Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #81 on: 16 Dec 2020, 11:34 am »
Hi dirk

No plans on that front.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #82 on: 20 Dec 2020, 11:48 pm »
Hi James I’m going to bite the bullet and start over fresh.  I’m going to use this stock and stream from the internal Pi via Roon.  I’m guessing I won’t be using any input?  I didn’t see or what button I would be on.  Thanks, Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 21 Dec 2020, 11:31 am »
Hi James I’m going to bite the bullet and start over fresh.  I’m going to use this stock and stream from the internal Pi via Roon.  I’m guessing I won’t be using any input?  I didn’t see or what button I would be on.  Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike

The Streamer is the first button on the left.

james

obe0009

« Reply #84 on: 27 Dec 2020, 11:31 am »
Hello,

I have read the thread, and somewhere it is mentioned that Bryston is not a fan of room correction.
However, when I was at Dirac's website. Bryston was mentioned, and selecting the link brought me to the BR20 page of Bryston's website.
Now I am a little confused. Is this an error at Dirac's website or something else?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Olaf

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 27 Dec 2020, 12:40 pm »
Hello,

I have read the thread, and somewhere it is mentioned that Bryston is not a fan of room correction.
However, when I was at Dirac's website. Bryston was mentioned, and selecting the link brought me to the BR20 page of Bryston's website.
Now I am a little confused. Is this an error at Dirac's website or something else?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Olaf

Hi Olaf

One of our products - the SP4 Processor - has Dirac as a feature so that is why they list us.

As a company though we do not recommend room correction above about a 120Hz for a variety of reasons having to do with the way a loudspeaker radiates its energy into a listening room.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #86 on: 30 Dec 2020, 12:03 am »
James when do you think these will hit stores or demo units to listen to. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:05 am »
I hope late January - we are over 100 backordered and we may be closed down for another 28 days due to Covid.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #88 on: 30 Dec 2020, 03:38 pm »
Okay thanks I ordered one yesterday anyhow when she’s done she’s done. 

emcallaway

« Reply #89 on: 2 Jan 2021, 11:50 pm »
I hope late January - we are over 100 backordered and we may be closed down for another 28 days due to Covid.

james

Yikes!  First a fire at the chip plant, then a COVID shutdown.  What's the latest on production of existing orders (mine was placed in late October)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 3 Jan 2021, 11:20 am »
Yikes!  First a fire at the chip plant, then a COVID shutdown.  What's the latest on production of existing orders (mine was placed in late October)?

Hi

We are starting production on Monday but with a small staff so hopefully in mid January we will be able to get a few out.

james

Testsystems

« Reply #91 on: 14 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm »
Hi James,

I am interested in the B20. I am wondering will there be any form of tone controls too "slightly" modify the sound of the source material?  I noticed today a very interesting product from Parks Audio that does line level Tilt, Air, Treble and Base manipulation.  The return of a great idea by Quad.

Cheers
Drew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

Finally starting production on the BR20  :thumb:

drewtee

« Reply #93 on: 21 Jan 2021, 03:41 pm »
Can't quite see the voltage on that one- Is it destined for the Uk!

Sasha

« Reply #94 on: 22 Jan 2021, 03:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

Finally starting production on the BR20  :thumb:

This one is mine, I call dibs.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jan 2021, 05:56 pm »
This one is mine, I call dibs.

17" silver, good choice ;)

NorthMac

« Reply #96 on: 23 Jan 2021, 10:43 pm »
Congrats to Bryston on starting production of the BR-20; must always bring a bit of excitement to the company when new products are well received so quickly.  And, from what I can tell, still without any real reviews in the audio press?

aleduc

« Reply #97 on: 27 Jan 2021, 12:42 pm »
Hello James,

What a great preamp this will be!  I own the BDA-3, BHA-1, B135 cubed but one day will be purchasing a separate amp/preamp and this could be a great replacement for my existing components.  My only comment/question, is why just 2 RCA input and no RCA outputs but 10 digital inputs?  Once I plug my phono stage (MC) and my SACD player (no HDMI output), all RCA inputs will be used...   I'm sure you guys discussed this at length but it would be nice to know the rationale.  I'm puzzled!

Cheers!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:56 pm »

Hi Al

Good question.

We discussed the number and type of inputs and outputs and there are a number of considerations we discussed.
1. The world is moving to more digital inputs and less analog.
2. Circuit layout is a factor to maintain short signal paths and ground issues between analog and digital especially with low voltage phono circuits.
3. XLR connectors and circuits are far better for low noise operation and you can always use an XLR to RCA cable if required.
4. The amount of rear panel real estate that is available.

So all of the above and some I have probably forgot entered into the decision making.

james

emcallaway

« Reply #99 on: 10 Feb 2021, 03:50 pm »
James (and team),

Congratulations on the recent transaction, and here's to the bright future of Bryston.

Question on the streamer in the BR-20 (and the BDA-3.14 for that matter).  The website says, "Digital connectivity between the internal music player and the DAC is managed using the I2S protocol, a premium interface standard used for connecting digital audio devices together that preserves audio and clock data with virtually zero error."  However, can performance of the streamer be improved by focusing on the incoming signal? 

In a recent article in The Absolute Sound, Stephen Scharf extols the benefits of using an Uptone Audio EtherREGEN switch to reclock incoming data for digital streamers.  Before spending $650 on that, I wondered if it would be effective on the BR-20 or BDA 3.14 streamers.  Does the I2S protocol in the Bryston units render this superfluous?   If the BDA-3 clock overrides upstream clocking, there’s no issue to fix, right?  Or does the BDA-3 clock simply preserve the incoming signal as presented, without introducing new jitter (but not eliminating any pre-exisitng jitter)?

I hope I've phrased this right.  Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ed