fact have tech support in Texas from TEK Audio.

https://www.tekaudiospecialties.com/jay-s-audio

jjss49

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:44 am »
denafrips is made in guangzhou, china, not in taiwan

there is a difference

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59900139

djbnh

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2022, 12:58 pm »
The Yggy lacks the Pontus II I2S input. Tough to go back to using other inputs once I heard the clarity re: I2S.