The listening room

cjsailer

The listening room
« on: 27 May 2021, 12:00 am »
So I notice on Danny's youtube videos, that feature him in his listening room, he's using drapes/curtains for room treatment.  What is the recommendation of the thickness or heaviness of these curtains?  My understanding is that you are trying to control reflections rather than keep sound from entering or escaping.  So if controlling reflections is your goal do you need absurdly heavy curtains?

I have a problematic listening room (it's in the loft of an a-frame house) with wood floors and ceilings.  So my idea would be to use curtains to create artificial walls within this room.

Jaytor

Re: The listening room
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2021, 03:28 am »
I believe Danny has acoustic treatments behind the drapes. Specifically diffusers on the front walls and absorbers at first reflection points. Drakes by themselves won’t do a lot unless they are very heavy fabric.

emailtim

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2021, 03:36 am »
Danny uses a couple of types of diffusers from PI Audio Group.  He may use others as well.

cjsailer

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2021, 09:59 pm »
I believe Danny has acoustic treatments behind the drapes. Specifically diffusers on the front walls and absorbers at first reflection points. Drakes by themselves won’t do a lot unless they are very heavy fabric.
Thanks, I was worried that going too heavy on the curtains might deaden the room too much.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2021, 01:51 am »
The black panels can be seen in front of the drapes. Are there more behind? Doesn't look like there is room. Those are PI Audio Group diffuser's. They are combined with the drapes as the room treatment. Drapes are good for covering large windows. (for sound as well as light).   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2021, 03:56 pm »
The black panels can be seen in front of the drapes. Are there more behind? Doesn't look like there is room. Those are PI Audio Group diffuser's. They are combined with the drapes as the room treatment. Drapes are good for covering large windows. (for sound as well as light).

Yes, there are some substantial bass traps in the corners behind the curtains.