Batch convert .wav to MP3 320 SW?

ASCTLC

Batch convert .wav to MP3 320 SW?
« on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:03 pm »
I have all my CDs ripped to .wav on my computer for storage and listening but for my car stereo I need either MP3 or WMA to manage them all reasonably.  For the car, I'm expecting something like MP3 320kps to be sufficient quality for that environment.

So, I'm asking here because I'm obviously failing to search and recognize a trusted freeware that will batch convert my .wav files to .mp3 into another separate folder, to preserve my existing .wav files.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Andy

mcgsxr

Re: Batch convert .wav to MP3 320 SW?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:19 pm »
In the past I once wanted to batch process FLAC to ALAC and used Monkeymedia at the time.  I am certain it could have done mp3 as well.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:20 pm »
I can't help with Freeware, but my preferred player on the PC, J River Media Center, also does duty of syncing to a handheld device (Android phone, USB drive, etc.) while converting to another specified format on the fly (just as iTunes can do with an iDevice, up to 256kbps).

This negates the hassle of manually maintaining separate copies and automatically keeps you up to date without having to remember to convert newly added files.  I use 320kbps MP3 for the car, and the conversion options also allow you to perform any other DSP functions, such as level boost or equalization.

Using a sync function also allows you to sync to static or smart playlists, if you don't want to sync the entire library.

A cache folder is maintained on the computer, so that any new syncs of previously synced files are copied over without conversion being required each time.

I played with MediaMonkey MusicBee, which has a similar option, but it was not able to recognize all of my AIFF files ..... if you have no AIFF files, it may work for you.

Steve
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2016, 09:12 pm by srb »

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:58 pm »
Foobar will do it, but some basic config is needed.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2016, 09:07 pm »
Foobar
MusicBee

ASCTLC

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2016, 09:19 pm »
Hey, I have Foobar2000 already.  I'll see if I can figure how to do it with that.  I'll check the others too.

eta: looks like Foobar only does MP3 (LAME) @190kps, not the 320kps I want.  Maybe 190kps is sufficient for my car, but then again, the MP3 LAME would have to be supported for search and mgt in the stereo and I'm not sure it is.

I'm also getting the impression it will convert my playlists to the new format and I lose my .wav files doing it.

Thanks all,
Andy

chip

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2016, 01:30 am »
You have to highlight the 190 mp3 and click edit and then you can change it to 320.

ASCTLC

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll go check that again.  Just nervous it'll convert my original .wav files and leave me hosed with only compressed library files to play on home system.

Am I understanding correctly that the Foobar playlist (only a sized 1MB file) simply points to my library of music chosen?  So if I convert my playlist it actually converts each song at the sourced library?

chip

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2016, 04:01 pm »
You set it up to convert the MPs to a new folder....

Example :

Wave files are stored at C:\Music\Wav\

Foobar convert folder - C:\Music\MP3\

This may be helpful - http://audiophilesoft.com/articles/my/foobar2000-converter-setup.html

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2016, 06:50 pm »
The worst thing that will happen is that the converted file ends up in the same directory....you will not affect the original files.

ASCTLC

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2016, 09:58 pm »
Sweet!  I appreciate you guys sticking with me to get that through my head!!  I'll give that a go and see where I end up.

firedog

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:18 am »
dbpoweramp and JRiver will both do it

ASCTLC

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2016, 08:14 pm »
I think I finally whipped this thing.  :whip:

I had to download the LAME encoder files and get Foobar's converter pointed to it.  A test of a few albums from different bands and it grabbed it all. 

Testing the MP3 320kps against the same song in .wav format was positive.  I could not discern any difference in clarity on the car's system.

Next to do is play with the Kenwood Music Editor Lite and see if I can get the albums on the thumb drive into preferred Playlists.

Andy