RonP

Re: High Pass Filter
« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2022, 01:58 pm »
Great info in this thread!

I love this forum.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:57 pm »
Thought I would restate a link that Danny had posted on another thread a while back. Simple calculator that’s easy to use.

http://www.pronine.ca/capimp.htm

RonP

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2022, 02:26 am »
Does phase shift become a problem to correct for when using a high pass filter?

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:56 am »

Jaytor

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2022, 01:42 pm »
After using a variety of series capacitor high-pass filters on my NX-Oticas, I've found I like the sound better without the caps. I get a smoother integration with my OB subs, and the mid to upper bass sounds fuller.

So, for now, I'm leaving them out.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2022, 02:05 pm »
Does phase shift become a problem to correct for when using a high pass filter?
Phase shift is definitely a problem when using a high pass filter.  A single cap is a 45 degree shift at the crossover frequency.  Most low pass filters in subwoofers are between 2nd and 4th order, which is a 90-180 degree shift at the crossover frequency.  When you have a 45 degree shift one way and a 90 or 180 degree shift the other way, you will need some kind of delay and a polarity reverse to get them to work together properly.  I encourage people to leave their main speakers full range.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2022, 02:06 pm »
After using a variety of series capacitor high-pass filters on my NX-Oticas, I've found I like the sound better without the caps. I get a smoother integration with my OB subs, and the mid to upper bass sounds fuller.

So, for now, I'm leaving them out.

This makes a lot of sense.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2022, 02:40 pm »
I've tried in-line caps in the past and ultimately just got rid of them.  To me it sounds better with the speaker run full range.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2022, 04:56 pm »
Subset of Passive Line Level XOs (PLLXO): https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

dave

AKLegal

« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2022, 06:33 pm »
I've tried in-line caps in the past and ultimately just got rid of them.  To me it sounds better with the speaker run full range.

I agree.

Also, in my experience, it is easier to integrate the subs with the mains without the filter. Phase shift, like DannyBadorine has already mentioned, is the main issue. Us REW measuring nuts see it in the measurments.

ahaiden

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:01 am »
If I was doing this for a balanced signal going from pre-amp to amp, using XLRs, then this filter would need two capacitors, right?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2022, 01:28 am »
If I was doing this for a balanced signal going from pre-amp to amp, using XLRs, then this filter would need two capacitors, right?
Correct. One cap for each positive and negative legs. Ground leg will remain unchanged.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jun 2022, 02:15 am »

You will want to make sure that those caps are matched exactly or you will get some problematic phasing. 

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2022, 05:33 pm »
Here's the insides of that same filter

Hobbs! I got help from you not long ago with this filter, THANKS! Great.
But now I’m planning to build two Monoblocks with XLR.

And I didn’t check previous post….. :duh: :duh: :duh:

But a drawing would be great.
You do have a great drawing skill. :D

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2022, 05:49 pm »
But a drawing would be great.

You didn’t follow the link i provided. Formulas and a spreadsheet as well.

Here is one of mine… 1st order 240Hz, to biamp Tysen V2.

dave

Badd99

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jul 2022, 03:56 pm »
Rolling off my nx-otica at ~55hz (3db point) via XLR to amp from my modified schitt fretya + (changed all coupling caps to VCAP ODAM) for 95% of songs it doesn't need it, but when I listen to some really heavy EDM songs with a lot of 20-30hz I will bottom the mid drivers when I am playing quite loud. I just don't want to worry about it. 27k input impedance amp so I used 4 0.1uF VCAP ODAM

I tried sonic caps for fun on the high pass filter, sound was okay but lacked a lot of clarity and punch

Then I tried the miflex pure copper, lot more meat on the bones and better detail across the board

Then I tried VCAP ODAM, without burn in - WOW. FAR better than the above two. VCAP ODAM had everything the pure copper miflex did but added far more details but the biggest thing was the SPACE between notes and THE SOUND STAGE BECAME MASSIVE. I then let 400 hours on them and I about cried at the sound. They sound better with these caps then without them. Using 4 perfectly matched to 0.2% tolerance since doing balanced XLR cables from preamp to amp.

I have my nx-otica using all vcap ODAM bypassed by dueland pure silver 0.01 on the tweeter and the mid cap bulk cap is the sonicap but with a 0.1uF vcap ODAM over the miflex and then another 0.01 dueland pure silver and the detail, musicality, and soundstage is just utter next level real.

I personally wouldn't use a miflex anymore after hearing the VCAP ODAM.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jul 2022, 04:15 pm »
my modified schitt freya +

May i ask how you get this thing apart?

Mine broke, but i am stymied trying to get in to look.

dave

Badd99

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul 2022, 04:46 pm »
I will be posting a full upgrade video on youtube before long, but long story short

pull off volume nob comes right off just pull hard. Remove the 10mm nut and washer.

Now back edge of the unit, either use a rubber mallet or I just use my fist (make a fist, soft bottom part of your hand) and in both back corners HIT the corner at a 45 angle directing the force from back of the unit towards the front. Do in both back corners. Don't be afraid to give it some force. Then the top will slide about 1" inch forward and you pull the top off. Don't be afraid to give  it a good wack. I've opened mine about 4 times now. Easy.

Pro tip when your buttons fall off the front when you take it off, don't worry. Put tape on the holes from the front of the cover so the buttons can be put back in and stuck to the tape as you go to put the top back on. Then when you go to put it back together and then take the tape off the front it's as good as new.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #39 on: 5 Jul 2022, 05:01 pm »
Thank You!!

:^)

dave