Nelson Freire passed away

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Nelson Freire passed away
« on: 1 Nov 2021, 08:50 pm »
https://slippedisc.com/2021/11/mourning-for-a-piano-giant-77/
Nelson 1944-2021 passed away yesterday at 77 years old in his home in Rio, he started playing the piano at age 3 watching his sister study the instrument. Two years later he gave his first recital at the Municipal Theater of São João Del Rei, at 15 he gave his first concerts.

Acclaimed by European critics Nelson performed with the best orchestras and became an great interpreter of Beethoven and Chopin.

For decades Nelson refused to make recordings, Martha Argerich was his great friend and artistic partner with whom he toured several times and where he performed pieces for two pianos.

Nelson never stopped studying, he spent most of his time alone at home, exercising and developing his technique.
RIP

Mike-48

Re: Nelson Freire passed away
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2021, 11:38 pm »
This is sad news, which I thank you for posting. I have enjoyed maestro Freire's playing on recordings for decades. I especially enjoyed his Brahms and Chopin. I'll use the occasion to listen again to some discs I might not have heard.