Hi-rez playback issues with BDA-3.14 anyone??

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
Hi-rez playback issues with BDA-3.14 anyone??
« on: 21 Apr 2022, 12:14 pm »
I’ve been having problems with files over 44.1 sample rate, for some time now. Actually through 3 firmware updates, the latest included.
The problem is, songs drop out while playing and sometimes come back, and sometimes remain unplayable. Not necessarily the same song each time, or the same sampling rate either!!
The same files play from the same hard drive (new Samsung SSD) perfectly thru other software. (VLC, VOX)
Is it just my unit or is this being experienced by anyone else?
Thanks for any feedback.

Nitsuave

Re: Hi-rez playback issues with BDA-3.14 anyone??
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2022, 04:54 pm »
I had a similar problem with mine but the most recent firmware update seems to have addressed the problem.
I’ve been able to stream high res files now for over a week without any issues.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2022, 06:22 pm »
I had a similar problem with mine but the most recent firmware update seems to have addressed the problem.
I’ve been able to stream high res files now for over a week without any issues.

Lucky you! I thought the same thing two updates ago, but it started again before the last update, and still frustrated with the whole issue! 😤

speltz

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2022, 04:21 pm »
I don’t have the BDA-3.14, so I may not be much help. But how are you sending the hi-res files to the BDA? Are they streaming wirelessly?
I ask because I doubt the problem is within the BDA, but rather with the transmission from the source. The D-A conversion shouldn’t stutter but the transmission of a large file might. You mention that it’s fine with other software which again suggests the BDA isn’t your issue.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2022, 04:30 pm »
Hi, and thanks for the input. I know the DAC isn’t the issue, it’s the built in raspberry pi streamer that isn’t sending the file seamlessly. Manic Moose software is controlling the Music player daemon in the pi.
I’m feeding the unit from a Samsung SSD that’s new and functioning properly.
When I move the SSD to my iMac and play the exact same files (24/96) , they play perfectly, thru VOX software, so the files and the connection as well as the SSD, are fine.
No other inputs are used other than hdmi from my dvd for sacd/dsd files.
(The sacd functions flawlessly and sounds incredible, BTW!)

I’m waiting on Chris at Bryston to get back to me again, as this is an ongoing problem and I’m starting to suspect a hardware issue.

Thanks again!

speltz

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2022, 04:43 pm »
I hope you’re able to get it sorted out. I know how frustrating these situations can be!

stereoal

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2022, 04:53 pm »
The 3.14 is not meant to handle large hard drives. Bryston doesn't recommend anything more than 1TB and my dealer told me to stick to small flash drives to play music. My 3.14 is still on order to I am not speaking from experience, only from what I have been told. Perhaps your hard drive is too large?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2022, 07:22 pm »
You should read the manual and not rely on your salesman. Large HDD are not relevant, it’s the current draw !
Usually large drives are self powered anyway, but if not, caution on the buss power
From the manual: “USB Disk
USB thumb drives, portable and self powered hard drives, and SSDs are all compatible. Plug your drive into one of the USB Accessory ports. Note that the maximum current draw from these ports is limited. It is probably better to consolidate your library to a single drive rather than across mulitple drives. This becomes especially important if you are using a wifi dongle. When using a wifi dongle, using network attached storage or a desktop model hard drive with its own power supply is considered mandatory in order to adequately power the wifi dongle..
Simply connect your drive and the BDA-3.14 will automatically scan the drive “

I’m using a 1TB HDD
Not the problem.
Thanks anyway

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2022, 08:16 pm »
I think we should get this unit back to have a look.  We have hundreds of units out there with no issues with high res files so I am thinking it is something unique to this unit.

Please email Mike and have him issue an RA.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2022, 08:21 pm »
Thank you James! I will.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2022, 05:17 pm »
Great news! Hi res playback is operational again! Chris sorted out the issue 👍👍✌🏻

WillyP

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2022, 06:14 pm »
That is good news, indeed! Which version is the latest version? My BDA 3.14 has version S2.45 2022-04-23.

WillyP

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2022, 06:39 pm »
I have to assume the next release will include the fix! I’d wait for the unit to tell you the next one is available.
I think I have a work in progress beta

WillyP

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2022, 06:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I was convinced that it would be a software bug. A few months ago I bought Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen in 24/96 format. About 14 hours of music and it played fine, without dropouts. A few updates later this wasn't the case anymore. Good to hear that Chris has solved the problems.

WillyP

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2022, 04:14 pm »
Yup! New release out today! 👍
Chris is awesome!