Triple 12" OB H-Frame servo sub flat packs from Captainhemo

Rock Ball

I just received these flat packs from Captainhemo.  Each box contains the cabinet parts for a triple 12" OB H-Frame sub and amp.

Even the empty box is impressive:

Well, I couldn't be happier with the quality.  Thanks Jay!

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
Re: Triple 12" OB H-Frame servo sub flat packs from Captainhemo
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2020, 12:40 am »
Is it ok to ask the price of these ?

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2020, 01:09 am »
Thanks for the feedback Allen,  appreciate it.
Anyone interested  can  view the thread   Allen linked to above  or email me at  captainhemo at shaw.ca

Allen,  keep the pcis coming   throughout the build if you   can and let  us know if you  have any questions.  Should fit up nice  for you.

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:37 am »
Ya thanks for posting! These will be my next GR build.

ketchup

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:44 am »
That is some nice packaging!  I can't wait to order mine!  How much does one of those boxes weigh?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:51 am »
I suspect Jay and Don feel the same way I do about packing. Plan for the worst. Everybody loses if stuff shows up damaged.

Bombproof, what's not to like!

These might spoil you though, what's said about open baffle bass is  true, but I think one really has to experience it to... well, experience it!

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:23 am »
That is some nice packaging!  I can't wait to order mine!  How much does one of those boxes weigh?

Approx  95lbs ,  can vary a little bit depending on what options the customer  chooses.

jay

Rock Ball

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2020, 03:51 pm »
Sorry I didn't update this as I built them, but my OCD takes over and I can only do one thing at a time!  Then there was the delay for the last few days where all I wanted to do was listen to them because my system sounds so much better now.

Let me start the update by saying that I made some rookie woodworker mistakes.

(Demotivator poster with the caption 'MISTAKES - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others")

Fortunately, I was able to recover from them without too many problems.  I am very happy with the final result.

First, I assembled the first amp box with ratchet band clamps.

Because the ratchet band clamps took a little time to put on the first box, I decided to try standard claps on the second amp box.

Both ways worked out well.

Next, I did a dry fit of the first cabinet.  Everything fit perfect.

Here's where I made my first mistake.  I should have practiced the assembly sequence with the dry fit, instead of just randomly putting the cabinet pieces together. 

The next mistake was my biggest.  I did not have strong enough clamps when I glued the box together.  After applying the Titebond Original glue in the dados, the fit was much tighter.  I couldn't apply enough torque with the clamps to squeeze the pieces all the way together.  I was taking so long that I thought the glue was setting too much to keep trying further.  I didn't realize that the gap was so large on the one side.

Second gap.

Of course, this caused me problems with fitting the top and bottom pieces.  I felt I needed to get those attached as quick as possible because I may not be able to get them lined up later after everything had completely dried.

For the second cabinet, I practiced the assembly sequence with a dry fit and thought I had everything worked out.  It all fit perfectly.

I applied the Titebond to a section at a time, instead of doing all the cabinet parts at once like I did on the first cabinet.  This went better until I got to the middle pieces.  They weren't sliding in place so I had to lift the top (side) to get them in place.  After that, I could not get the top back down.  My clamps weren't strong enough.  I got a hammer and started pounding, using a piece of wood to protect the MDF.  It took a lot of hammering but I finally got it together.  At that point, no clamps were needed to keep the pieces together.  It was solid.  If I'd hammered the first cabinet pieces in place, it would have turned out better.

The top and bottoms went on the second cabinet without a problem.

After painting, I hauled them into my home theater to install the servo drivers and wire them.

Next, I cut and installed the No Rez.  I haven't decided where I want to install the Neutrik connector housings on the cabinets yet, so they are not 100% done yet.

I was surprised at how much improvement these subs made to the overall sound of my system.  Of course the low end sounded great, but everything sounded better.  I think the booming, muddy bass in my room with my old sub was affecting the upper frequencies as well.

Soon, I'll be getting the NX-Tremes flat packs from Jay and will make another huge leap in sound.

A request, please.  I'd like to hear from the woodworking pros about ways to avoid the mistakes I made.  I think it would be helpful to some like me who aren't pros, that will be building these someday.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:09 pm »
Triples!  Man you do not mess around :thumb:

I agree, box sub bass will tend to overload the room which leads to worse sound even in the mids/highs. 

Re: the mistake - that would be hard to recover from with a box speaker because those MUST be airtight.  But with OB, it's less critical .

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:33 pm »
Some thoughts on assembly. I have not assembled Jay's kit so these are general.

1. Band clamps pull diagonally on whole assembly, linear clamps better in many cases. It's all kind of a geometric puzzle.

2. Have a game plan. Dry fit and meditate before launching  :)

3. Slow set glue buys time http://www.titebond.com/product/glues/d7c6f86b-93cc-4400-99ed-79f8a75a2e95

4. On some multi-part assemblies, glue up in segments using dry joints in key areas to keep things square and copacetic.

5. Check for square during assembly. Try square, diagonals measurement, speed square. Linear clamps can be canted to correct.

Like most things, practice and forethought will yield better and better results. No one is born to knowledge of anything. I've learned much from mistakes, both mine and other's. Our goal is not perfection, but constant improvement, but that might veer into "Peter philosophy". Some of the best advice I've received was to replace the words "I f'd up" with "next time I'll...". 

Rock Ball

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:44 pm »
Thanks Peter.

It would have been so much worse for me if I hadn't have studied (and I mean studied) your YouTube videos beforehand.  I probably would have destroyed the first cabinet.

gguy

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:05 pm »
Dry fit and game planning was essential for me.  I also had the clamps pre-sized and locations marked

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:28 pm »
Totally agree with Peter..... I've done some doozies    but at least  learned from them.
I wish you'd  emailed me or called....  I have done so many of these cabinets   now that   I have a pretty good  method  for doing them and keeping  thngs  tidy.

You  do not need  a ton of glue in the dado's,  a decent amount on the  "back" of the the dado ( not the sides)  will squish into the rest of the joint after  clamp up  but won't swell the joints  making  asembly difficult

I guess I should  really do up  a suggested assembly  step by step....
Peter  and I have also talked about something   that may be useful.... stay  tuned

jay

DeeJayBump

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:42 pm »

I guess I should  really do up  a suggested assembly  step by step....
Peter  and I have also talked about something   that may be useful.... stay  tuned

Absolutely.

This would be very helpful for those of us [myself included] that are new to building + assembling. In addition to a step by step guide, pictures or video of the correct amount & placement of glue to use as well as any other tips and tricks would be helpful.

Rock Ball

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:43 pm »
Thanks Jay.

I thought everything was pretty straight forward with them because they fit so well at first.  I didn't realize I was in trouble until after the gluing started, and at that point there was no turning back.

I will definitely contact you before I get started on the NX-Tremes.  It sounds like the Titebond Extend that Peter linked to is what I should use on them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:55 pm »
Thanks Jay.

I thought everything was pretty straight forward with them because they fit so well at first.  I didn't realize I was in trouble until after the gluing started, and at that point there was no turning back.

I will definitely contact you before I get started on the NX-Tremes.  It sounds like the Titebond Extend that Peter linked to is what I should use on them.

Yes, that glue will definately help  you, you'll want the extra time it will provide withthe NX-Treme's.
We'll chat before  you    assemble them

jay

Rock Ball

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:56 pm »
As a final point, I just want to be clear about something.  I spread the glue on the sides of the dados, as if they were rabbets.  I now think this was a major contributor to my problems.  If I had applied the right amount of slower-setting glue only to the back of the dados, as Jay said, I think the pieces would have gone together much easier.

Hopefully, some will learn from my mistake.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2020, 06:39 pm »
That's a good thing to recognize and pass along, Rock Ball. The MDF fibers swell with the moisture in the glue and have the effect of tightening things up, making assembly more difficult.

I think there's a tendency towards overuse of glue in many cases. Especially on precision assemblies like CNC flat packs, one could almost dot glue here and there and the structure would not suffer.

One of my pet peeves: Glue outside the joint does nothing to enhance strength. I see some builders smear a fillet of glue in the crux of a right angle joint and it just isn't necessary or beneficial and sometimes a detriment. Epoxy with fiber, as used on fairing boat hulls is a rare exception.

Some food for thought on wood glue regardless of type of brand; The weak link in a good joint isn't the glue, it's the wood itself, whether MDF, plywood or timber.

kmoser

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:41 pm »
Very helpful to know your experiences with the assembly.