Another NX-Studio build

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Another NX-Studio build
« on: 6 Nov 2021, 10:57 pm »
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to make a thread for another NX-Studio build. Currently I have one speaker in clamps and the second one going to be glued up in the morning. These ones will be getting full custom paint cause it sounds like fun and I think Danny would approve. We'll see how it goes, but I'll be excited to give it a try.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Jay's awesome flatpacks and Peter for being super helpful and a great assembly video. I'm excited to make some more progress.

nlitworld

Re: Another NX-Studio build
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2021, 08:46 pm »
So I've made some more regress albeit with a small setback as well. Cabinets are glued up, currently smoothing the joints with filler and sanding before going into primer. The grill cover for the top is already into a satin black so that's going to get grill cloth on it next week. Unfortunately one speaker took a stagedive onto the top back corner. Glue held together strong so it only dented the mdf which has been repaired using some reinforced body filler. Everything is back on track now and good lessons learned in the process. Also, I didn't realize my "small montiors" were going to be bigger than the klipsch floorstanders they were replacing.

Thanks again to everyone recommending the nx-studios over the other options. This has been a fun project so far, and once the internals finally arrive we'll have some serious fun. For now it's time for more sanding so I can finally get them into primer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:07 pm »
Also, I didn't realize my "small montiors" were going to be bigger than the klipsch floorstanders they were replacing.

Well, they ARE from Texas, so that should have tipped you off immediately :P

nlitworld

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2021, 03:12 am »
Finally. FINALLY speakers are into primer. They'll need to be sanded and re-primed just due to the nature of mdf, but all in all they are progressing.

Once I sand and re-prime, that's where the fun with color is going to start!

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2021, 03:53 am »
Oh boy, now the fun part starts.  Can't wait to see how you paint them.

nlitworld

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2021, 04:28 am »
Also a big thanks to NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER for pointing me in the direction of a good speaker grill cloth for the top. The first one I ordered up sucked, but there was one on Amazon that was cheaper and super nice.  :thumb:

Paint scheme will be fun. Blue candy main color, with silver leafing GR logo on the front like a car emblem and knowing Danny is a fan of fast cars I'm putting the model name in fine bright silver along the side like an old sports car side chrome piece. Top will be black grill cloth and satin black on the inside top to look similar to an old vinyl top. Definitely over the top but fitting for these little hotrod speakers.

Digi-G

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2021, 03:39 pm »
Blue candy color!  Awesome.  Can't wait to see them.

I'm building a pair too.  Has taken MUCH longer than I anticipated.  Started them a year ago last month!  It's all my fault though, with other home projects taking priority.  I did have to wait a little while for the speaker kit, but just got it earlier this week.  I won't have any time to work on them until after the holidays though.

nlitworld

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2021, 03:57 pm »

I did have to wait a little while for the speaker kit, but just got it earlier this week.  I won't have any time to work on them until after the holidays though.

I knew I had to wait for my kit, so that's one of the reasons I'm going all out on paint. Since I sell automotive paint as my day gig, I can't help it getting fixated on the coolest colors and best looking paint schemes so F-it we're going all out. In the end it'll probably be 30+ hours of paint and body work and a few hundred in materials, but who's counting... That's actually less than I put into my wife's bike helmet a couple years back.

cementhead

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2021, 07:34 pm »
I see by your "garage", you pretty much had a choice of any color you wanted!  :lol:

nlitworld

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2021, 11:04 pm »
Got an email that my speaker parts have shipped. So excited!! Glad I took the week between Christmas and New Years off so I can work on them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:08 am »
I spent all day getting Studios together shipping orders.
Got maybe 6 sent out today. The remaining orders are a little more involved, but they should go out soon.as well.

We got 35 orders sent out today. Mostly cable kits, minis and Studios.

Looking forward to seeing your results!

nlitworld

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2021, 12:09 am »

The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!

So I finally got my first box of parts, and UPS is showing the no-rez should be here Tuesday.

I'm freakin excited to start wiring these things up. I did pick up some Path resistors and I may just start with that upgrade for now. I did install speaker grill mounts inside so the crossover should be easy to remove as necessary.

As for progress on the boxes, I have one speaker sanded to 220 grit, where the other one still needs to be finished. One point to note, no matter how careful you are during clamping, there will always be high and low spots. Sand them with a long flat block flat and re-prime to ensure there aren't wavy sides. That would be immediately noticable as soon as these go shiny. Uugh.

All in all my weekend has been busy so far. I'm anxious to get through next week since I have vacation over the holiday week. I'll be able to make some real progress then. For now, time to crack the whip and get back to work. :o

nlitworld

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2021, 12:36 am »
Also I just wanted to say a sincere big thank you to Danny and the whole crew. I know you guys are running around working your asses off trying to help everyone and deliver product. These fun projects wouldn't be possible without you guys. :thumb:

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2021, 12:45 am »
Good to see you finally received a majority of your parts. Those foil inductors are heavy little rascals huh?
The timing couldn't be better since, you'll have the holiday week off. Looks like the cabinets are coming around.

I agree with you paint wise, when you go to a gloss finish. The surface is unforgiving, showing any imperfections in a paint job, if close attention to surface prep wasn't dealt with, prior to spraying cabinet.

nlitworld

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2021, 01:22 am »
Those foil inductors are heavy little rascals huh?

Dude... I'm sure the guys don't have to hit the gym when the pallets show up.  :lol:

nlitworld

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2021, 08:02 pm »
Since I'm on vacation this week, I thought I'd hammer out some of the stuff on my build. It's too cold up in WA this week to prime the boxes again so I decided crossovers and top grill covers would be my mission for the moment. I've completed 1 of each bouncing back and forth for a mental break in between. So far, so good but we'll see if they make sound or not.  :scratch:

A big shout out to Argoncat who was so kind as to gift the copper caps for the tweeter. Should be a good upgrade from the sonicaps I hope.

Also I test fitted the crossover into the speaker and those speaker grill mounts work fantastic for easily securing and removing the crossover.

That's all for now. Back to working on these guys.

nlitworld

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2021, 05:25 pm »

Just had to test connectivity before I put away all the soldering stuff, and I'm blown away. I can't move. I'm paralyzed by how amazing it sounds, even just strewn about as it sits. The detail and clarity is unbelievable and these are literally just barely touching contact. Ok, serious double time march on these cabinets so I can get these completed. But seriously, what the #~€/ these things sound so good! Danny, if you read this I just wanted to thank you and your whole crew for putting out the level of product you do and the service you provide. I could not have done this without all the help your team and associates have provided. One or two more songs, then it's back to the garage for more sanding on the cabinets.

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2021, 06:24 pm »
Just had to test connectivity before I put away all the soldering stuff, and I'm blown away. I can't move. I'm paralyzed by how amazing it sounds, even just strewn about as it sits. The detail and clarity is unbelievable and these are literally just barely touching contact.

Welcome to world-class audio.  These are literally some of the very best speakers in the world.  These are not just 'good for the money'.  They are world-class, period.  Can't wait till you get them assembled and burned in and you see what they can REALLY do :thumb:

nlitworld

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2022, 07:02 pm »
I had a question for you guys about burning in the crossovers. Currently I have them hodge podge setup still and just touching contacts for connections but I do have music still playing through them at a lower volume. Is that going to be enough to cut down my burn in time or do they really need to be at real listening level properly soldered to the connections and assembled? Just curious on the process.

Thanks for all the help,
-Lloyd

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jan 2022, 08:36 pm »
I had a question for you guys about burning in the crossovers. Currently I have them hodge podge setup still and just touching contacts for connections but I do have music still playing through them at a lower volume. Is that going to be enough to cut down my burn in time or do they really need to be at real listening level properly soldered to the connections and assembled? Just curious on the process.

Thanks for all the help,
-Lloyd

Oh it'll definitely help.  Although the louder you can do it, the better.  Especially with those big caps, charging and discharging is what really gets them burned in.  For me, I usually try to turn it up during the day and then keep it running at lower volumes overnight.  Running them 24/7 REALLY lets you get some good burn in time on them.