"the Open"

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
"the Open"
« on: 17 Jul 2021, 01:02 pm »
Well they're chasing Louis again !  So far the weather, the course's main defense hasn't been much of a factor. Beautiful links layout, shag-nasty bunkers, and fields of rough. Rory's two steps ahead, one back, will he pull it together for a run at the Claret Jug tomorrow ? Time will tell. Still two hours to tee times for Jordan, Collin, Louis, & Co. Can Dustin keep it on the straight & narrow to be in contention tomorrow ?

To offset the lack of weather the R&A has chosen some challenging pin locations today, so as with any Open, fairways & greens will be the key. Any dark horses out there in the herd ? Going to be an interesting two days of golf. Buckle up laddies, it's on.

Tried the free Peacock streaming for yesterday's coverage, not bad. Forgot till it was too late Thurs. Is it just me, and my old eyes, or does CBS have the best camera operators & techs for following the ball ? I always have a hard time with NBC, and the others. Mostly a contrast issue, in the air is about equal, but once the ball is on the ground more often than not I can't pick it up till it stops. Oh well, hope everyone enjoys the tournament whether you watch it live, or record for later.

On the tee.......

RIP Mr. Aliss, and Thank You for all the years of bringing your insight & humor to the announcer's booth.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm by ArthurDent »

jjss49

Re: "the Open"
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2021, 03:40 pm »
would be nice to see oostey get to the finish line this time...  overdue

wonderful if it could happen this week at the british again

happy for jr at torrey but my heart broke for louie

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2021, 04:03 pm »
Dark horse? Perhaps Scottie Scheffler ... if he can sink some putts.

To me, camera coverage is best when played in the USA. Disappointing, regardless of who is covering, when not in USA.

I always record golf tournaments to watch later, at my convenience. This does not always work out. For example, I often fast-forward through the matches if boredom sets in when not a major or interesting (to me) match. But I savor every moment of majors, especially the final day. This past Masters recordings took me into Tuesday evening of watching. After watching the first nine holes of the final day over Monday and Tuesday, I took a break for some refreshments. My wife was in the kitchen looking at her phone and said, "Oh, a Japanese player won the Masters?" AAAAHHHHHGGGGHHHH!  :banghead: :cuss: :duh: Of course, there was only one person who that could have been (Hideki). Hours of excited anticipation shot to hell.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2021, 04:12 pm »
Yesterday's recordings were getting boring to me, watching guys miss 3-4 foot putts, and guys who clearly were not doing well or appeared to have no chance for catching the leaders, especially with predicted perfect weather all weekend. So I watched some of it on fast-forward. Which is rather boring with no sound. So I popped in this CD ... and it was PERFECT!

It was like watching Charlie Chaplin play golf, or if Woody Allen did a movie about golf in the 1920s. Hilarious!

ArthurDent

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm »
I always record golf tournaments to watch later, at my convenience. This does not always work out. For example, I often fast-forward through the matches if boredom sets in when not a major or interesting (to me) match. But I savor every moment of majors, especially the final day. This past Masters recordings took me into Tuesday evening of watching. After watching the first nine holes of the final day over Monday and Tuesday, I took a break for some refreshments. My wife was in the kitchen looking at her phone and said, "Oh, a Japanese player won the Masters?" AAAAHHHHHGGGGHHHH!  :banghead: :cuss: :duh: Of course, there was only one person who that could have been (Hideki). Hours of excited anticipation shot to hell.

Ouch !   :evil:  Scottie still has a long shot. As with the U.S. Open most are fading. Mr. O still has control, Jordan was right there, then oops. Collin's staying cool for a first-timer. Tomorrow should be a good finish, and another tough setup unless they find something other than sunshine & calm winds in the weather forecast.

The Peacock coverage had select groups, 3 I think, as well as a group of holes. I followed Jordan's group thru most of the course, which I think gave a little better feel for what's going on when the general coverage started on the weekend. We'll see how many solicitations they send to get me to become a paying member. I'll stick with the freebie thank you.  8)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2021, 12:59 pm »
Of course we're up early watching the Open all day, but then the Barbasol tournament is on at 4pm.  Why watch an also ran PGA event? My brother is a volunteer for the tournament coverage following whatever group he's assigned to that day.  So we watch the whole tournament to get one good view of him all day sending info on the group back to the TV commentator team.   

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm »
Wow! What a finish! I was really pulling for Spieth to at least tie for a playoff, but Morikawa was too brilliant. Up until now I considered CM's first major win sort of a fluke, one which hinged on that single shot of his back then onto that green (forget which hole and which shot number that was back then - driver, I think). But he sure seems like the real deal. His stats are amazing, but that doesn't necessarily determine greatness. Not like winning does, IMO.

ArthurDent

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2021, 01:37 am »
Seconded ! A nail biter for sure. Would Jordan make up for the bogies on the last two holes Sat ?  Would Louis hang on and grab this major ? Did Collin have the game to take a win in his first British Open ?
Well ..., no, no, and Yes ! Congratulations on a pretty much flawless round of golf Mr. Morikawa. The young man has poise, and skills.

Jordan's game is obviously back, just not quite enough for this test. Louis will keep doing what he does, and I'm sure we'll see him take a major sooner rather than later. Oh well, no more majors till spring when we're back with the Magnolias, but I expect there will be some good tour events yet this season. Hit 'em straight gents.  8)